Photos of HAL Staterooms/Cabins

IRL_Joanie

Hi all,

Since joining CC I have noticed so many people requesting photos of the Stateroom/Cabin photos and descriptions of them.

What I am looking at doing, with your cooperation, is to create on my web site, a place to post all of the HAL ships Staterooms/cabins by ship and your descritions of them.

I know CC has a photo gallery for them, but very few ever post their photos there:(

So, if you click on my email below and send them to me, and Please put CC HAL Stateroom/Cabin in the subject line, and the Ships name and description of the Stateroom/Cabin, to include the Deck # and name and the Stateroom/Cabin number in the body of the message. I will get this project started:)

email: irl_joanie@yahoo.com

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I think you're taking on a huge (and unnecessary) project. To begin with, it'll be years before you can accumulate pics of all 10,500 HAL cabins (increasing by 1100 next year), and until you do some CC members will still ask for "cabin 123" when you have pics of 121 and 125 on the same ship!

IMO it's adequate the way it is now, where a "close enough" picture can be provded by somebody, and comments tailored to the specific questions that someone may have about a room.

Further, if people don't contribute pics to the places now available (quote: I know CC has a photo gallery for them, but very few ever post their photos there.) why do you think you will have better luck getting them?

Further, HAL is constantly changing things, and often the photo requests posted are for the newest cabins, such as the Lanai or stern cabins on the Veendam, which you won't have either.

However, if I can't talk you out of it, I've got a few that I can email you! :D

Edited by jtl513

Hey Joanie,

I'm going to be on the Eurodam next month and I will try to get some pictures for you!! I think it is a great idea, Thank you for taking the time to do this!! :)

I agree I would much rather just view than have to pay:rolleyes:

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I think you're taking on a huge (and unnecessary) project. To begin with, it'll be years before you can accumulate pics of all 10,500 HAL cabins (increasing by 1100 next year), and until you do some CC members will still ask for "cabin 123" when you have pics of 121 and 125 on the same ship!

IMO it's adequate the way it is now, where a "close enough" picture can be provded by somebody, and comments tailored to the specific questions that someone may have about a room.

Further, if people don't contribute pics to the places now available (quote: I know CC has a photo gallery for them, but very few ever post their photos there.) why do you think you will have better luck getting them?

Further, HAL is constantly changing things, and often the photo requests posted are for the newest cabins, such as the Lanai or stern cabins on the Veendam, which you won't have either.

I know John, I thought of those things before I posted:) But I can get it started and keep it updated as people send the stuff in. I can post the goods and the bads for those cabins, such as ok here is Westerdam Stateroom/Cabin #A-123, as you can see, it is a great room with an obstructed view, but ... and so on and so on.

As people do their cruises, they can send me the photos and I can update the site with new stuff. That would take care of after retrofitting, refurbishments etc...

Hey, look at it this way, as long as I am doing it, I will be able to continue to live vicariously through the eyes of other cruisers more fortunate than I for taking all the ships I wanna take, but cannot:D And at the same time, I can help other CC'rs:)

Hey Joanie,

I'm going to be on the Eurodam next month and I will try to get some pictures for you!! I think it is a great idea, Thank you for taking the time to do this!! :)

I agree I would much rather just view than have to pay:rolleyes:

Great CondoDiva!! Thank You!!

Thank You!! I am saving them right now and have copied your notes for addition to the photos:)[/quote

Joanie,

Have you posted your website yet? I would love to see it. Thanks!

I am working on it right now:) So far have 3 cabins on the Amsterdam and am trying to get those up as fast as I can. Give me a couple of days and I will upload it and let ya'll start looking and telling me what I need to change or add:D

Thanks Tamsocal!!! On my way to grab them now! I have jtl513's and will start building the page(s) today:)

Hi Joanie-

forgot to send comments w/ the pics.....

