3-4 hours in Seattle before p.m. Amtrak train

cheriemck

Our flight arrives in Seattle at 1:10pm and we're departing via Amtrak at 6:50pm. Our plan is to drop our luggage at Amtrak ($4 per bag) and (if the weather cooperates) walk to Pike Place via the seawall, returning back to Amtrak through Pioneer Square. I put together a walking map but realize that it doesn't 'know' the area like a local would. I don't want to miss something wonderful that may be a street or 2 over! This is on a Friday if that matters.

Could someone please suggest a route for us so we don't miss something? Head west until we hit water? We like scenery and history. We aren't into shopping and we intend to just grab a bite to eat as we go whenever something looks interesting.

Thank you so much!

Without knowing what you've already planned, it's tough to critique or make alternative suggestions. Basically it's an okay schematic. I'm assuming this is during cruise season, but is it on a weekday or weekend?

The Pike market is never uncrowded, but it does start tapering off in the late afternoon, so if you're going just to see things, it's fine.

I'll throw out a couple of places/activities that may or may not be on your radar; you could work them into your plans or not depending on mood and convenience.

Waterfall Garden - this is a small courtyard in Pioneer Square with a man-made waterfall. It's really a very lovely and surprising little place in the middle of the historic district. Funded by UPS - it's the site of their first operation.

Uwajimaya - Uwajimaya is a terrific pan-Asian (heavily Japanese) grocery/department store in the International District a couple of blocks from the train station. I know you say you don't like shopping, but this place is really fun, and the little food court is a great place to "get local" while noshing on Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, or Hawaiian yummies. Pick up some cool/weird Japanese treats for the train or cruise.

West Seattle Water Taxi - this is a 15-min boat ride from Pier 50 (next to the ferry dock - very close to Pioneer Square and right on your walking route) over to Seacrest Park pier in West Seattle, a peninsula where one side faces the city and the other faces the Olympic mountains. The ride is spectacular with views of the city skyline, and when you get to West Seattle there's a level promenade that runs along the waterfront all the way to Alki Beach with its mini Statue of Liberty and volleyball nets. There's a great little Korean/Mexican/Hawaiian cafe on the dock, or you can walk (or take the free shuttle bus) around the point to all the cafes and shops at Alki Beach. This is a terrific activity on a summer afternoon, and honestly, if you wanted a great couple of non-touristy hours you could just take the water taxi and spend your whole time walking and enjoying the views of city, mountains, passing ferries... pure 100% Seattle without the vaudeville of fish-throwing at the Pike market.

View from the W. Seattle dock - http://gardyloo.us/20091226_31a.JPG

Looking south from the same place - (Salty's on Alki, a good waterfront restaurant, with Mt. Rainier behind) - http://gardyloo.us/20091226_30a.JPG

We're coming Friday April 25th. I hadn't considered the Water Taxi and West Seattle but I like that idea. I guess we'll have to see what time it is when we can get there since there are only limited crossings. Maybe we can see the Waterfall Garden before or after.

We happened upon the Klondike National Historic site museum in Seattle in summer 2013. So very interesting and now we find ourselves heading to Alaska on a cruise to see if for ourselves! If you have an hour to spare, give the museum a try. Lots to see and read for all ages.

Have you looked into the variety of museums that are in downtown? Science and aquarium and museum of industry, for example.

Most of them aren't exactly downtown. The Pacific Science Center is at Seattle Center, and the Museum of History and Industry is in South Lake Union. The aquarium is the closest of these three--it's on the waterfront, on Alaska Way. I suppose you could get to any one of them in the time that the OP has, especially if you take a cab to and from, and hustle around the place--but I wouldn't risk it in Friday afternoon traffic. The museums are indeed great, but maybe not for this occasion.

(The Seattle Art Museum is closer--just up First Avenue a few blocks from Pioneer Square, where King Street Station is located. You'd never see all of it in that amount of time, but there might be just one section, or a special exhibition, that you'd want to see.)

People line up to get seat assignments for the train before they start giving them out, and I believe they do that about half an hour before the train is scheduled to leave. Especially if you want to sit on the side by the water (definitely the best views), you'll want to be in that line, and not too far back. Personally, I would stay in the neighborhood, and not go much farther away than Pike Place Market.

Since you like history, the Klondike Museum is a great choice. Another one I don't think anyone has mentioned is the Underground Tour. They take you through the basements and under the sidewalks of what used to be the street level in Pioneer Square, Seattle's oldest neighborhood. They tell you a lot of colorful history and a few corny jokes in the process. Since your schedule is tight, you'd want to book in advance if you want to do this tour.