Jim J. Bullock as Edna (Hairspray)

mongo1973

Jim J. Bullock plays Tracy's mother Edna in the musical Hairspray on the Oasis. He does a great job!!! He and the actress who plays Tracy also did a cabaret act in the Viking Lounge one evening which was outstanding. They said this was the first time they had done this. I would highly recommend both the musical and the act in the Viking Lounge!!

Hope he'll still be there for cruises in March. It'll be fun to see a "name" talent!

pretty sure he will be in the show you attend in march. the casts come and go as a whole and this cast started performing just under a month ago so they will be there well into the summer.

If its the same actor from Dec; he was also quite funny in " throw me a line" improv show in Studio B near the end of the week.

One of my nit picks is that they scrolled all the bios of the Aquatheater actors, but I didn't see much name acknowledgement of the Hairspray cast. Maybe even a little playbill could be made available?

Noticed that too on the Allure. One of the fun things to do when going to the theater is to read the brief bio synopsis of the players big and small. On the Allure there are so many talented folks between the Aqua Show, Blue Planet and Chicago it's a shame that you don't get to know their names.

• 1 year later...

We were just on Oasis of the Seas this past week and the cabaret act in the Viking Lounge with Edna and Tracy (Jim J. Bullock and Nancy) was the entertainment highlight of the week... keep an eye out for it if you like that kind of thing! The lounge was full to bursting a few minutes before it began, lots of people wandered up afterward expecting that like other shows it could be something you explore, but there were no seats to be had. Do not miss!

I'm so glad that his stint had been extended. During the "stage tour" at the end of the week, he told us that a new cast would be onboard for the August 2012 sailings. Maybe he was extended. We were part of the SRO crowd in the VCL for their cabaret night. He has a very nice singing voice--just wish he had sung some real songs and not just parodies.

Anyway, it was exciting to get to chat with him on the stage of the Opal Theater!

I'm so glad that his stint had been extended. During the "stage tour" at the end of the week, he told us that a new cast would be onboard for the August 2012 sailings. Maybe he was extended. We were part of the SRO crowd in the VCL for their cabaret night. He has a very nice singing voice--just wish he had sung some real songs and not just parodies.

He indicated this he's in his second run on this ship. During Hairspray, in his number as Edna with her husband, they broke down and started improvising and laughing... some of my friends thought they said their run was ending, or else they were just acting like it, I don't know, I don't recall hearing that.

Was he paired with "Tracy" in the show you did? It was a very nice mix of his parody songs and her belting out show tunes.

Yes, he was. I wish I could remember the name of the girl who played Tracy during March 2012. I have a picture of her singing in the cabaret show, but since webshots is no longer, none of my captions stayed with the photos when they transferred to Smile.

She sang the show tunes and he sang his parodies. I would have liked to hear him sing show tunes, too!

I bet they broke down and improvised during every show, because I remember they had a "moment" when we saw it.

When we saw Chicago on Allure in December, they put up the names of the actors playing the main characters on the theater screens prior to the performance (several times in fact) and the main performers also introduced themselves and performed at the Top Tier event held in the theater one evening. They were a very talented group of actors.:)

Is it true that Jim J. Bullock has returned to the Oasis as Edna Turnblad in Hairspray? If so, how long is his run?

On this thread, I noted that I saw him there last week, so yes, he's returned. I don't know for how long.

Yeah, he was there two weeks ago too. I only have vague recollections of him from the '80's so I Googled him when I got home. Discovered that he has been HIV positive for decades and had a partner that died of AIDS.

The improv thing between him and the actor who plays the dad seems to be a standard thing each show. I wonder how "improv" it actually was in fact. Did they do the whole playing with the fake boobs part when you saw it?

• 4 months later...

The reason that we went on Oasis Of The Seas was that we enjoy the Broadway show Hairspray over Chicago. Hence, here is a picture that made the highlight of our 2 week cruise. In no particular order the cast of Hairspray: Nancy Hill (Tracy Turnblad), Jim Bullock (Edna Turnblad), Vince Kracht (Wilbur Turnblad), Jeff Stanfield (Link Larkin), Jordan Fox (Corny Collins), Jerome Bell (Seaweed), Whitney Drake (Li'l Inez), Sabrina Plaisacne (Penny), Eileen B . Lymus-Sanders (Motormouth Maybelle), Colleen Cassidy (Amber), Tahlia Shaw (Brenda & Shelly),Anna Solomon (Tammy), Jamie Keen (Brad), Charles James Scott-Miller (Fender), Nathan Duszny (IQ), Maryann Payne (Lorraine), Melissa Seneca Sadler (Natalie), Christopher Smith (Gilbert), and Leroy Church (Duane). Not in the picture was our AWESOME Cruise Director Amy Fickert, who took the picture.

542593_4299405375773_1719329747_n.jpg

Yeah, he was there two weeks ago too. I only have vague recollections of him from the '80's so I Googled him when I got home. Discovered that he has been HIV positive for decades and had a partner that died of AIDS.

The improv thing between him and the actor who plays the dad seems to be a standard thing each show. I wonder how "improv" it actually was in fact. Did they do the whole playing with the fake boobs part when you saw it?

Any idea if he will still be there in late sept?

I would love to see him.

A quick google search would tell you that's false information. Why would you want to spread a false death report? :(

That's clearly him in the photo above. I for one- can't wait to see him in 3 weeks!

Are you sure it was him?

I thought he died a while back...

He was definitely alive and well during our cruise on the Oasis back on March 9th of this year. He did an outstanding job in Hairspray and in the comedy improv in Studio B. He also sat in the audience directly in front of us when we were watching the comedy show one night.

Any idea if he will still be there in late sept?

I would love to see him.

I previously read on this forum that he leaves on September 21st. I'm really bummed about that because I am on the September 21 sailing. I loved him since his days on Too Close For Comfort!! Too bad. . .

I previously read on this forum that he leaves on September 21st. I'm really bummed about that because I am on the September 21 sailing. I loved him since his days on Too Close For Comfort!! Too bad. . .

Anyone know for certain? We're thinking of booking Oasis on August 31, and would love to see Jim J. We've been on Oasis 4 or 5 times, and have always loved Hairspray, but would definitely book if we knew Jim J was starring!

Peter

Anyone know for certain? We're thinking of booking Oasis on August 31, and would love to see Jim J. We've been on Oasis 4 or 5 times, and have always loved Hairspray, but would definitely book if we knew Jim J was starring!

Peter

We talked to him during the backstage tour on our June sailing. I know he said the cast is on board until September, but I don't remember when in September. The cast go on/off the ship as a "unit" and do 7 months stints.

I would go ahead and make reservations. You can always not show up, but it might be tough to get seats if you don't make reservations.

Here's a picture from the cabaret...

DSC_0837.JPG

Archived