The room was great. Clean & spotless. Exactly as described & pictured in the brochure. The room & verandah were actually more spacious than what we had imagined after reading the brocure (not sure why-- but w/ us traveling w/ the kids - I guess I might have still been imagining cramped quarters). We had 2 pak n plays at the foot of our bed and still lots of room to move around (we have also had 2 pak n plays in a 180 sf room and have been satisfied so we are easy to please from that standpoint). The 6 year old slept on the leather sofa-- we found that it was just as comfortable & easier from a space standpoint to have the steward make up his bed on top of the couch vs pulling out the sleeper sofa. We did rearrange some of the furniture w/ stewards approval to accomodate the twins and not smashing their heads on the glass coffee table or breaking the flower vase ( we have done this on probably every cruise-- one cruise in our 180 sf room the steward actually took away the coffee table).

TONS of storage-- We could have brought 4 more suitcases to fill all of the drawers & storage space-- honestly I think 50% of our storage space was not used and this includes one closet solely housing our double stroller and another w/ froggy their bathtub for the cruise ( 7051 didn't have a bathtub-- sorry no pics of the bathroom).

He had our steward empty our fridge so we could put water & milk cartons for the little ones inside

Great lighting, didn't use the hairdryer, comfortable chairs and bed. The room decor was great & well kept minus the cigarette burns to the carpet & furniture. Lots of hangers-- too many in fact w/ the laundry service we had to keep sending them back. Great to have the menus each day-- but with the sale advertisements and everything else-- I felt like we were at home receiving junk mail and wasting trees. Alarm clock., TV & DVD player worked great. Didn't bring an IPOD and never got around to hooking anything into the TV so no comment on able or not.

Location-- we loved it. easy access to aft elevators and also to back exit w/ stairs up to Lido deck. Little bit of a walk to Neptune lounge but we have been used to much larger ships so seemed like a shortwalk to us. I would definitely prefer SB aft vs SA forward-- as we were so conveniently close to the aft elevators for lido restaurant, main dining rooms, kings room, Club HAL, pool, sports deck, etc-- for us the majority of what occupied our time was in the aft-- we did go to the shows, spa & gym-- but still would have prefered aft fs forward.

We did have vibration noise briefly once-- this was resolved with DH placing some cotton balls behind one of the picture frames to prevent the clanking noise. Otherwise there was the normal ship vibration that we felt anywhere forward, aft or midship but not a nuissance to us.

No noise from chairs being moved on the deck above as others has posted- but this was alaska. However it was August and we did have exceptional weather and the roof was frequently open- but still no noise from above.

We did have trouble with our door not locking for 3 days and one other room maintanance issue- but these were resolved within an hour after advising the hotel manager (came back to our room twice to have it not locked).

Laundry service-- excellent haven't worn a pair of pressed pants for about 15 years and likely won't again until we cruise HAL. We sent laundry off every 24-48 hours and was always returned within 24hours. Same with drycleaning. They did lose a couple of articles of clothing but located them once I let them know description of what was missing- I had read posts before on keeping track of the items you send- otherwise I likely would have never known they were missing- I don't think it was intentional seeing as it was the 2nd socks to a pair, toddler clothing, etc.

Neptune service- excellent, Steward- excellent. They did forget our corsages on formal night but sent us a lovely bouquet of flowers instead.

Hi Joanie-

forgot to send comments w/ the pics.....

The room was great. Clean & spotless. Exactly as described & pictured in the brochure. The room & verandah were actually more spacious than what we had imagined after reading the brocure (not sure why-- but w/ us traveling w/ the kids - I guess I might have still been imagining cramped quarters). We had 2 pak n plays at the foot of our bed and still lots of room to move around (we have also had 2 pak n plays in a 180 sf room and have been satisfied so we are easy to please from that standpoint). The 6 year old slept on the leather sofa-- we found that it was just as comfortable & easier from a space standpoint to have the steward make up his bed on top of the couch vs pulling out the sleeper sofa. We did rearrange some of the furniture w/ stewards approval to accomodate the twins and not smashing their heads on the glass coffee table or breaking the flower vase ( we have done this on probably every cruise-- one cruise in our 180 sf room the steward actually took away the coffee table).

