Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Silversea Cruises

Read Silversea Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you.

Find Your Silversea Roll Call

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:00 PM.
UK
6,082 Posts
Joined May 2012
Thanks Dan ...... and Seasonal best wishes.

The new Cooler smells of fresh paint ... and hopefully a lovely start to a more optimistic 2017 ... to all ...

Jeff
Columbus, Ohio
18,096 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by spinnaker2
Thanks Dan and Happy Holidays to you. 🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄
UKCruiseJeff: Thanks Dan ...... and Seasonal best wishes. The new Cooler smells of fresh paint ... and hopefully a lovely start to a more optimistic 2017 ... to all ... Jeff
Appreciate this forward shifting as we prepare for a busy and hopefully more positive 2017. To start off the visual sharing, below are few more examples from our time in the Kansas City area. Getting ready for Christmas tomorrow in the middle of sunny Kansas. Yes, the sun is out and looking lovely right now. Should be a high of around 48F this afternoon.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 219,647 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:
http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/s....php?t=1426474

Where's Norm? Remember the classic TV show "Cheers"? One of the favorites on that show was Norm who always sat at the end of bar drinking his beers. Earlier this week, we caught actor George Wendt doing a fun dinner theatre in Kansas City based on a group of guys doing barbershop singing, etc. As you see from my two pictures below, Norm/George still looks about the same. Clearly, Norm still likes his beer and food!:

Where's the Devil? That terrible person must be in Kansas!! See this personalized license plate below that was parked ahead of me at the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City. Seeing is believing!!??:

Albany, NY
4,046 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
New cooler! Glad to help christen it. Today we hopped the train to Montreux, where we visited Chateau de Chillon (as in the poem by Byron, "The Prisoner of Chillon.")

Then we stopped off in Lausanne on the way home for a wander around the old town, a church tower to climb, some lunch, a visit to the Olympic Museum, a stroll along the lake, etc. Then home in time for a nice dinner.

Early to bed tonight. It's been a busy 3 days so far. Tomorrow, we'll just wander wherever the mood strikes us.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JP and Chris

Last: Ganges Voyager II (Uniworld) - India's Golden Triangle & the Sacred Ganges - Feb 2017 (review)

Future bookings:

Silver Explorer - Along the Humboldt Current, Guayaquil to Valparaíso - Oct 2017

Past:

River Beatrice (Uniworld) - Danube - April 2016
(photo review)
SS Catherine (Uniworld) - Burgundy and Provence - March 2015 (review)
Silver Cloud - Eastern Med - Istanbul to Athens - October 2014 (photo review)
Silver Cloud - North Atlantic - Tower Bridge to Reykjavik - August 2014 - (photo review)
SS Antoinette (Uniworld) - Castles on the Rhine - Basel to Amsterdam - April 2014 (photo review)
Silver Explorer - Central America - Colon to Puerto Caldera - October 2013 (photo review)
Avalon Affinity - Danube - Vienna to Passau - June 2013(flooded! - awesome land trip instead ) (blog)
MS Sun Boat III - Nile River - November 2012 (pics1) (pics2)
Silver Wind - Athens to Rome - June 2012 (report) (Greece pics) (Italy pics)

Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos - November 2011 (Peru pics) (Galapagos pics)
Silver Explorer - Longyearbyen to Tromso - August 2011 (report) (Svalbard pics) (Tromso pics)
Silver Wind - Cape Town to Cape Town - Feb 2011 (pics)
Silver Cloud - London to Nice - September 2010 (France pics) (Spain and Portugal pics)
Silver Wind - Black Sea - June 2010 (pics)
Silversea PAII - Antarctica - Dec 09 (pics)

Tahitian Princess 8/09; Insignia 11/08; Sea Princess 8/08; Millenium 6/08; Nautica 1/08; Nautica 11/07; Regatta 4/07; Tahitian Princess 1/07; Carnival Spirit 8/06; Insignia 5/06; etc...
Wales/Cheshire
1,001 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Thanks Dan.....Merry Christmas....

Jeffers....really gutted to hear about Rick...l know you and the band go back a long way and they were one of my very favourites as you know.....so sad, l doubt Rossi will carry on now.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
UK
6,082 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by specialcruisegirl
Jeffers....really gutted to hear about Rick...l know you and the band go back a long way and they were one of my very favourites as you know.....so sad, l doubt Rossi will carry on now.......
Hi Soapy, ... yes a sad day. However, you were a genuine fan as I know being lucky enough to see the pictures of you at their gigs! I liked them but wasn't a great Quo fan.

