Anthem of seas

We are going on Anthem on 18 July for 14 night med cruise.

It's only my 2nd cruise in 10yrs and I'm unsure about whether to do the royal replenish drinks package or not.

Seems expensive at £400 for myself and my daughter.

This package would suit us as we don't drink alcohol , only would use it for bottled water, fresh orange juice, tea with meals maybe the odd hot chocolate or latte. My daughter can only have almond or soya milk. It's so annoying that I can't get any answer from RCCL whether almond or soya milk will be available, as obviously she wouldn't be able to have hot chocolate etc, I've just booked the cruise and they just repeat over and over you should of given us 90 days notice . JUST BOOKED 2 DAYS AGO !!!

Any help would be appreciated . Just not sure we would actually drink enough to warrant £30 a day in drinks.

Also, Anyone got any suggestions about doing our own excursion to Rome and Florence. We just want a few hours at our leisure for a nice lunch , would love to visit St. Peter's Basillica at the Vatican. Daughter can't walk long distances or stand in long queues. Again any suggestions would be greatly received. Thanks.

We sailed NAV in February so our recent experience is relative to that...your mileage on anthem may vary...

If you email special needs that will increase the chances of getting soy milk on board. Also it will notify the kitchen staff that you will be looking for dairy free meals. I think that I would probably consider bringing some small cartons myself if it's allowed from where you are traveling (not sure what customs rules there are).

Our cruise had Soy onboard without asking but they did run out the last 2 days. We are lactose intolerant so we can have dairy in foods some, but not large quantities. Our waiter brought us a cup of soy milk for use in our coffee every night and I was also able to get a soy latte at the coffee shop. When they ran out - the staff was all very frustrated because they actually knew tht had some in the cargo hold area but no one would bring it up for them as was the normal plan. Not sure what the breakdown was there but we never complained at guest services or anything about it. I imagine that you could end up in a similar situation.

For the drink package - I think you should wait until you are on board to purchase it after a day or two - that way you can see what your real expenses are. From your list - I am not sure if it's worth it unless you are against drinking ship filtered water. Tea should be included (as is coffee, ice tea, fruit infused water, and maybe lemonade?). You can get juice in the mornings just not 'fresh squeezed' for free.

There is a certain level of convenience to having a package, but not sure if you will get your monies worth out of it. One possibility would be to only get it for yourself and pay for your daughters out of pocket if you find you are drinking enough to warrant it (if no one is drinking a latte or virgin frozen drink daily, I don't think it's worth it).

If you bring a refillable bottle - you can fill it up easily on board - just don't do it directly from the water bubbler. Fill up a cup first and then dump it in to avoid contamination.

Enjoy your cruise!

Do inform Special Needs of diet. Once on board tell the staff at each meal your restrictions ie soy milk only for daughter. They will provide it. As above they could run out.

Teas (Latte type cost min of $4.50 (US). Fresh squeeze Juices run around $5.00- $8.00 (US). Bottled water from $3.00 up. Even if you have 3 lattes with BLD. You will be ahead on the deal. I would buy the package.

Also, Anyone got any suggestions about doing our own excursion to Rome and Florence. We just want a few hours at our leisure for a nice lunch , would love to visit St. Peter's Basillica at the Vatican. Daughter can't walk long distances or stand in long queues. Again any suggestions would be greatly received. Thanks.

As best I can tell, your ports will be Civitavecchia and La Spezia, correct?

Rome is about 90 minutes by car from Civi (give or take traffic), also do-able by train on your own. (I know you won't be driving, I'm just giving you a sense of the distance.)

My understanding is that Florence is a good distance from La Spezia (the closer port of call for Florence is Livorno).

The absolute best bet for getting the info you want is to ask on the Ports of Call/Europe/Italy board. The experts there can help you with instructions doing the Rome excursion on your own by train (there's plenty of info already on that board about this, just do a search). Not sure how do-able on your own Florence is from La Spezia, but the folks on that board can tell you.

