Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Silversea Cruises

Read Silversea Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you.

Find Your Silversea Roll Call

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:42 PM.
75 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
We too have blackberry vines growing wild. Unfortunately they are an invasive species, Himalayan Blackberries, and they have huge thorns that scratch and bite! But it does look like a bumper crop this year. If you can avoid the thorns the berries are sweet and delicious, especially when picked fully ripe and warmed from the sun. They grow anywhere the sun shines, so all along the roadsides and under the power lines. Local indigenous berries are thimble berries, Salmon berries, Salal, Oregon Grape and wild strawberries. Further east of us blueberries and Saskatoon berries grow wild. Our walks are punctuated by random berry picking stops, as long as there aren't any bears around! If there's a bear, we cede the berries to them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Jacksonville, FL USA
48,078 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Originally posted by UKCruiseJeff
Thanks L. I also love hummus but I was getting irritated with working my way through all the different supermarket stuff and binning. This converged with a programmme about Lebanon and how they eat it every meal. I also learn't to make Levante flat bread in the pizza oven which is nice to dip. . It's so easy to make hummus but shop bought is always cheap ingredients and my hummus costs much more to make than to buy but it was wonderful. Worth the few minutes effort and you get the cooks perks of fingering out and lickin what is left in the bowl.

ML, so much appreciate you persevering with your piccies, and you taught me something. I don't think I have ever seen hucleberries before. Thanks.
Jeff, so you just puree chic peas and add some olive oil?..........
Albany, NY
4,046 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Don't forget tahini! And garlic, and some lemon juice. And spices... maybe some sumac for decoration?

I have some sumac that I got on the street at a market in Amman. I always remember the trip to Petra when I use it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JP and Chris

Last: Ganges Voyager II (Uniworld) - India's Golden Triangle & the Sacred Ganges - Feb 2017 (review)

Future bookings:

Silver Explorer - Along the Humboldt Current, Guayaquil to Valparaíso - Oct 2017

Past:

River Beatrice (Uniworld) - Danube - April 2016
(photo review)
SS Catherine (Uniworld) - Burgundy and Provence - March 2015 (review)
Silver Cloud - Eastern Med - Istanbul to Athens - October 2014 (photo review)
Silver Cloud - North Atlantic - Tower Bridge to Reykjavik - August 2014 - (photo review)
SS Antoinette (Uniworld) - Castles on the Rhine - Basel to Amsterdam - April 2014 (photo review)
Silver Explorer - Central America - Colon to Puerto Caldera - October 2013 (photo review)
Avalon Affinity - Danube - Vienna to Passau - June 2013(flooded! - awesome land trip instead ) (blog)
MS Sun Boat III - Nile River - November 2012 (pics1) (pics2)
Silver Wind - Athens to Rome - June 2012 (report) (Greece pics) (Italy pics)

Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos - November 2011 (Peru pics) (Galapagos pics)
Silver Explorer - Longyearbyen to Tromso - August 2011 (report) (Svalbard pics) (Tromso pics)
Silver Wind - Cape Town to Cape Town - Feb 2011 (pics)
Silver Cloud - London to Nice - September 2010 (France pics) (Spain and Portugal pics)
Silver Wind - Black Sea - June 2010 (pics)
Silversea PAII - Antarctica - Dec 09 (pics)

Tahitian Princess 8/09; Insignia 11/08; Sea Princess 8/08; Millenium 6/08; Nautica 1/08; Nautica 11/07; Regatta 4/07; Tahitian Princess 1/07; Carnival Spirit 8/06; Insignia 5/06; etc...
UK
6,082 Posts
Joined May 2012
Hi L, yes it is that simple. Use canned chickpeas. Drain can reserving liquid. Blend adding olive oil, crushed garlic a fair amount of (bottled) lemon, olive oil, and as JP says sumac or ground cumin and a little salt all to taste. Use some of the reserved liquid to loosen if it is too thick after you've added oil. The secret is to blend and keep tasting until you are happy.

To that basic blend you could adjust to flavours for example if you have a jar of red peppers some of that could be added. Or some cayenne.Or my favourite caramelised red onion. Some smoked or sweet paprika. Whatever you fancy. But plain is great. The good thing is that it is basically store cupboard ingredients and you can make it when you fancy.

Try and let us know.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jeff

UK
6,082 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by Purplelady1
As I am new here and just came across this salivating thread and love all the food cooking tips!
Lovely that you stopped by! Welcome!

We are a surprisingly slim set of people considering how many food piccies we digest.

Hope you stay around and join the fun.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jeff

253 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Very warm welcome Purplelady......feel free to join in with our banter!

Off out for lunch with the kids in a bit to one of our favourite Cheshire eateries....looking forward to their delightful cocktails......

Happy Sunday 😊
17 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Thank you both for the welcome! This has been a fun thread to read. We are not big foodies but with all the international people here I can come up with new things and seek advice. I hope to see more and sharing our cruise experiences with yours.
Canada
2,077 Posts
Joined May 2008
Greetings Coolers!