I first started working with them in '68 when Pictures of Matchstick Men was in the charts. I was playing records and "introducing" bands and my first one with them was at Leyton Baths during that summer. I remember it clearly because my girlfriend at the time was extremely good looking but also quite "bookish". She was also a talented classical pianist. One thging all my girlfriends had in common in those days was a driving licence ....

When we were doing the sound checks Rick took a shine to her but I think was a bit confused that she wasn't bowled over by him. It transpired when she asked him what the name of the band was that she had never heard of them and that rather pricked his balloon. I got my own back by repeatedly playing a demo I happened to have which was The Spectres playing I who have nothing ... which was their previous incarnation. Every do after that I played it just to irritate them, and I succeeded. I use to say "buy the drinks ... or the record gets played. "

I worked with them a couple weeks later in Cheltenham when I was greeted with "Oh no ... not you again ....." and after the sound check we went out to eat but found it tough because even thopugh it was only 6pm and everywhere had just opened and was empty, no one would serve us because of the hair. We ended up in the local Wimpy bar with loads of autographs bbeing signed.

I became quite matey with Roy Lynes who was there organist at the time as he was impressed with the girlfirends keyboard skills and I was impressed with his red Jag.

We had a lot more gigs together over the next few years and they stole my roady who I was so pleased for because working for them was a real leg-up for him.

Francis has been playing some dates in the UK over the recent past without Rick who was told to take things quietly since he "died" a while back. I don't think they had any future plans because Rick had plans for some solo stuff. A lot of people criticised Rick's "lack of musicianship" saying he only knew three chords, and I use to say that he might have only known three chords but boy what he did with them and at least it was one more chord than the Kinks.

I last saw him two or three years back when I bumped into him at Heathrow where he told me he didn't recognise me without my hair and wifey told him that she held him responsible for my hearing issues because of my many hours in front of their stack. He was really nice to wifey.

My memories of him was of a really straightforward down to earth guy who always had time to chat to his fans and treated them with patience and friendship and never really quite believed how lucky he was. I don't think, thankfully, he ever really grew up.

I think a lot of people will say he was a thoroughly nice ordinary bloke who played in a band that they never tiered of.

Jeff
usa
2,441 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Jeff and Sophia
Sorry to learn of the loss of Rick. Seems like a lovely guy. Too young !!
Had to go listen to him play on YouTube.
Those days were just yesterday, right?
Glory days much of which were in a haze!
UK
6,082 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by spinnaker2
Jeff and Sophia
Sorry to learn of the loss of Rick. Seems like a lovely guy. Too young !!
Had to go listen to him play on YouTube.
Those days were just yesterday, right?
Glory days much of which were in a haze!
Hi Spins,

Yes, I guess recent because their great achievement seems to me to be their longevity.

I don't think it harsh to say that way back in 1968 most including themselves would have predicted a career of three or four years which was more of the norm in those times, but their's has been a genuine 50 year career. I would have put cash on a three year max career.

Part of their success is due to them being a genuine live band with both front men being extremely keen that their live gigs reproduce their recorded hits fastideously. Many bands don't get that real fans want to hear their idols play their rercords accurately live and not hear a developed and "improved" version, but Soapy will confirm whether that is still true because she has been to a concert or two more recently. She is a real fan.

It's hazy but I think I remember on Pictures of Matchstick Men they made and I think released two versions one was a mono the other a stereo version, the mono using the wah wah / phasing effect on the guitar solos and the stereo not. The mono was a hit and was the version they always reproduced live.

They also largely kept to their type of music and although they made some stuff that wasn't typically Quo, and even though quite recently have archived quite a lot of acoustic stuff for future release they largely stuck to type and their fan base has grown up with them. There was a bit of an "insiders joke" that they made much of their cash from announcing each year for many years a "farewell tour" .... but never really intended them to be their last.

I think one of the reasons why the band kept going for so long was that Rick and Francis are definately completely different characters and enhance rather than compete with each other whereas most bands end in ego rows. I think I recall Francis saying that he wrote Pictures of Matchstick Men whilst in the toilet trying to escape his family.

Anyway, nostalgia isn't what it use to be and I know that there are many millions of fans that will be mourning a legend that they all felt they had a personal connection with because he was basically an ordinary bloke they could identify with and they loved what he could do with a guitar and a mountain of Marshall amps.

Jeff
Wales/Cheshire
1,001 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Happy Christmas Day All....

