Coco Cay Cabanettes

gram2kids

I have a few questions about reserving one of the cabanettes on Coco Cay. Can I reserve one prior to sailing through the RCCL website or do I have to wait until I board the ship? What part of the island are these cabanettes located? Is there access to the beach close by? Any help in answering these questions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

It surprises me that no one on here has any information regarding my above comments on reserving a cabanette on Coco Cay. If anyone that has visited the island and at least observed one in use can you tell me if they do a good job covering the person from the sun. I have a sun allergy so I require to have as much shade as possible so I thought these cabanettes would be ideal for my skin protection. I thought of the free-standing cabana's but it will only be me needing this protection so it doesn't make sense to spend over $200.00 on one for a single use. If these are not available is there enough loungers placed in well shaded areas to use as alternatives for shade? My plan is not to be stuck on the ship while everyone else is out enjoying themselves on the island where there is such beauty and fun on Coco Cay to enjoy but I also need to protect my skin from further damage. Your response, thoughts and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

They are "clamshells"...and block much of the breeze at times. There are plenty of trees for shade. Many groves of trees have lovely hammocks...took a nice nap in one!!!

With an allergy to sun, whether you're in the clamshell or not, the radiant light is gonna get you...I would wear sun-blocking clothing, too!

Sorry, I don't know about the booking of them, as we've never used one!!

Edited by cb at sea

They are "clamshells"...and block much of the breeze at times. There are plenty of trees for shade. Many groves of trees have lovely hammocks...took a nice nap in one!!!

With an allergy to sun, whether you're in the clamshell or not, the radiant light is gonna get you...I would wear sun-blocking clothing, too!

Sorry, I don't know about the booking of them, as we've never used one!!

Thanks for the swift reply. The hammocks sounds like a very inviting thought, for sure! I am prepared with long sleeve sun protective clothing (great selection offered from Lands End, BTW) and extra sunscreen. I guess I'll just have to be patient and hope that I can snag one of the cabanettes and/or lounger in the shade. Fair skin, freckles and sun allergies are not very conducive for enjoying the island life unless preparing oneself beforehand.

• 2 weeks later...

We rented a cabannette last year and loved it! In our opinion they are far better than the full size cabanas and cost far less. The location to the water is far better than the full size cabanas. They must be reserved once on board the ship and suite guests have priority. You can also be put on a wait list if they fill up. They shade you well, are near the nature trail, although quite a distance from the lunch buffet. A tram will take you to lunch if you would rather not walk. There is a bar for drinks and the cabannettes have easy access to the water as well as include floating mats with the reservation. They are a bit secluded from the busy part of the beach, but this was a plus for us!

We rented a cabannette last year and loved it! In our opinion they are far better than the full size cabanas and cost far less. The location to the water is far better than the full size cabanas. They must be reserved once on board the ship and suite guests have priority. You can also be put on a wait list if they fill up. They shade you well, are near the nature trail, although quite a distance from the lunch buffet. A tram will take you to lunch if you would rather not walk. There is a bar for drinks and the cabannettes have easy access to the water as well as include floating mats with the reservation. They are a bit secluded from the busy part of the beach, but this was a plus for us!

Thanks, Ladybug

Your information is very helpful and I will take your advice and reserve one as soon as I get on board or as you suggested be put on a wait list if none are available at boarding time. Plus, being away from the busy areas is a bonus. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Hey gram2kids.

My wife and I rented a cabanette on our cruise a couple of years ago (EotS).

It was the best $50 I've spent.

What did we get for that paltry sum?

-A spot away from the herd

-Your own attendant and bar

-Two lounge chairs

-A bowl of fresh fruit

-Two bottles of water

-No having to shlep towels to and from the ship because towels are provided

-Floats

-And of course, the clamshell cabanette

Doing my research initially it looked small and cheesy. But the cabanette does accommodate two people very well. And can be flipped forward some to shield you from the sun if so desired.

We did get a golf cart ride to and from the site and to and from the barbecue. Again, it's been a couple of years so things may have changed but I still think it's well worth it. Here is a review from our cruise that has pictures of the cabanette:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1931455

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just wanted to let you know that the price as of March this year is still $50. We booked them on board after finding out the cabanas were sold out and liked these better. The attendent we had, forget her name, was very sweet and made sure my mom always had ice for her water. It's very quiet there and less rocky than the public areas but there is seaweed you have to get through which had the lovely slime texture. As the other poster said you should be ok for shade and they can be flipped forward as needed.

They are a hike away so i would for sure take the tram. The gentlemen who drives it waits behind the shore excursion building that is to your right after the enterance. There is nothing telling you what the tram is for and the driver just sits there waiting so we missed it as we thought he was picking up all the people waiting there for an excursion. Our fault for not going up to him to ask. Just wanted to give you a heads up as we had to wait a while, even after asking for him to be radioed to return, and ended up just walking which was too much for my mother.

Also, they will drive you to the buffet at two different times so you can pick which time you like better. The last tram leaves i think 45 minutes before the all aboard time. Have a great time!! :D

Hi, just wanted to let you know that the price as of March this year is still $50. We booked them on board after finding out the cabanas were sold out and liked these better. The attendent we had, forget her name, was very sweet and made sure my mom always had ice for her water. It's very quiet there and less rocky than the public areas but there is seaweed you have to get through which had the lovely slime texture. As the other poster said you should be ok for shade and they can be flipped forward as needed.

They are a hike away so i would for sure take the tram. The gentlemen who drives it waits behind the shore excursion building that is to your right after the enterance. There is nothing telling you what the tram is for and the driver just sits there waiting so we missed it as we thought he was picking up all the people waiting there for an excursion. Our fault for not going up to him to ask. Just wanted to give you a heads up as we had to wait a while, even after asking for him to be radioed to return, and ended up just walking which was too much for my mother.

Also, they will drive you to the buffet at two different times so you can pick which time you like better. The last tram leaves i think 45 minutes before the all aboard time. Have a great time!! :D

Just wanted to update everybody that the cabanettes for the September 7th Enchantment of the Seas sailing date was $65. Still well worth the price, in my opinion. The tram operator will come and pick you up early for lunch. He doesn't like to, but he will if you insist. We had another excursion booked that left at 1pm, and I wanted to get to the BBQ at noon. so we could have lunch. He told us he would be back at 12:45. I told him that would not work for us. I wanted to ride back at 11:30. He said that was to early. After I insisted on 11:30 he told me to have the attendant call him when we were ready. He did show up at about 11:45 and took us back to the front of the island. When we got off he told us that they weren't serving lunch yet and we would have to wait. That wasn't true as we passed by the food area on the way to the front and people were already eating. Hopefully they will have a different tram operator or have this one trained better in the future.

Nancy

This is great info for our Oct 17 Freedom cruise, thanks all! I have a couple questions- I see in boogerwolf's review from Oct 2013 that there are lounge chairs under umbrellas. Do the lounge chairs cost anything or are they first come first served? Thanks!

IF you are referring to the two lounge chairs under that straw umbrella in that picture showing my feet, I believe those are for the cabanette renters.

The area where the cabanettes are on the other side of the island thus seperated from what I call "gen pop". So those using the cabanettes are usually the only ones using that stretch of beach (save for those walking thru on the shoreline).

Edited by boogerwolf

• 3 weeks later...

I looked into reserving the cabanette for an upcoming Coco Cay stop, and unless I am looking in the wrong place to reserve these (under shore tours under my reservation), the price is now $49.99 PER PERSON. This is a big price increase. Maybe you only need to put in one person's name, rather than check each person for the reservation. Can anyone clarify the reservation process for the Coco Cay Cabanettes?

Karen