Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Silversea Cruises

Read Silversea Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you.

Find Your Silversea Roll Call

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:03 AM.
Columbus, Ohio
18,605 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by UKCruiseJeff
Thanks, that is sweet of you, but no, I learned to cook and completely self taught. I feel it easy to learn to cook as long as you concentrate on the quality of ingredients, freshness and the prep and not be too concerned about fancy presentation. It is also important to learn underlying principles rather than following recipes. Eventually, having retired far too early and young, we now travel largely to increase my kitchen reportoire our favourite destination being Singapore where until a year or so ago we'd spend around six or eight weeks a year there where we'd eat street and hawker. I have cooked all our food and I doubt whether wifey has cooked more than a dozen times for me. So life has nearly always revolved around lunch. Long lunch.
Appreciate the great added background, insights and info from Jeff on his cooking/kitchen skills, etc. Very true about needing good quality ingredients. Your wifey has to have loved you doing so much of the cooking duties. Fun! Don't tell me wife, however, that husbands can do so much of that complicated and challenging work there. Me being dumb has protected me from those difficult duties.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 226,156 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:
www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474
Columbus, Ohio
18,605 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
This morning is our first full day resting up after our grandsons and son departed yesterday back to Virginia. They arrive safely back there late in the afternoon. BUT, for those who wanted to know if folks had "FUN", below is some photo "evidence". YES, grandchildren test the energy and creativity of us grandparents. Are there others who have had those challenges? And, the resulting rewards?

Venice: Loving It & Why??!! Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 69,184 views.
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Having fun with grandsons? Yes, this includes them playing with a bubble-making toy on our back patio, doing miniature golf, running around at our home, being downtown in front of my office at a fountain/sculpture, etc. .:
(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

Jacksonville, FL USA
48,498 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Terry, cute grandsons

Have a question......figured I would ask on here rather than start a new thread........concerning the plugs on the
ship....do I need to get a European adapter? I only need 1 outlet...I am very low maintenance and don't even own
a smartphone......I have yet to upgrade and all I bring with me is a flip phone and that is for emergencies only
when I am on a cruise. To keep in charged up, will the outlet in my cabin work or will I need an adapter?

Thank you.
Columbus, Ohio
18,605 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Lois R
Terry, cute grandsons Have a question......figured I would ask on here rather than start a new thread........concerning the plugs on the ship....do I need to get a European adapter? I only need 1 outlet...I am very low maintenance and don't even own a smartphone......I have yet to upgrade and all I bring with me is a flip phone and that is for emergencies only when I am on a cruise. To keep in charged up, will the outlet in my cabin work or will I need an adapter? Thank you.
Excellent pre-cruise question from Lois. On the Silver Spirit in the main suite/cabin areas, there are two different plugs that we from the USA would use. There is also a USA-type plug in the bathroom that provides lower-wattage power. Those three options should be enough and you would not need to bring along Europe-electric adapters. For us, with my lap-top, cell phone, camera chargers, my C-PAP machine, etc., however, we needed to have some added power options. And, I wisely brought along extra "stuff", etc. Does this help?

THANKS for the kind comments on our grandsons! Glad they get their good looks from my wife, etc. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 37,190 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193
Jacksonville, FL USA
48,498 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Hi Terry, thanks, yes.......that is what I needed to know. I will just keep it turned off while I am in Barcelona and when
I get to my cabin I will plug it in and then by the end of the cruise will plug it in again.
I know I am in the minority but I honestly don't care about upgrading to an I-phone.....but I probably should do it
anyway. I read somewhere that eventually my phone will probably go away altogether.
UK
6,581 Posts
Joined May 2012
Except for when work mandated a mobile phone, and apart from the emergency one that came with Helga (I have no idea what the number is ....) I don't own and won't own or use a mobile phone.

It basically means that you are handing over your peaceful uninterrupted day to anyone who has your number. I think mobile phones and in particular iphones and the like with all the social media apps is one of the largest causes of increased stress in our younger society.

Happy to join the group labelled heathens.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jeff

Jalisco Mex
191 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Penny, I'd miss buying spices you can easilly and freshly source at home but in Morroco, I'd buy ras el hanout.
Thanks, Jeff! However, I live in Mexico and don't often travel to the US or Canada....My annual trip to Europe to board a SS cruise is when I purchase spices......
UK (Deepest Lincolnshire)
1,126 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
When out walking today we passed a fully loaded fruit tree and rang the owners to ask if we could pick a few of their very ripe and sweet mirabelles (a type of small, sweet plum). Of course (she's used to us raiding her fruit trees) and Mrs Owner came along as she had no idea that she had such a tree or, indeed, what mirabelles are. Anyway we got off 20kg and I estimate that was about a tenth of the crop.

