Finding a last minute cruise while in Florida?

Boozebabe

Has anyone ever tried to book a last minute (literally) cruise while you were in Florida? We are retiring and have a little plan to get in the car and just drive. We could possibly end up in southern Florida and may like to take an impromptu cruise. If we couldn't get one it wouldn't be a big deal as we would have no other plans.

Has anyone ever done this?

We always research everything and plan it all out because we sooo look forward to our annual cruise every year. But I'm thinking a last minute cruise may not be possible because of customs and security issues. Every cruiser needs to clear a full background check. Your best bet is calling the cruise line you're interested and asking them.

I too would love to see responses on this, I can share what little I know. I live about 20 minutes from a port and have never heard of someone just walking on a day of for a great price...but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I believe the best prices to be a few weeks out, because they do not want to sail empty. My DH's stepgrandmother had a daughter who worked for Carnival corporate when my DH was young and he said they got some great deals a day or two out- so I think they often go to people who work for the company/their relatives.

I have always wondered if you could board "on call" - for example, if one room has not shown up by the end of boarding - will they sell you the room cheap? Or do they have people who live near port they call to sell those to??

Edited by GatorGirl57

I wouldn't expect to board the same day. I know thats not possible. If we are in Florida I would call or go to headquarters a couple days before a sailing. I'd also have my computer with me to check available staterooms.

We plan to become free spirits for a few weeks at a time

I too would love to see responses on this, I can share what little I know. I live about 20 minutes from a port and have never heard of someone just walking on a day of for a great price...but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I believe the best prices to be a few weeks out, because they do not want to sail empty. My DH's stepgrandmother had a daughter who worked for Carnival corporate when my DH was young and he said they got some great deals a day or two out- so I think they often go to people who work for the company/their relatives.

I have always wondered if you could board "on call" - for example, if one room has not shown up by the end of boarding - will they sell you the room cheap? Or do they have people who live near port they call to sell those to??

We met a couple once on a Carnival ship that were retired and live in Ft Lauderdale. They were on their 4th cruise that month.. They'd taken 3 four day cruises and were on the 7 day with us. They said they got calls from the Carnival office and rarely turned down a cruise. They said for them it was cheaper than staying home. They got someone to drop them at the port so no parking fees. They said they eat out most of the time at home so I could see how it may be cheaper. A year later we ran into them at the port. They were getting off the ship and we were getting on.

Edited by Boozebabe

Has anyone ever tried to book a last minute (literally) cruise while you were in Florida? We are retiring and have a little plan to get in the car and just drive. We could possibly end up in southern Florida and may like to take an impromptu cruise. If we couldn't get one it wouldn't be a big deal as we would have no other plans.

Congratulations on your retirement!

Not saying that it can't be done, but absolutely last minute booking is not very common these days. It used to be more common that it is today.

Carnival is required to provide the Department of Homeland Security a manifest of all passengers at least 60 minutes prior to embarkation beginning. It is recommended that you have your online check-in completed at least 3 days prior to sail date.

That being said, Carnival usually sails full so getting a last minute deal is a lot less likely than it used to be. I guess it all comes down to what your definition of last minute is.

Hope it works out for you.

I would keep the 800 number to see what they have AND the number for a TA from online as a lot of the rooms are sold to travel agents and they might be holding the type of cabin you want if the cruise line does not that close to departure.

I wouldn't expect to board the same day. I know thats not possible. If we are in Florida I would call or go to headquarters a couple days before a sailing. I'd also have my computer with me to check available staterooms.

We plan to become free spirits for a few weeks at a time

You can book and board the same day, but you have to book through Carnival directly. You'd probably have to do all the check-in paperwork at the pier. We booked 20 hours out, but it was the day before so we were able to do that online.

If you are not a past quest on that line...inquire as to how many days before can you book? It is for immigration. I think it is two or three days before sailing. I don't keep up on that , and they seem to change the rules yearly, so that may not be the case.

We live in Florida and have booked a cruise on Monday that sailed on Saturday. it was after a family crisis and we wanted to just get away and get our heads together. We booked online, they already had most of our immigration information online...we did the rest..set up accounts...got extra medical insurance over the internet.........and went. We wound up having a great time. when we came back, we did not care much what happened, so of course then it resolved itself very nicely.

and we had an inside cabin. Verandah Deck. right by the Mid ship Elevator. We had nothing to do but talk to each other, the room was so close, and that turned out to be a blessing.

I loved that cruise. it is one of my all time favorites. and the fare was very reasonable.

