Choosing first Solo Mediterranean -- and scared to death

islndchica

So, I've been putting off a Europe trip because I've been waiting around for company. Since this has yet to happen, I've decided to bite the bullet and take a cruise alone.

I'm looking to go the 1st week of Sept, and I'm torn between a Western Mediterranean cruise on NCL Epic or RCCL Liberty of the Seas. I was hoping I'd get some input to help me with my decision.

A little about myself:

- I'm 32 years old

- I'm a total foodie

- I love to dance

- I enjoy meeting new people, but I'm a little nervous making the first step

Anyone have any experiences they can share or recommendations that may help me with my decision. Cost is an issue, but I'm willing to pay the single supplement on RCCL if I think I'll have a better experience.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Edited by islndchica

I have cruised solo three times and thoroughly enjoyed it. Cruise ships are relatively safe and welcoming for solos.

As for choice of ship I would go for one with fixed/traditional dining, as I like to meet companions for my evening meal, so that would rule out NCL.

I'm sure if you 'go with the flow' and join in with activities you will have a wonderful time.

PS sit at bar not at a table, nothing like being greeted by name and barman making sure there is enough of your favourite tipple (doesn't have to be alcoholic) to make you feel at home.

Edited by FangedRose

In your situation, I'd take the Epic hands down, because of the studio lounge and the solo gatherings there. And NCL has tons of specialty restaurants so you can try lots of different ones. I have never sailed on RCCL (or Epic for that matter, although I was on the NCL Sky) but my understanding is that neither line is thought of as a foodie line.

Neither line is a foodie line.........

Really "exceptional food" would be on the high end luxury lines.........

those that are the smaller ships and very $$$$. Most of the Mass

Market lines do have "specialty restaurants" where the food would be

better than in the Main Dining room though. They are extra money

but many are excellent.

As for other things? I would suggest checking out the roll call for the

cruise you end up picking......it is a great way to meet other people:)

Oh, I have been sailing solo for 10 years and going on another one next month:)

It is the only way I cruise.

Edited by Lois R

I have cruised solo three times and thoroughly enjoyed it. Cruise ships are relatively safe and welcoming for solos.

As for choice of ship I would go for one with fixed/traditional dining, as I like to meet companions for my evening meal, so that would rule out NCL.

I'm sure if you 'go with the flow' and join in with activities you will have a wonderful time.

PS sit at bar not at a table, nothing like being greeted by name and barman making sure there is enough of your favourite tipple (doesn't have to be alcoholic) to make you feel at home.

Which line did you go with?

Neither line is a foodie line.........

Really "exceptional food" would be on the high end luxury lines.........

those that are the smaller ships and very $$$$. Most of the Mass

Market lines do have "specialty restaurants" where the food would be

better than in the Main Dining room though. They are extra money

but many are excellent.

As for other things? I would suggest checking out the roll call for the

cruise you end up picking......it is a great way to meet other people:)

i figured that I wouldn't be getting my foodie fix on a big ship. I looked at some of the more luxurious lines, and realized pretty quickly that I may have a harder time meeting people closer to my age. That being said, I'd be disappointed if my food wasn't edible. So I was wondering which has a better reputation.

I get the feeling from the forum that Epic's specialty restaurants are pretty decent (but there's a charge). I just wonder how I'd get around dining alone in them.

I came off Epic two weeks ago.......

he meeting for solos is always at 1830 which was bad timing for me.

I thnk the food is better on RCCL...I have done many cruises with them but not solo.I also prefer the fixed dining....Shows ...on RCCL

Going on a cruise is probably the safest way to travel solo. Go and have a good time.

Is there a huge difference in the price of these two cruise lines? Does one have an itinerary that appeals more than the other?

I've sailed RCCL before - Serenade of the Seas, but I had company. I enjoyed the ship, especially the outdoors decks, the food was decent, and the service was excellent. The crowd was a bit older in general, and night time activities seemed to screech to a grinding halt by 11. Never did feel the need to pay for any extras, because the basics were all reasonable. I did some excursions through the ship, and, while a little pricy, were well-organized. Would I have been comfy alone? I don't know. My friend and I tried joining others for dinner. After 2 table attempts, and a little old lady that my friend almost brought to tears by accidentally conjuring up memories of her late husband, we decided we were each others' best company.