Mrs TTS has set some aside in the freezer for later use, is using half the crop for jam and we shall have the most amazing mirabelle crumples over the next year (of all things invented in these gentle isles the humble crumble remains unchallenged).

I must admit to having eaten nearly as many as I collected so no need for any more fruit for the foreseeable future!

They also have lovely cherries every year so we raid the trees for a good crop of those too. We miss the orchard we had in France with its mirabelle, damson, cherry and apple trees but it seems this kind lady has taken pity on us and insists we just take what we want from their land as they can't find a use for all the fruit. Next up is the blackberry season - add that to the blackcurrants, redcurrants, loganberries and boysenberries from our own potager and I think it safe to say that we are a bit fruited out now.

I'm beginning to understand why 'er indoors needs 5 freezers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Silver Spirit 1-2-13 LA-South Pacific-LA 31 days
Seabourn Spirit 30-11-2013 Bridgetown-Bridgetown 14 days
Silver Shadow 19-4-2014 Hong Kong-Tokyo-Alaska 27 days
Silver Whisper 25-11-2014 Amazon 17 days
Silver Spirit 13-4-2015 TA 12 days
Silver Spirit 4-12-2015 Panama Canal 17 days
Silver Whisper 27-5-2016 Baltic 14 days
QM2 8-12-2016 TA 7 days

rv La Marguerite 1-4-2017 Vietnam/Cambodia 13 days

349 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Hello All......

Great way to spend a Sunday afternoon TTS.....have fond memories of blackberry picking with my grandfather as a kid.

Looks like your grandkids were having so much fun Terry...always nice to be able to hand them back though!

Lois, whilst l love summer I'm not keen on the long light nights....

Jeff...l have a mobile phone for safety when I'm out and about on my own...it's a great comfort and has proved it's worth many a time.
Having said that l do find them VERY offensive when being 'misused ' as l call it.....restaurants being my number one gripe along with other sensitive public places where l have no wish to be forced to listen to the personal chatter of others....who feel the need to shout whilst walking about with the damn things attached to their ears and at times placing themselves in danger to both themselves and others!

Ah well......that's my rant at Speakers Corner for today...😉

It's a beautiful day here, warm and sunny and I've been up since 6am to make the most of it.
Simple cottage pie with cauliflower cheese for luncheon today......sadly no Wimbledon........😊
UK
6,581 Posts
Joined May 2012
Today was the first outing of the instant pot. I did pork in a sort of Noily Provencale mushroom sauce. Wifey pronounced it perfect and gobbled it all up like a good girl.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jeff

1,126 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Probably 20 or so years ago when mobiles were less common (and much larger) I had one for on call. Anyway on a train back from London a typical yuppie boy was booming into his phone to sylvie (I'm guessing his secretary - maybe his therapist, I don't know) all about this great deal he had negotiated and to tell so and so to get such and such contracts etc etc ad nauseam.

My phone was actually off but I couldn't resist - well sometimes you just can't help yourself can you - and had a very loud conversation with my '' broker'' instructing him to sell my entire holding in ICI and transfer the 8.3 million directly to my bank at the end of the settlement period.

Then I rang my' 'wife' and ask her to send the car to pick me up at such and such a time.

Yes, I can be very petty at times. Fun, though.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QM2 8-12-2016 TA 7 days

Canada
2,326 Posts
Joined May 2008
Greetings Coolers!

Miss S. Enjoy your lovely lunch and your beautiful summer day!

J. Your instant pot meal looks fabulous! I'm sure many more mouth-watering creations will follow with your new kitchen toy!

Have a great day all!
1,126 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by mysty
TTS...another imp in the Cooler! Sounds like the perfect thing to do.
The very most rude thing that anyone can do, I think, is to put their palm towards you then point at their 'phone. I've even had patients in the middle of a consultation answer their 'phone - actually only once - I walked out.

Being on call and getting called while in company used to make me shrivel with embarrassment even though the company I was in would know I was on call.

I think some people need to realise that the 'phone has an off switch.

