Your first cruise ship

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

What Ever Happened To........???
A place to discuss the glorious past of cruising...the ships, the people, the cruise lines, the ports that bring back those wonderful memories.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:07 AM.
Raleigh, NC
168 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Carnival Destiny 2008, left from San Juan went to St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, Antigua, St. Kitts I feel like it was another place but can't remember. I took a long break because 7 days is a long time. I'm down for the 5 day cruises. By the time I get bored it's time get off and I want to go on another. I hate sea days.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Carnival Splendor September 14, 2017

Past:
Carnival Fantasy 2015
Carnival Victory 2013
Carnival Destiny 2008
Florida
13 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
My first cruise was on Eastern Cruise Lines ship
"Emerald Seas" in Sept. 1974 a 4 day trip.
Were to go to Nassau and Freeport, Thank goodness Nassau was fun;but we couldn't dock due to rough seas in Freeport.
So we floated around and docked next morning in Miami per schedule,
This was booked by my brother and me - in the meantime I decided to get married and use this as a honeymoon trip. So as a good sister , we booked my brother his own room & the 3 of us had a great trip.
Now I'm up to my 23rd cruise set for this November.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
938 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Our first cruise was in 1995 on the Regent Sun out of Puerto Rico for our 25th anniversary. We spent 7 days in St Maarten first, and then flew to San Juan, where we boarded the ship. On our second day at sea, we recieved an emergency phone call into our cabin that something had happened to our 15 year old daughter, who was staying with grandparents. The cruise line took care of everything to get us home----tendering us into a nearby island (St Kitts) where they had people waiting for us with tickets home. We flew from there to Antigua to Toronto. All turned out ok at home, once there, but we were so impressed with the level of customer service to us, and the desire to finish a cruise, that we booked our next cruise on the Carnival Ecstasy---and were "bitten" by the cruise bug!!
BTW--that cruise line went bankrupt the year after that, the ships were sold out, and I heard that ship was scraped. It was an old, very elegant ship--and crowd. Also--the resort we stayed in St Maarten (Mullet Bay Resort) prior to cruise was destroyed by a major hurricane that same year, and never rebuilt.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

[IMG]http://clocks.cruisecritic.com/countdown.pl?image=Beach-2&name=grandmarnnurse&date=1-15-2
017&text=&ship=Norwegian Getaway[/IMG]
938 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Originally posted by gottaluvcruises12
Carnival Destiny 2008, left from San Juan went to St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, Antigua, St. Kitts I feel like it was another place but can't remember. I took a long break because 7 days is a long time. I'm down for the 5 day cruises. By the time I get bored it's time get off and I want to go on another. I hate sea days.
Perhaps St Lucia? I cruised out of San Juan in 2001 on the Destiny, also, and I really can't remember what was on that itinerary or the following year on the Spirit. Both had Southern Caribbean itineraries that also went to Curaçao, Aruba, Martinique, St Lucia, Barbados, among other places.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

[IMG]http://clocks.cruisecritic.com/countdown.pl?image=Beach-2&name=grandmarnnurse&date=1-15-2
017&text=&ship=Norwegian Getaway[/IMG]
Monticello, KY
13 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
My first cruise was in 1973 on the Costa Cruise Lines Flavia out of Miami. What a deplorable ship(compare to them now) but had the greatest time!! My next cruise 11/11/17 on Coral Princess will be #36.
Florida
13 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Originally posted by Cruise prn
NCL Starward, May 1980. Port Antonio, Ocho Rios, Port-au-Prince. DH and I were to be on the maiden voyage of the Norway, but that cruise was canceled as the ship wasn't ready. We wound up on the Starward instead.
My 2nd cruise was January 1979 on the NCL SkyWard doing the same itinerary as you. I so loved the ship and my 1st 7 day cruise. All the ports were great! Loved shopping the old Craft Market - making deals and conversing with the locals. In Haiti we toured a rum factory got a wonderful scenic tour from our bus driver and bought art [oil paintings] which still hang on my walls. Loved the old ships![
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Monticello, KY
13 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Remember when they gave you rolls of streamers to throw, drinks were $1.25, fabulous food, people dressed to the nines and they gave out a list of passengers and where they were from? The good old days!
51 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
My first cruise was 1994 on the MS Holiday ... June 1994. Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. Was with a group of singles . Carnival used to match you up with a roommate that was age similar to you . My roommate .. what a joke ... never left the cabin . sick all the time. I had a such a good time now 28 cruises later still going strong .