Jeffers.....Quo always played live and very accurately so....they created such an electric atmosphere even as they walked on stage....no special effects or dancers....just the band...that's all they needed as their music was and still is so unique...and boy did they rock! My daughter in the end refused to accompany me to their gigs as she said l embarrassed her by doing the Quo shoulder moves.... Rick didn't have an easy life as you know but was a truly lovable and genuinely nice guy.......their "farewell" tours were legendary ... it quite sadly won't be the same again......

Just indulging with a rather large brandy here after a very enjoyable lunch out with my very oldest friend......she held me in her arms when l was just six weeks old....we go back a very long way and to me today was what this festive season is all about as we reminisced about the years.......such genuine Joy.....

S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Colorado
1,377 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by jpalbny
Today we hopped the train to Montreux, where we visited Chateau de Chillon
Such a quaint town. And, I'm not sure there is a more cute and well sited castle than Chillon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UK (Deepest Lincolnshire)
1,024 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
And now George Michael...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Silver Spirit 1-2-13 LA-South Pacific-LA 31 days
Seabourn Spirit 30-11-2013 Bridgetown-Bridgetown 14 days
Silver Shadow 19-4-2014 Hong Kong-Tokyo-Alaska 27 days
Silver Whisper 25-11-2014 Amazon 17 days
Silver Spirit 13-4-2015 TA 12 days
Silver Spirit 4-12-2015 Panama Canal 17 days
Silver Whisper 27-5-2016 Baltic 14 days
QM2 8-12-2016 TA 7 days

rv La Marguerite 1-4-2017 Vietnam/Cambodia 13 days

UK
6,082 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by Tothesunset

Yes .... sad .... a troubled genius who might have succumbed to lifestyle. I guess we will hear in time.

Happy Boxing Day all.

Jeff
Albany, NY
4,046 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Tothesunset
Originally posted by UKCruiseJeff
Yes .... sad .... a troubled genius who might have succumbed to lifestyle. I guess we will hear in time.

Happy Boxing Day all.

Jeff
More sad news. Seems endless this year. I don't know much about Status Quo or Rick, but I certainly remember growing up to George Michael's music.

Got home to JFK yesterday afternoon and had a relatively easy drive home for a change. Got home a little after 8 and did some shopping. Managed to get a little sleep, until 4:30. Not bad for the first night back. Now, off to work.

Last week of 2016 is here.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JP and Chris

Last: Ganges Voyager II (Uniworld) - India's Golden Triangle & the Sacred Ganges - Feb 2017 (review)

Future bookings:

Silver Explorer - Along the Humboldt Current, Guayaquil to Valparaíso - Oct 2017

Past:

(photo review)
Silver Cloud - North Atlantic - Tower Bridge to Reykjavik - August 2014 - (photo review)
SS Antoinette (Uniworld) - Castles on the Rhine - Basel to Amsterdam - April 2014 (photo review)
Silver Explorer - Central America - Colon to Puerto Caldera - October 2013 (photo review)
Avalon Affinity - Danube - Vienna to Passau - June 2013(flooded! - awesome land trip instead ) (blog)

Silver Explorer - Longyearbyen to Tromso - August 2011 (report) (Svalbard pics) (Tromso pics)
Silver Cloud - London to Nice - September 2010 (France pics) (Spain and Portugal pics)

Tahitian Princess 8/09; Insignia 11/08; Sea Princess 8/08; Millenium 6/08; Nautica 1/08; Nautica 11/07; Regatta 4/07; Tahitian Princess 1/07; Carnival Spirit 8/06; Insignia 5/06; etc...
UK
6,082 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by jpalbny
More sad news. Seems endless this year. I don't know much about Status Quo or Rick, but I certainly remember growing up to George Michael's music.

Got home to JFK yesterday afternoon and had a relatively easy drive home for a change. Got home a little after 8 and did some shopping. Managed to get a little sleep, until 4:30. Not bad for the first night back. Now, off to work.

Last week of 2016 is here.
Welcome home JP ......

I guess many people will with the benefit of future hindsight will wish that we had missed much of 2016 completely and simply gone straight from 2015 to 2017.

Here is hoping for a great 2017.

Jeff
Albany, NY
4,046 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Carrie Fisher...

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JP and Chris

Future bookings:

Past:

(photo review)

UK
6,082 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by UKCruiseJeff
I first started working with them in '68 when Pictures of Matchstick Men was in the charts. I was playing records and "introducing" bands and my first one with them was at Leyton Baths during that summer.

Jeff

I stand corrected.

Not quite Summer of '68 ... but 9th November 1968. How time flies .....

Jeff

Albany, NY
4,046 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
It does fly. Some day I will have to post a picture of myself from November 1968...

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JP and Chris

Future bookings:

Past:

(photo review)