I'm not saying that people can't be rude without a 'phone, but it certainly gives them an extra excuse.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QM2 8-12-2016 TA 7 days

Columbus, Ohio
18,605 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by MissSophia
Looks like your grandkids were having so much fun Terry...always nice to be able to hand them back though! Jeff...l have a mobile phone for safety when I'm out and about on my own...it's a great comfort and has proved it's worth many a time. Having said that l do find them VERY offensive when being 'misused ' as l call it.....restaurants being my number one gripe along with other sensitive public places where l have no wish to be forced to listen to the personal chatter of others....who feel the need to shout whilst walking about with the damn things attached to their ears and at times placing themselves in danger to both themselves and others!
Appreciate the wonderful food picture by Jeff this morning. Looks great!

On cell phones, certainly understand those who legitimately hate the mis-use and/or abuse by others in dining, public places, etc. Also, can respect those who do not choose to be that "connected". BUT, wanted to give some added "perspective" and the "other side" for those debating moving up from a flip-phone to the newer and wider functioning iPhones, etc.

Personally, I love my iPhone with it having the options to check e-mail and the web on the go. Plus, having key photos, favorite music tunes, my calendar updating and matched to my schedule on the MacBook Pro laptop, checking gas prices on the go, having a flashlight function, checking weather, etc., etc. Lots of options and potentials to stay connected and make life/work easier and smoother.

During cruises, such as we just did in Europe last month, we just kept the phone in "airplane mode" during our time there to make sure that we did not get hit with any unwanted calls, charges, etc. But, having our smart phone in Europe did allow us to catch up and/or check emails, web in free wifi zones, etc.

ALSO, as a reason to consider upgrading your phone, here is a key factor to consider. Yes, many of the newer features on my iPhone 7 are not that needed, used or important to me. Yes, Apple and others over-hype the need to upgrade your phone to newer and latest models. BUT, with the iPhone 7, the phone and voice quality has been much better/improved over the earlier models. There is "fluff" and "hype" with the pushing of the "need" for newer models. BUT, in some cases, technically, there are tangible improvements that can be of value, maybe better battery life, etc. Just some added factors and background to consider. Don't rule out a newer phone unless you think a little on the various factors to consider. It's a personal choice!! Nice to have these options and potentials!

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:
www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337
Now at 32,805 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.
Albany, NY
4,266 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Tothesunset

Being on call and getting called while in company used to make me shrivel with embarrassment even though the company I was in would know I was on call.
I hear you. I hate trying to meet up with friends while on-call. It puts me in the impossible situation of having to keep an eye on the phone, yet feeling horribly rude while doing so. It's enough to make me not want to do anything else while on-call...but that is crummy too. Why should I sit home for a week at a time?

Terry, IMO the best reason to upgrade is the camera quality. I'm in awe of the photo quality on the new(ish) Galaxy S7. For some trips, I don't even bother with a camera.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JP and Chris

Last: Ganges Voyager II (Uniworld) - India's Golden Triangle & the Sacred Ganges - Feb 2017 (review)

Future bookings:

Silver Explorer - Along the Humboldt Current, Guayaquil to Valparaíso - Oct 2017

Past:

River Beatrice (Uniworld) - Danube - April 2016
(photo review)
SS Catherine (Uniworld) - Burgundy and Provence - March 2015 (review)
Silver Cloud - Eastern Med - Istanbul to Athens - October 2014 (photo review)
Silver Cloud - North Atlantic - Tower Bridge to Reykjavik - August 2014 - (photo review)
SS Antoinette (Uniworld) - Castles on the Rhine - Basel to Amsterdam - April 2014 (photo review)
Silver Explorer - Central America - Colon to Puerto Caldera - October 2013 (photo review)
Avalon Affinity - Danube - Vienna to Passau - June 2013(flooded! - awesome land trip instead )
MS Sun Boat III - Nile River - November 2012 (pics1) (pics2)
Silver Wind - Athens to Rome - June 2012 (report) (Greece pics) (Italy pics)

Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos - November 2011 (Peru pics) (Galapagos pics)
Silver Explorer - Longyearbyen to Tromso - August 2011 (report) (Svalbard pics) (Tromso pics)
Silver Wind - Cape Town to Cape Town - Feb 2011 (pics)
Silver Cloud - London to Nice - September 2010 (France pics) (Spain and Portugal pics)
Silver Wind - Black Sea - June 2010 (pics)
Silversea PAII - Antarctica - Dec 09 (pics)

Tahitian Princess 8/09; Insignia 11/08; Sea Princess 8/08; Millenium 6/08; Nautica 1/08; Nautica 11/07; Regatta 4/07; Tahitian Princess 1/07; Carnival Spirit 8/06; Insignia 5/06; etc...
Columbus, Ohio
18,605 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by jpalbny
Terry, IMO the best reason to upgrade is the camera quality. I'm in awe of the photo quality on the new(ish) Galaxy S7. For some trips, I don't even bother with a camera.
YES! YES!! Appreciate J.P.'s excellent follow-up on the so much better phone cameras that Samsung and iPhone have been offering in recent years. Personally, I am not ready or willing to give up my Nikon SLR. BUT, many have done that. With good, legitimate reason. The photo quality provided by these smart phones can be amazing. Great point that I missed. Other reactions and perspectives?