Welcome to the Cooler Bar PL1! Grab a stool and your favourite libation and commune with the community!

We have a dust bunny rodeo on the go here! I've managed to ride my trusty steed (Mighty Mite) around 2 floors to corral the little pests. Just taking a break from the action.
Have a great day all!
Jalisco Mex
45 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by jpalbny
Don't forget tahini! And garlic, and some lemon juice. And spices... maybe some sumac for decoration?

I have some sumac that I got on the street at a market in Amman. I always remember the trip to Petra when I use it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app
My next cruise originates in Barcelona, where I'll be picking up paprikas, olive oil and saffron. I'll be in Morocco also. What spices/condiments would you recommend I look for?
Thanks!
Penny
Jacksonville, FL USA
48,078 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Jeff are you a trained chef? Your personal food photos look yummy. I am addicted to the Food Network they make it look easy. I just dislike the prep work.
Good morning, I am fairly new to this thread as well....I love Food Network too
UK
6,082 Posts
Joined May 2012
Jeff are you a trained chef? Your personal food photos look yummy. I am addicted to the Food Network they make it look easy. I just dislike the prep work.
Thanks, that is sweet of you, but no, I learned to cook and completely self taught. I feel it easy to learn to cook as long as you concentrate on the quality of ingredients, freshness and the prep and not be too concerned about fancy presentation. It is also important to learn underlying principles rather than following recipes.

initially I learned out of necessity, but then when I was very young I ran a club and restaurant in Soho where I had to sometimes cook when the chef didn't turn up or when we were between chefs, Later when we started our business I hated getting dressed up and visiting offices for stiff meetings and so my kitchen became our real office. Sometimes an idea or cunning plan needs time and alcohol to develop with a client. We have even had VP's fly over from the US just to spend a day over long lunch with us. Luckily our clients were also or later became friends and so our lunches extended to various trips for lunches that lasted for many days, including Vienna, and Nice and Cannes and even a couple of SS cruises. On one SS cruise we realised that if we booked it, it was visiting ports many of which we had clients, and so we did one trip where clients came on board for meetings and lunch each day and it was a great way to work.

Eventually, having retired far too early and young, we now travel largely to increase my kitchen reportoire our favourite destination being Singapore where until a year or so ago we'd spend around six or eight weeks a year there where we'd eat street and hawker. I am lucky in that I find it easy to recreate stuff I have eaten. It may sound strange, but for the whole of my married life, with the exception of a couple of years when during the week I was travelling and living in hotels, I have cooked all our food and I doubt whether wifey has cooked more than a dozen times for me.

So life has nearly always revolved around lunch. Long lunch.

I hope you stay around and enjoy the extremely friendly cooler. The drinks are really cheap.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jeff

253 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Good Lord M....what's going on over there with the rodeo...😉

Enjoyed a superb lunch out at The Cock O' Barton eating house...great old pub with staff to match......started orff with a Cosmopolitan to whet the appetite....fresh haddock & salmon fishcake followed by the most tender topside of beef with roasted veggies.....DD and l shared a pudding..chocolate gooey brownie with ginger ice cream....and a very palatable Pinot to wash it all down...Hic!

Wimbledon men's final isn't one of the best matches with poor Cilic having medical problems and some sort of breakdown on court......at least the weather is holding up!

😊
UK
6,082 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by Solo mi!
My next cruise originates in Barcelona, where I'll be picking up paprikas, olive oil and saffron. I'll be in Morocco also. What spices/condiments would you recommend I look for?
Thanks!
Penny
Penny, I'd miss buying spices you can easilly and freshly source at home but in Morroco, I'd buy ras el hanout.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jeff

Jacksonville, FL USA
48,078 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Sophia, I am watching the tennis too........Roger is really kicking butt........looks like he is going to win in straight sets.....
unless something changes VERY quickly.

I went out to a local seafood place yesterday and had some delicious Ahi Tuna..........
253 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Suppose it's inevitable that we now have Jeff the Chef...😝 blame it in the Cosmo!

Long lunches are indeed my forte also.....I at times struggle on board ship with dinner as I'm just not always hungry.

Lois....sorry to say it was an easy game for Federer....but he did deserve to win.
For some reason l always feel it's the end of the summer once Wimbledon is over......😊
Jacksonville, FL USA
48,078 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Originally posted by MissSophia
Suppose it's inevitable that we now have Jeff the Chef...😝 blame it in the Cosmo!

Long lunches are indeed my forte also.....I at times struggle on board ship with dinner as I'm just not always hungry.

Lois....sorry to say it was an easy game for Federer....but he did deserve to win.
For some reason l always feel it's the end of the summer once Wimbledon is over......😊
The end of summer?...middle of July? It will be hot here until September......
Canada
2,077 Posts
Joined May 2008
So glad you enjoyed your lunch Miss S! It sounds like a wonderful meal!

Rodeo is over! All the dust bunnies have been corralled for now. They did lead me a merry chase. My steed was relentless though. He's been wiped down and put into his stall until he is needed again.

Hope all is well with Spins!