It seems like the Epic is the more solo-friendly ship, but 3 things seem to come up as issues with multiple ppl.

1. The seeming need to pay for everything that's worth it on the ship -- food/shows/etc

2. The smokiness and inability to avoid it

3. Lack of openness and general crowding of common areas/lines/long waits

Anyone have any input on those issues?

the only Show I had to pay for was Cirque Dreams..$25 I think it included dinner which was a set menu.

As for outside space...there is an Aqua Park so that helps to diffuse the pool.

Dancing......I am not a dancer yet jojned n as they have 'parties' at 1030 at the back ofthe ship on deck.Only one was cancelled due to high winds.

I definitely prefer RCCL.......but everyone is different as is my age to tours!!!

Whatever you choose enjoy t!!!

Islndchica:

Thanks so much for posting this! I'm in the same situation, except I'm two years older, and would be very interested in the responses. I like the Epic studio concept, and that would eliminate the single supplement, but RCCL has the itinerary that appeals to me, so like you, I'm weighing the pros and cons of itinerary vs cost and any info would be appreciated.

Subscribing!

I am going solo to the Western Mediterranean in May 2014. I picked RCL because of the itinerary and their fine reputation. It will be my fourth solo cruise but the first one to Europe. I love solo cruising! I am 56 and leave my boyfriend at home to watch the cats. He hates traveling. I have never used RCL before but have heard they have a great product. I am not particular about food.

• 5 weeks later...

I am booked on the Azamara Journey for a Med cruise leaving in Oct, 25% solo penalty supplement and a double category upgrade to a balcony. It is a late birthday present to myself, turning 45. It'll be my third solo. Have been to Europe before but it has been many years. Very much looking forward to it!

• 8 months later...

Hi fellow solo cruisers!

I know this thread is a bit old but I want to bring it back up becasue I am planning a solo Mediterrnean cruise on the NCL Spirit in April 2015; it is a 12 day Grand Mediterranean, Barcelona to Venice. I am very excited about the itinerary.

I am looking for tips and hints for a solo Mediterrnean cruiser, no matter what cruiseline. Somethings are cross-cruisleines when it comes to solo travel.

The roll-call is dead; no activity really. Two couples and a mother and daughter.

All and any tips are appreciated. (Any other solo cruisers interested in going?) :D:D

clb

Hi fellow solo cruisers!

I know this thread is a bit old but I want to bring it back up becasue I am planning a solo Mediterrnean cruise on the NCL Spirit in April 2015; it is a 12 day Grand Mediterranean, Barcelona to Venice. I am very excited about the itinerary.

I am looking for tips and hints for a solo Mediterrnean cruiser, no matter what cruiseline. Somethings are cross-cruisleines when it comes to solo travel.

The roll-call is dead; no activity really. Two couples and a mother and daughter.

All and any tips are appreciated. (Any other solo cruisers interested in going?) :D:D

clb

Woohoo, it's always great to have a cruise to plan and look forward to :D

I've sailed the Med solo several times, plus I was on the Spirit in December, feel free to check out my reviews in my signature for loads of info.

Happy cruising!

Hi fellow solo cruisers!

clb

Good mornng:)....hopefully others will join in your roll call.

I went to the Med for the first time 2 years ago...where has the

time gone?:eek:......and I have to say, it was the best cruise I have

ever taken...BY FAR! Simple FABULOUS.

I had a very active roll call which made it quite fun because I shared

in private tours with other folks and that helped keep the prices

down for those tours.

One of the things I would change....I only arrived in Rome one day

early and next time I go I will arrive 2 days early.

I see you mentioned sailing from Barcelona...I have not been there

but I would recommend arriving 2 days pre-cruise (if you can) there

is so much to see in Europe! Give yourself a chance to sightsee and

get on "local time" too.

Have a great cruise:)

I too bit the bullet and am going solo...Europe this fall....epic...did the studio

I'm 46 but our roll calls are good mixture...I did the studio and can go for

2 weeks now....Sept 14 and 21st... have set up tours with others on

Both roll calls....the 1st week also has a singles cruise on board...should think about it or go check out the roll calls.....