Sea glass beach

Mdmarino1127

You would have to take the ferry from Dockyard to St George and quite a trek from there. We stopped there briefly during a horse carriage tour from where the ferry drops you. It's a cute little beach, but I must say there are many other nicer beaches I'd choose first. When I say little, I mean little, and it's sort if in the midst of a residental area. But there is an old fort there and water just past that where I saw locals jumping off a cliff.

How do we get to the sea glass beach and is it worth the trek? We are cruising celebrity summit aug 31st and docking at dockyard. Thanks!

There is another Sea Glass Beach that is very close to the Dockyard. If you take bus #7 from the Dockyard, it is at the first stop by the Military Cemetery. There are lots of posts on this section about this beach. It is covered with about 8-12inches of sea glass. You are not allowed to remove any Sea Glass. Just search it out and you will see pictures of the beach and the directions to get to it. The Beach that is talked about outside of St. George is nothing compared to this beach. People say you are allowed to pick a few pieces off from the St. George Beach. Sometimes, the ship's security takes it away and doesn't allow it on the ship.

When did it become illegal to remove sea glass? Friends and I were in Bermuda in 2012 and many fellow cruisers brought sea glass home.

Monica

I took this picture in Oct. of 2012. Maybe you were there before the sign went up. As far as I know, there have not been any reports of it not being permitted at the other glass beach near Alexandra's Battery.

IMG_1948.jpg

Edited by iheartbda

Here is a thread that talks all about the sea glass beach closer to the dockyard.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1350162

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

The glass beach on your link is the same one that iheartbda posted the sign about not being allowed to take any glass from above. It is close to the dockyard but be careful not to get caught if you decide to take any. I don't think the fine would be worth it. I'm just glad I got my sea glass before it became illegal. :D

Every member of my family took sea glass from the beach in St. George. There was no sign. Our horse & carriage driver (a local) let us off at the beach and told us we could take some. Our bags were x-rayed upon re-boarding from Bermuda and they didn't take it away from us.

It sounds like there isn't as much sea glass at the St. George beach compared to the one near the Dockyard if there is 6 inches worth at the latter. Maybe that's because you're CAN take it from the St. George beach and NOT the Dockyard one?

Every member of my family took sea glass from the beach in St. George. There was no sign. Our horse & carriage driver (a local) let us off at the beach and told us we could take some. Our bags were x-rayed upon re-boarding from Bermuda and they didn't take it away from us.

It sounds like there isn't as much sea glass at the St. George beach compared to the one near the Dockyard if there is 6 inches worth at the latter. Maybe that's because you're CAN take it from the St. George beach and NOT the Dockyard one?

There has always been far more at the one near Dockyard even when people could take it.

I took this picture in Oct. of 2012. Maybe you were there before the sign went up. As far as I know, there have not been any reports of it not being permitted at the other glass beach near Alexandra's Battery.

IMG_1948.jpg

We were in Bermuda in late April 2012, on the repositioning cruise from San Juan to Cape Liberty.

Monica

Edited by Compass Rose Monica

We were in Bermuda in late April 2012, on the repositioning cruise from San Juan to Cape Liberty.

Monica

They probably hadn't put up the sign yet since April is early for the Bermuda cruise season. I imagine they got it up for the start of the busier time.

I wonder how this ban has affected those Bermudians who make jewelry with sea glass and sell it since there doesn't seem to be an exception for residents.

It seems that the only way to enforce the ban is to have someone sitting there all the time. I guess they are depending on people doing the right thing and not taking it. I'm sure there are people who think the sign is for everyone else but them.:(

There were some heated arguments about it in letters to the editor of the Royal Gazette. Some considered it a precious natural resource and others considered it garbage since there was a dump in the area at one time and feel that's where it comes from.

• 1 month later...
How do we get to the sea glass beach and is it worth the trek? We are cruising celebrity summit aug 31st and docking at dockyard. Thanks!

Someone posted explicit walking directions (with pictures) from the dock to Sea Glass Beach, but after extensive searching, I can find it! Can anyone help? Thanks!

No use in trying to go to the Sea Glass Beach near the dockyard. We were just in Bermuda two weeks ago and someone reported the beach is closed off and not accessible any longer. It is a shame because it was a great beach to visit.

WOW!

Going to email our friend in Bermuda and see if he knows any details.

This is the official answer from WEDCO :

"Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda commented on your post.

Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda wrote: "Hi Sebastien, thanks so much for your message! Seas Glass Beach is still accessible. There has been signage put up to prevent people from taking heaps of sea glass - but by all means people are allowed to enjoy the beach! I am very happy that you asked us directly and hope the record is set straight on Cruise Critic. Once again thank you for your message - have a great day!"

That should answer the question.

This is the official answer from WEDCO :

"Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda commented on your post.

Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda wrote: "Hi Sebastien, thanks so much for your message! Seas Glass Beach is still accessible. There has been signage put up to prevent people from taking heaps of sea glass - but by all means people are allowed to enjoy the beach! I am very happy that you asked us directly and hope the record is set straight on Cruise Critic. Once again thank you for your message - have a great day!"

That should answer the question.

I didn't take "heaps of sea glass" but with what I have I started to make wire-wrapped pendants. With the prohibition of taking sea glass I wonder if the pendants will be of value in the future. :D Probably not but I'm glad I have some sea glass from my trip in 2012.

Monica

I didn't take "heaps of sea glass" but with what I have I started to make wire-wrapped pendants. With the prohibition of taking sea glass I wonder if the pendants will be of value in the future. :D Probably not but I'm glad I have some sea glass from my trip in 2012.

Monica

I wouldn't plan my retirement on the value of the sea glass ;):D

There is still a beach near St-George where sea glass is present and you can still collect it.

We stopped at Alexandria Battery Beach last week and there was pretty much there. We spent about 15 minutes and I got about 8 pieces and a very pretty shell. I was looking for specific colors which is why I only took a few pieces. I highly recommend water shoes for doing this.