RCI may also have an excursion that essentially is round trip transport to the two cities, and then you tour on your own. You may want to check if you haven't already done so.

Have a great cruise, and please come back and tell us about Anthem!

Thanks, yes that's our ports in Rome and Florence.(civitavecchia & laspezia)

I will have look at the boards you suggest. My daughter , aged 28 yrs sometimes uses a wheelchair due to fatigue, so would avoid trains etc. will probably use a private transfer company or similar. Ship excursions either for those who can't really walk at all therefore on coaches most of day , or drop off, pick up type but 8 or so hours , too long a day for her. Just wanted to go to the centre and have a nice lunch maybe stroll around for an hour.

What's royal night !

Do inform Special Needs of diet. Once on board tell the staff at each meal your restrictions ie soy milk only for daughter. They will provide it. As above they could run out.

Teas (Latte type cost min of $4.50 (US). Fresh squeeze Juices run around $5.00- $8.00 (US). Bottled water from $3.00 up. Even if you have 3 lattes with BLD. You will be ahead on the deal. I would buy the package.

CaptData.......For the Replenish Beverage package, are you allowed unlimited lattes, tea, etc? Or are you limited to a certain number of beverages per day? Also, do you have to purchase the package for the entire cruise, or can you just purchase the package for a certain number of day (ie, if it's a 9 day cruise, can I just purchase it for 5 days?) Thanks for your help.

Also, Anyone got any suggestions about doing our own excursion to Rome and Florence. Again any suggestions would be greatly received. Thanks.

On Allure last month, there was a tour named "Taste of Florence". Basically, RC took you there, left you on your own for 3 hours, and then back to ship.

Another tour, along the same lines, had a 2 hours guided tour and 3 on your own. Since we've been to Florence several times, we told the guide we'll be back on time, and wandered to the market, pizza and ice cream alone.

It was a win-win, without worrying about getting back to ship on time. Travel in Italy can get very congested.

I've purchased the royal replenish many times and love it. If they do soy milk then you must try the hot chocolates there are many varieties in the la patisserie on board which are included in the package with all sorts of toppings like cherry,bannana marshmallow etc. frappaccinos here are also included. Also we always drink a few frozen virgin cocktails a day which are included. You are limited to boleros and pool bars for these on this ship but very enjoyable on a hot day. I have always found I drink more than the package costs even on port intensive cruises. Hope this helps x:)

I've purchased the royal replenish many times and love it. If they do soy milk then you must try the hot chocolates there are many varieties in the la patisserie on board which are included in the package with all sorts of toppings like cherry,bannana marshmallow etc. frappaccinos here are also included. Also we always drink a few frozen virgin cocktails a day which are included. You are limited to boleros and pool bars for these on this ship but very enjoyable on a hot day. I have always found I drink more than the package costs even on port intensive cruises. Hope this helps x:)

Thanks, tellyaddict! I don't really drink hard liquor, so this package will be perfect for me. I love lattes, hot chocolate and non-alcoholic beverages. Appreciate your suggestions!

CaptData.......For the Replenish Beverage package, are you allowed unlimited lattes, tea, etc? Or are you limited to a certain number of beverages per day? Also, do you have to purchase the package for the entire cruise, or can you just purchase the package for a certain number of day (ie, if it's a 9 day cruise, can I just purchase it for 5 days?) Thanks for your help.

You do not have to purchase a drink package for the entire cruise.

You may purchase a prorated drink package on any day of the cruise as long as there are 4 days remaining in the cruise. On a 9 day cruise you could purchase it for the last 5 days. Once you purchase it it must be purchased for the duration of the cruise.

From the website,

Food & Beverage

Print This Page

Q: Can we purchase the package for selected days?

A: Onboard, the all-inclusive packages are available for purchase throughout the voyage with at least 4 days remaining. Must be purchased for the duration of the cruise; prorated price based on date of purchase

Edited by Ourusualbeach