TONS of storage-- We could have brought 4 more suitcases to fill all of the drawers & storage space-- honestly I think 50% of our storage space was not used and this includes one closet solely housing our double stroller and another w/ froggy their bathtub for the cruise ( 7051 didn't have a bathtub-- sorry no pics of the bathroom).

He had our steward empty our fridge so we could put water & milk cartons for the little ones inside

Great lighting, didn't use the hairdryer, comfortable chairs and bed. The room decor was great & well kept minus the cigarette burns to the carpet & furniture. Lots of hangers-- too many in fact w/ the laundry service we had to keep sending them back. Great to have the menus each day-- but with the sale advertisements and everything else-- I felt like we were at home receiving junk mail and wasting trees. Alarm clock., TV & DVD player worked great. Didn't bring an IPOD and never got around to hooking anything into the TV so no comment on able or not.

Location-- we loved it. easy access to aft elevators and also to back exit w/ stairs up to Lido deck. Little bit of a walk to Neptune lounge but we have been used to much larger ships so seemed like a shortwalk to us. I would definitely prefer SB aft vs SA forward-- as we were so conveniently close to the aft elevators for lido restaurant, main dining rooms, kings room, Club HAL, pool, sports deck, etc-- for us the majority of what occupied our time was in the aft-- we did go to the shows, spa & gym-- but still would have prefered aft fs forward.

We did have vibration noise briefly once-- this was resolved with DH placing some cotton balls behind one of the picture frames to prevent the clanking noise. Otherwise there was the normal ship vibration that we felt anywhere forward, aft or midship but not a nuissance to us.

No noise from chairs being moved on the deck above as others has posted- but this was alaska. However it was August and we did have exceptional weather and the roof was frequently open- but still no noise from above.

We did have trouble with our door not locking for 3 days and one other room maintanance issue- but these were resolved within an hour after advising the hotel manager (came back to our room twice to have it not locked).

Laundry service-- excellent haven't worn a pair of pressed pants for about 15 years and likely won't again until we cruise HAL. We sent laundry off every 24-48 hours and was always returned within 24hours. Same with drycleaning. They did lose a couple of articles of clothing but located them once I let them know description of what was missing- I had read posts before on keeping track of the items you send- otherwise I likely would have never known they were missing- I don't think it was intentional seeing as it was the 2nd socks to a pair, toddler clothing, etc.

Neptune service- excellent, Steward- excellent. They did forget our corsages on formal night but sent us a lovely bouquet of flowers instead.

Thanks Tammy!! Grabbed this and added it under the photos:)

John I agree with you.

People aren't going to weed through tons and tons of cabin photos to find what they want for their ship -- it is just soooooooooo much easier to start a thread and ask if anyone has had such and such cabin number on such and such ship.

John I agree with you.

People aren't going to weed through tons and tons of cabin photos to find what they want for their ship -- it is just soooooooooo much easier to start a thread and ask if anyone has had such and such cabin number on such and such ship.

We have no idea how Joanie is going to set up her proposed photo site, so not sure how it could be assumed thatthere would be "weeding through", at this stage. I like the table plans that WA70 has set up and am happy to look through those when need be. I often look for specific cabin pics and find it difficult, so if someone is volunteering to start something up, good for them.

Personally, I admire anyone who wants to go to any effort to help other cruisers get information. Joanie, I have sent you some pics, so good luck with the task you have set for yourself.

Bruce (brucory)

:D:D:D

Hi all,

Since joining CC I have noticed so many people requesting photos of the Stateroom/Cabin photos and descriptions of them.

What I am looking at doing, with your cooperation, is to create on my web site, a place to post all of the HAL ships Staterooms/cabins by ship and your descritions of them.

I know CC has a photo gallery for them, but very few ever post their photos there:(

So, if you click on my email below and send them to me, and Please put CC HAL Stateroom/Cabin in the subject line, and the Ships name and description of the Stateroom/Cabin, to include the Deck # and name and the Stateroom/Cabin number in the body of the message. I will get this project started:)

email: irl_joanie@yahoo.com

Joanie, what a great idea! Good luck. Jena1

Joanie, what a great idea! Good luck. Jena1

Thank You Jena! I am hard at work with creating the site and am so thankful to all the CC'rs here who have donated (emailed me) their photos and descriptions and thoughts on their cabins.

