Enhanced Drivers License

TardisDance

Why is it that so many Americans do not have a passport?

I can't speak for most Americans but I don't have one for the simple fact that I don't need one for the types of travel that I can do at this point in my life. That will change next year because DW and I are planning a trip to Germany and of course we will obtain passports before we go.

BUT however caution on getting off a ship in countries other than Mexico and

Canada - your documentation may leave you stranded if as one poster put it

A Official was on a "POWER TRIP" and having a bad day with the public in general.

How would your documentation leave you stranded? You present an ID and your ship card to get back into the dock area, you don't have to show your passport/passport card/EDL unless those are your ID. If the EDL is accepted by the country for entry then that really ends the issue.

Since it's my very first cruise, I don't who's who when presenting proof of citizenship. I really don't want to be in a situation where I have to present WHTI print outs or ask for a supervisor. Counter people should at least be familiar with EDL's since my departure port is NYC and NYS offers EDL's. Just my two cents.

You are going to present your documentation at security and at the check-in counter at embarkation and to the CBP Officer when you disembark. All three will know what an EDL is (with very few exceptions). The CBP Officer is likely to advise you to obtain a passport- it's something they do because you having a passport makes their job easier (not quite sure how but that's what they say).

anti-government and they don't do international travel. less than half do. its about 46percent,

http://www.theexpeditioner.com/2010/02/17/how-many-americans-have-a-passport-2/

also includes percentage by state

That is my gut feeling about it, and I do not understand it. Ok it takes a little work to get one, but is it that much harder than getting a driver's license?

I got a passport at age 19 and I have had one since. I would never ever ever think about travelling without a passport. It seems like all these posts say things like "probably" "only few exceptions" "most of the time" and that's just not good enough for me!

I always get travel insurance, too!

Same philosophy for me. Hope you don't have to use it, nice to have just in case. It's just a roll of the dice.

Whatever OP decides, have a wonderful cruise!

That is my gut feeling about it, and I do not understand it. Ok it takes a little work to get one, but is it that much harder than getting a driver's license?

Even if that is the case (and if it's true I would guess that it only applies to a small percentage of people) what is it to you what someone else's decision making process is? If someone chooses to use one of the alternate forms of documentation it has no impact on you at all.

I got a passport at age 19 and I have had one since. I would never ever ever think about travelling without a passport. It seems like all these posts say things like "probably" "only few exceptions" "most of the time" and that's just not good enough for me!

I always get travel insurance, too!

Same philosophy for me. Hope you don't have to use it, nice to have just in case. It's just a roll of the dice.

Whatever OP decides, have a wonderful cruise!

We all have different levels of risk tolerance and of course if someone wants to eliminate as much risk as possible the choice is clear- obtain a passport.