Fuel surcharge

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:20 PM.
British Columbia
2,299 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Do you think there is any chance of the fuel surcharge being lowered now the price of crude is dropping? And which cruiseline will be first.
Would be a heck of a promotion for the first one that does.

Theo
87,644 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Keep in mind the timing of when the fuel surcharges first went into effect and what the price was at that point. The price had continued to rise after the surcharges were set.

Keith
Newburgh N.Y.
7,849 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
I don't see the price coming down but I agree, it would make an interesting promotion. At the same time it would be a lot of work for the cruiselines as they'd have a decision to make on how/if they would rebate people who have already booked. Unless the fuel costs really stabalize, just be glad if you booked early and got the lower rate!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

NCL Escape 10.14.18 NYC, Fla, GSC, Nassau M&G's and More… Details Sign Up

Previous Cruises:

NCL Gem Fla. Nassau 5/16 Pics, NCL Breakaway Bermuda 9/15, NCL Breakaway Fla, GSC, Nassau 3/15 Pics Vids, NCL Breakaway Fla, GSC, Nassau 3/14 Pics, Carnival Splendor GT, HMC, Nassau 10/13 Pics Vids, Carnival Miracle Fla., Nassau, Freeport 11/12 Pics Vids, NCL Jewel Fla., GSC, Nassau 5/11 Washy Vid, Carnival Miracle OBMC CC Group E. Carib. 5/10 Pics, NCL Dawn "Kings Wharf Rats" CC Group Bermuda 6/09 Pics Vids, Carnival Destiny S. Carib 5/08, NCL Crown Bermuda 8/06, Carnival Destiny S. Carib 4/04, RC Bermuda 8/02, Princess W. Carib 4/00, Celebrity Zenith Bermuda 8/97
S2C
107,205 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Remember that the cruise lines sign contracts for their fuel -- so if the price goes down -- that contract won't change.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.
Shanghai, PRC / Sete, France
3,888 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
The cruise lines didn't start fuel surcharges until more than a year after the fuel prices had doubled from $300 a ton to over $600 a ton.

Now fuel prices have dropped just a few dollars and you want them to lower the fuel surcharges?

That doesn't make any sense.
Beijing, China
1,239 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Nearly every mass market cruise ship is currently sailing fully booked, and advance bookings for the remainder of 2008 and 2009 are the highest in the history of cruising.
With ships already booked to capacity, what would a cruise line have to gain by lowering prices for cabins that are already sold?

It's a Sellers Market. When the public is begging you to sell them something, you really needn't lower your price.
Greenville, SC, USA
52,146 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
I don't think the surcharges will go away too quickly. Cruise lines don't want to be adding them, then taking them off, then adding them again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul
San Diego
8,858 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
cant imagine with how unstable that market is that anyone will be jumping to any hasty decisions...I think we are likely to see an adjustment before the removal of the charge...but even that is likely not realistic...think of the work trying to refund the difference of thos who paid all the different fuel supplements...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruises sailed
11/05 Disney Wonder - Bahamas
05/06 Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean - Honeymoon
12/06 Monarch of the Seas - Baja Mexico
05/07 Liberty of the Seas - Western Caribbean - Maiden Voyage
10/07 Vision Of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
04/08 Monarch of the Seas - Baja Mexico
09/08 Rhapsody of the Seas - Alaska - now C&A Platinum
01/09 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera
04/09 Carnival Elation - Baja Mexico B2B part 1
04/09 Carnival Elation - Baja Mexico B2B part 2
12/09 Celebrity Equinox - Southern Caribbean
04/10 Radiance of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
10/10 Caribbean Princess - Southern Caribbean
03/11 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas
05/11 Carnival Paradise - Baja Mexico

So far 101 wonderful days spent at sea!!
Richardson, TX
71,096 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by Krazy Kruizers
Remember that the cruise lines sign contracts for their fuel -- so if the price goes down -- that contract won't change.
RCL lines hedge, but Carnival doesnt. So all those 7? Carnival lines are not hedged and fuel is not bought much ahead of time.

I agree with the poster who said rebatting folks who paid more would be such a headache, like it is now, that the cruiselines will be a while deciding to lower the fuel surcharge, even a little bit would cause too many headaches.
British Columbia
2,299 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by BruceMuzz
The cruise lines didn't start fuel surcharges until more than a year after the fuel prices had doubled from $300 a ton to over $600 a ton.

Now fuel prices have dropped just a few dollars and you want them to lower the fuel surcharges?

That doesn't make any sense.
It was just a question, not a demand.

Theo
Orlando, FL
10,554 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
It certainly would be nice if they did, but it would be a pain for the cruiselines to give money back for those who already paid. I wonder if they could give OBC to those who had paid already. Hmm, it's certainly something to think about.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Imagination/Miami Review with pictures: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=810217
My Destiny Review with pictures: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1009994
My Dream Review (Eastern) with pictures: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1225410

Past Cruises:

NCL Skyward August 1984
Carnival Fantasy August 1990
Carnival Inspiration May 2004
Carnival Glory June 2005
Carnival Fantasy October 2005
Liberty of the Seas June 2007
Carnival Inspiration July 2007
Sovereign of the Seas November 2007
Carnival Legend June 2008
Carnival Imagination July 2008
Carnival Sensation March 2009
Carnival Destiny June 2009
Carnival Dream June 2010
Carnival Imagination November 2010
Bahamas Celebration May 2013
Carnival Paradise June 2013
Bahamas Celebration Birthday Cruise September 2014
Carnival Ecstasy July 2015
Carrollton, TX
25,755 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by Philip217
Nearly every mass market cruise ship is currently sailing fully booked, and advance bookings for the remainder of 2008 and 2009 are the highest in the history of cruising.
With ships already booked to capacity, what would a cruise line have to gain by lowering prices for cabins that are already sold?

It's a Sellers Market. When the public is begging you to sell them something, you really needn't lower your price.
Philip, when are you going to post the "Complaints of the week"? We miss them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Official Crazies Auditor
Home of the OKC THUNDER
18,621 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
Cost of oil January 1 was $96 a barrel. Today even with the drop in the price of oil it is around $116.

What the cruise lines have done is raise the fuel supplement charge 3 times if I remember correctly since initiating the surcharge late last year.

I predict unless oil really falls below $100 a barrel, you will see the charges remain...........at best they might reduce the charges.........but I don't look for that in the short term.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nordic Prince 8/87-Bermuda
Viking Serenade 3/93-Baja, CA
Enchantment 3/01-Eastern Caribbean
Rhapsody 9/02-Western Caribbean
Splendour 4/03-Western Caribbean
Rhapsody, 9/03-Western Caribbean
Brilliance, 4/04-Panama Canal partial;
Caribbean Princess, 11/04-Eastern Caribbean
Infinity, 4/05-Hawaii
Vision, 10/05-Mexican Riviera