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! Those pictures start on the second page, post #26. See more at:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580
1,126 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by jpalbny
I hear you. I hate trying to meet up with friends while on-call. It puts me in the impossible situation of having to keep an eye on the phone, yet feeling horribly rude while doing so. It's enough to make me not want to do anything else while on-call...but that is crummy too. Why should I sit home for a week at a time?
I'm old enough that when I did on calls in junior days that meant literally being on the end of a landline - usually, especially on weekends, it was easier just to stay in the department.

Then along came pagers which always seemed to demand my attention when equidistant from the nearest telephones. And the seconds it took to find a phone seemed to stretch to hours. It was really annoying when the call went something like - ''just to let you know that Mrs X has asked for meal/drink/biscuit etc but you have her down as nil-by-mouth until she's seen again. But she's recovered from the anaesthetic so can we give her a drink?'' ''No. Go away!''

I retired 10 years ago but by then I'd been on a mobile for a decade or so and, my goodness, was that liberating. The only downside, I felt, was the temptation to do telephone consultations which I'm pleased to say I always resisted unless the question was plain stupid. One of my pet peeves, phone consultations - maybe I'm old-fashioned but to me there's no way to give an opinion without having the real live person at your fingertips!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QM2 8-12-2016 TA 7 days

UK
6,581 Posts
Joined May 2012
TTS,

I understand your reticence for telephone cosultations but I find them liberating and given the right circumstances much prefer them. I guess as a doctor you can stay in a consultation room and your patients come to you so it isn't much of an inconvenience. But the other side is travelling some distance and waiting for your appointment in an enclosed waiting room with no windows open and half the people are coughing and sneezing and there's always kids screaming and running around for what is often a few moments that could be done on the phone. My GP not only has ten minute ppointments but now 5 and you have to be really careful what jas been booked for you. He is extremely helpful and everything is wonderfull during quality reviews but everything dries up immediately after. Many years ago they abandoned taking blood and sending them off so routine blood checks involves another journey and queuing up for what is sometimes two hours in a small hospital. However when doctors are paid for certain checks it sometimes feels more like that is the motivation and patients are treated like a crop to harvest. I know a couple of the nurses in the center we use and one of them was complaining that the husband and wife team that run the practice earn £500k between them

And then if you need more thorough series of checks in a hospital, can they organise them all on the same day? Of course not.

What I don't understand is if in a small rown there are say four or five medium GP practices, why can't they all centralise at our local hospital so that everything is under one roof and a 24 hour service could be provided at a much less cost than managing say five centers? That would also ease A+E considersbly because they could instantly refer all those that don't need A+E to the inhouse GP service.

My whole experience of the NHS over the last few years leaves me with the very clear feeling that it doesn't see the patient as the reason why it exists and I feel quite vulnerable in that it seems more like a lottery than certsinty about the quality of care and treatment. I mean no disrespect to individuals, and I accept that my experience might be atypical, but it remains what I strongly feel.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jeff

1,126 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
TTS,

I understand your reticence for telephone consultations but I find them liberating...
Depends a lot on the nature of the consultation. In my case, as a surgeon, it is all but impossible to give any meaningful advice without having the patient to hand. Most particularly with maxillo-facial trauma and its consequences - even video-consults can't replace one's own hands and eyes. Given that the GP is often dealing with repeats, trivia, malingering (it's a huge problem) and so forth I can see the attraction of phone medicine. But when you look at it from the practitioner's view you would see that enough patients are unreliable in their history that, certainly for anything that is in the least diagnostic, you need them in front of you.

I'm not getting into the NHS thing since I never had the misfortune to work for it (other than a bit of moonlighting in the early days). But I agree that it would undoubtedly be more efficient without the interference of all these sick people clogging it up.

What I do find I struggle with is that the whole of the UK's public health services are overseen by politicians who have no medical background and are motivated to a greater or lesser extent by political expediency. Yes, they have specialist advisors, of course, but the big decisions seem to be based on politics as much as need.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QM2 8-12-2016 TA 7 days