What a coincidence. I received a mailing from Princess yesterday for People who live in Fort Lauderdale. it was a last minute set of cruises, and the prices were good. The one on the four and five day cruise....very good. I don't live in Fort Lauderdale, I live about a six hour drive away. I hope they keep sending me those mailings. We are taking care of our grand daughter two days a week until school is out in June, but after that.........we are free. And A six hour drive is not that bad.

Edited by AmberTeka

This all sounds very encouraging. We have cruised Carnival many times so hopefully they have all the passport info etc. since that hasn't changed since our last cruise. So maybe if the spirit moves us we will give them a call and see what they have open in a day or say. Of course befoe I leave home I have to plan what to pack, just in case.

Thanks for the replies.

This all sounds very encouraging. We have cruised Carnival many times so hopefully they have all the passport info etc. since that hasn't changed since our last cruise. So maybe if the spirit moves us we will give them a call and see what they have open in a day or say. Of course befoe I leave home I have to plan what to pack, just in case.

Thanks for the replies.

They don't keep the passport information. Take them with you and that way you're prepared just in case. Last minute cruises are a lot of fun.

You can book a Carnival cruise the day of sailing. You just have to call for pricing.

Last month my friend wanted to go with me on the Independence of the Seas very last minute. When I called the lady told that it wasn't possible, because the manifest had already been sent out!

I think you will have up to 24 hours before the cruise to book or close to that.

Edited by Topo Gigio

Last month my friend wanted to go with me on the Independence of the Seas very last minute. When I called the lady told that it wasn't possible, because the manifest had already been sent out!

I think you will have up to 24 hours before the cruise to book or close to that.

Royal Caribbean requires the sailing to be booked by the second or third day prior to sailing. Carnival and Norwegian allow you to book a cruise leaving the same day.

Edited by Disconnections

I booked a cruise on Celebrity less than 24 hours before it left....so you do NOT need to book a few days ahead. The agent said it had to be done by noon or so preferably.....

So, call the cruise line and see.....worst thing they can say is no...each cruise line may vary, but chances are, if it's a couple days ahead and there are cabins, you would be able to go.

A co-worker of mine does this a lot. IN fact he's retiring and his goal is a cruise at least every a minimum of every 3 months. The biggest difference is here in Florida we get special residents rates to sail (Carnival has 5 ports in the state) so its cheaper for someone local to sail than for you to get on at the last minute. If you decide to retire here to Florida (we have no state income tax THANK YOU TOURISTS) it will be a lot easier for you to book literally last minute cruises.

We don't plan to retire there. We just want to get in the car and go wherever. We did that a couple years ago and had the best vacation. NO PLANS--JUST DRIVE til we find something. If we happen to end up in Florida or whatever city has a port we just may try to book last minute---or not. Just fly by the seat of our pants.

Can you give me a few examples of what kind of low fares you've seen to book a cruise within a few days of sailing?

Inside?

Balcony?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Our last minute (<20 hours until embarkation) cruise was $700pp ($2100 total) for three of us in a regular balcony on a 7 day out of Baltimore. It's the most we've ever paid, but we wanted out of the snow.

I am sure others on here will have me beat, but my best price was $536.14 for my DH and I including all taxes and fees for a 4-day out of Port Canaveral on RCCL. $67 per day, per person. This was an inside I booked two weeks out. Sailed in Sept.

I have seen better pricing, but we work full-time, so we normally can't just jump on the boat. When we did this cruise, our work situations were a little different.

Edited by GatorGirl57

If you go to the Carnival web site I believe you will find the last minute availability listed under the "Pack and Go" section. It is my understanding that Homeland Security requires all cruise lines to stop accepting bookings 24 hours before departure, but I have never seen this in writing. However, as others have stated, Carnival usually sails full, so I wonder if there would be anything available 1 or 2 days before departure.

If you go to the Carnival web site I believe you will find the last minute availability listed under the "Pack and Go" section. It is my understanding that Homeland Security requires all cruise lines to stop accepting bookings 24 hours before departure, but I have never seen this in writing. However, as others have stated, Carnival usually sails full, so I wonder if there would be anything available 1 or 2 days before departure.

The manifest is sent 60 minutes prior to departure. The cruise line determines their own policy of when to stop bookings. Carnival, Norwegian, Celebrity and others allow same day bookings by phone. Royal Caribbean requires either two or three days prior to departure. Carnival always sails full due to their occupancy percentages, based on double occupancy. However, if you call up day of departure, unless you are during a holiday week or peak season, chances are there will be a stateroom available for you to book. It may not be the location of the ship you want or the type of stateroom you want, but there is usually one available. Last minute cancellations happen and sometimes, staterooms remain available.

Edited by Disconnections