Has anyone used this alternative to a tripod?

While it does not weigh much, it's physical size would take up a fair amount of room in your luggage. Personally, I find that if I rest my elbows on the railing, it works just as well as anything else to take pictures. Don't forget that while the ship is moving, there is a lot of vibration going on, and in a lot of cases its better to just hold the camera and not worry about bracing.

I have carried tripods/monopods in the past, and 99% of the time they never get used so I leave them home now. Bracing against a handy tree/fence/street light etc., will do wonders for steadying you during your shot.

Cheers,

The rails are almost universally topped with wood and bracing the camera against the solid rail will likely be more steady that a soft pad that allows some flex. I mentioned the wood topping because the wood is softer than the camera and won't cause it any harm.

Here's a "rail-pod" shot with the camera held firmly against the rail for about two seconds:

p843423186-4.jpg

Dave

The rails are almost universally topped with wood and bracing the camera against the solid rail will likely be more steady that a soft pad that allows some flex. I mentioned the wood topping because the wood is softer than the camera and won't cause it any harm.

Here's a "rail-pod" shot with the camera held firmly against the rail for about two seconds:

p843423186-4.jpg

Dave

Dave - I'm a beginner when it comes to photography and am trying to learn. You seem to give so much good advise on these boards. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing your camera settings for that picture. I know you said your shutter speed was about 2 seconds. What about ISO or Aperture?? Do you normally use all manual, or shoot in aperture priority?

There are all sorts of lightweight tripods you can take with you on a cruise, including the Gorillapod, TrekTech T-Pod, and even some travel-friendly tripods like Benro's "Travel Flat" full size tripods (my favorite).

There are all sorts of lightweight tripods you can take with you on a cruise, including the Gorillapod, TrekTech T-Pod, and even some travel-friendly tripods like Benro's "Travel Flat" full size tripods (my favorite).

You could also take a chain pod which is small and light. Not nearly as good as a real tripod or monopod but much lighter.

DON

Dave - I'm a beginner when it comes to photography and am trying to learn. You seem to give so much good advise on these boards. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing your camera settings for that picture. I know you said your shutter speed was about 2 seconds. What about ISO or Aperture?? Do you normally use all manual, or shoot in aperture priority?

Memory failed me...

It was shot at 4s - f/16 - iso100

I usually shoot in aperture priority, probably 99% of the time. I like the control it gives me over depth of field.

The f/16 aperture in this case was not for DOF, but to lengthen the exposure. It was after sunset, but still fairly light.

Dave

Thanks again everyone.

Dave - Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I hope someday I will understand all this!

Don - I never heard of a chain pod before - I actually had to google it. Very interesting the way that works! I might have to try it.

Awboater - Someone at work just offered to let me borrow their gorillapod, so I might have to take him up on it. I should at least give it a try!

Thanks again everyone.

Awboater - Someone at work just offered to let me borrow their gorillapod, so I might have to take him up on it. I should at least give it a try!

There are two sizes of Gorillapod; compact camera and DSLR size. The small one will not work on a DSLR, only the large one.

Thanks again everyone.

Dave - Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I hope someday I will understand all this!

Don - I never heard of a chain pod before - I actually had to google it. Very interesting the way that works! I might have to try it.

The nice thing about a chain pod is that you can just stick it in your pocket.

DON

The "Chain Pod" seems to be a lower-cost alternative to a Kirk Strap Pod (Kirk doesn't do anything cheap):

http://www.kirkphoto.com/Strap-Pod.html

Not sure which one was first, but I have used a strap pod before. Surprisingly it does help somewhat, but I have not found it to be much good for longer-term exposures - those approaching 1sec or longer.

I am sure it has a lot to do with your ability to stay steady.

I wrote an article on low-light photography that has a section on exposure and the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO. It also deals with various ways of steadying your camera when the light is not so good. You might find some of the info relevant.

http://pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/LowLight.htm

Dave

Thanks again everyone! My coworker brought in his gorillapod and it is the larger one that would fit my camera. I think I will bring it on vacation.

Dave - I'm going to read your article now. Low light photography is very difficult for me, so I can use all the help & knowledge I can get!

p843423186-4.jpg

Dave

Nice shot!

Archived