yellow fever shots

LHT28

While I haven't cruised there yet, I will be next fall. I asked my doctor and the only shots that he suggested I get was for hepitis A and B ... providing I wasn't going to have 'risky' contact with the locals (such as unprotected sex, sharing needles, etc.)

Allis154:

Was your doctor referring to contracting yellow fever through needles and unprotected sex? Yellow fever is transmitted through a vector, in this case mosquitoes.

Hepatitis can be transmitted through needles and unprotected sex, perhaps that is what he/she meant?

Anyone wanting information on suggested vaccines should check out the CDC's website: http://www.cdc.gov and select from the variety of "traveler" topics. You can actually look up vaccine recommendations by country. It's very helpful, explaining how many vaccines you need and how far in advance.

Travel clinics are also really good resources regarding what vaccines you need and more importantly, HAVING VACCINE IN STOCK, which not all doctor's offices do.

• 1 month later...
Allis154:

Was your doctor referring to contracting yellow fever through needles and unprotected sex? Yellow fever is transmitted through a vector' date=' in this case mosquitoes.

Hepatitis can be transmitted through needles and unprotected sex, perhaps that is what he/she meant?

[/quote']

Hepatitis was what he was refering too, specifically Hep C.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone recently done a cruise to the following ports of call and needed to have yellow fever shots before embarcation?

Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatamala, Belize, Panama canal,

Unless you are going to be trekking through the jungle, I wouldnt bother. We got several shots last year for CR and PC. What a huge waste of money. If you do the usual excursions, the risk is minimal.

Have a great cruise.

We leave in a week for Panama, costa rica and Nicaragua. We contacted the local travel clinic, and they recommended typhoid, tetanus (if you're not already up to date), hepatitus A and malaria protection.

I was told that yellow fever is currently endemic only in Africa.

Check with a travel clinic, they will have the most updated information and shots available for the exact areas you're visiting.

Hope this helps.

Beth

Unless you are going to be trekking through the jungle, I wouldnt bother. We got several shots last year for CR and PC. What a huge waste of money. If you do the usual excursions, the risk is minimal.

Have a great cruise.

we did not book the trip :(

The cruiseline required people to have shots before they would allow you onboard to cruise to the Amazon.

I could have gotten a medical wavier but DH did not want the shot either.

So we did the Mexican Riviera! Not as exciting but NO SHOTS REQUIRED! :D

we did not book the trip :(

The cruiseline required people to have shots before they would allow you onboard to cruise to the Amazon.

I could have gotten a medical wavier but DH did not want the shot either.

So we did the Mexican Riviera! Not as exciting but NO SHOTS REQUIRED! :D

LHT28, you have no idea what you missed. We took this amazing cruise and it was worth 10 shots if necessary. We saw PINK river dolphins, gators' and crocs, monkeys and macaws, toucans and natives dressed in nothing but feathers, a blow gun and a smile! A once in a lifetime adventure I wouldn't have missed for the world. We liked it so much on board we booked the b2b and stayed on for a total of 6 weeks :eek: Such a sacrifice :D Sorry, we missed you but they do plan the same cruise next year.

Yellow fever is NOT only endemic in Africa - it's still endemic in parts of central and south america, including Panama. however, it is not a risk if you're just going to the canal zone. If you are just going to the Panama City area, you will not need a shot. If you're going to the Amazon, or many other areas of Panama and Central and South America, you will need one. Make sure to tell your travel clinic EXACTLY where you plan to go so they can make the appropriate recommendations.

The Yellow Fever Shot can have fatal side effects, so if you don't need it don't get it. However, the disease is much more likely to be fatal than the shot, so if you do need it, make sure you get it.

The San Blas, Bocas del Toro, and Darien areas of Panama will require the shot. The Canal Zone and Panama City will not.

• 3 weeks later...

HAL says they are required for travel to Guatemala or Nicaragua within 6 days of stopping in Columbia or Panama even if you are not getting off the ship, so we have to get them to board the HAL Panama Canal cruise on 4/2/06.

My Dr. also suggested Hep A & B, and gave me the number for disease control. He also said other vaccines (yellow fever & Mylaria) would only be needed if we were staying in that are for any length of time & if we were going to be off the ship for early evening hours as that is when the mosquitos are most prevelant. The disease control centre said the same thing, and that it was not worth putting ourselves through the discomfort or expense.

Some cruiselines will not allow you to board if you do not have the shots so best to check with your cruiseline's policy on Yellow fever shots.

The CDC only recommends the shots for certain areas, they are not mandatory but some cruiselines feel you should have them.

Archived