I hope to have it up and running in the next couple of days:)

My thanks to all of you who have received this with such an open mind and are so willing to help! You are all so awesome!!!!

Are you sure that showing pictures of HAL cabins on a new WEB site & including cabin Numbers is legal? I know that having your own pics is no problem but now that you are using others pics too.. Aren't you supposed to have each person sign a release & a guarantee that it is their own camera which took those pics before you post them on the Internet ?

There is already a WEB site dedicated to may cruise lines ships including HAL which show different types of cabins on every ship..This man began this WEB site in 1997 & also has been invited by many Cruise Lines to show off their ships....

It's called shipscafe....

http://www.shipcafe.net/shipcafe/shipcafe.htm

Betty

P.S.Check out his full biography... Believe he still works for HAL & is their official biographer...

Edited by serendipity1499

Are you sure that showing pictures of HAL cabins on a new WEB site & including cabin Numbers is legal? I know that having your own pics is no problem but now that you are using others pics too.. Aren't you supposed to have each person sign a release & a guarantee that it is their own camera which took those pics before you post them on the Internet ?
Why? There's no such restrictions on what people post on Webshots or Photobucket or any of the other sites that CCers use to share pictures.

Why? There's no such restrictions on what people post on Webshots or Photobucket or any of the other sites that CCers use to share pictures.

Before making a blanket statement suggest you check out this WEB site:

http://www.bitlaw.com/internet/webpage.html

Are you sure?..Are you an attorney familiar with the rules of Internet publication & WEB sites?

I know I can post my pics in my own WEB site & share them with others, but can i legally use another persons pics without obtaining a release from them?

Also can I post any persons pics of HAL cabins giving specific Numbers without obtaining a release from HAL...

I belong to several organizations & each one of them state that photo's, logo's, printed material is protected..Any photo's including those with people in them, to be used in any publication must be authorized by the person..We actually have a release form to send in with our own photo's, before they can use them for printed publications & the Internet..

In one organization, Pet Therapy, our local Newspaper took a beautiful pic of one of our dogs..Our organization was prohibited from using that pic in our semi annual publication or on the Internet, as it was protected..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

I know I can post my pics in my own WEB site & share them with others, but can i legally use another persons pics without obtaining a release from them?
I think anyone who sends their pictures to IRL_Joanie is implicitly giving her persmission to use them.
Also can I post any persons pics of HAL cabins giving specific Numbers without obtaining a release from HAL...
Thousands have been, on this site. :) Edited by jtl513

So much negativity!

Enjoy your project Joanie! I look forward to seeing what you set up.

I'll be on the Zaandam in January and will take pictures and send them to you.

Negativity? :confused:The problem with what you are saying is

Too hell with copy write laws! My thinking is that so many people don't check out copy write laws before hand.. Ignorance of the law is no excuse!

Why would you want a poster on this board to have problems that could be avoided by doing the correct thing..

According to the WEB site I posted:

http://www.bitlaw.com/internet/webpage.html

it clearly states Quote" Developing text for a web page. The guidelines for text development are similar to those for obtaining images. Truly original text, developed by the creator of the web-site, may be used without copyright concerns. As with images, appropriating text from third-parties without permission is illegal, unless there is some substantial "fair use" justification for the taking. Use of third-party text pursuant to a license agreement should follow the terms of the license agreement. As for public domain works, one should never assume a work is in the "public domain" without independent investigation. Unquote

Do you actually believe that any pics the OP gets from posters here can be reprinted on the Internet without consulting an Attorney familiar with copy write laws?

I don't pretend to understand these laws at all, but I would be very naive to think that I could go ahead & print whatever I want on my WEB site without checking..

JMO...Betty

People who post photos on this site often include copyright caveats embedded in the image to restrict their free use. Those of us who post pictures without them (or send them to other members for their use) without such caveats are not worried about their own copyright rights.

Edited by jtl513