Catholic church near Galveston

mitsguy2001

I will be sailing on the Carnival Magic, out of Galveston, on Sunday, June 24, 2012. Since I live far away, in New York, we plan to fly to Galveston the day before (Saturday, June 23). I am Catholic, and I want to attend Mass. It seems that it would be very inconvenient Sunday morning before the cruise, and given the flight times that are available, attending a 5:00 PM vigil Mass on Saturday would be difficult. I found that there is a church called Mary, Star of the Sea, in Jamaica Beach, TX, which has a 7:00 PM vigil Mass, which would be a much easier time for us.

However, the map shows that Jamaica Beach is somewhat of a distance, but on the same island as Galveston. Would we be able to take a cab there? How much would it cost? How would we be able to get back? From the Street View, Jamaica Beach doesn't appear urban, so I am somewhat worried about being able to get a cab to get back to Galveston.

Thank you.

Jamaica beach is quite a distance and unless you can phone a cab company, won't be easy getting back to the main part of the island.

Sunday Mass is 7:30 and 10:30 am at Sacred Heart 14th & Broadway.

St. Patrick's has an 11am Mass - 34th and Broadway, but you could have transportation problems there also.

Depending on where you are staying - Sacred Heart would probably be the best choice.

Jamaica beach is quite a distance and unless you can phone a cab company, won't be easy getting back to the main part of the island.

Sunday Mass is 7:30 and 10:30 am at Sacred Heart 14th & Broadway.

St. Patrick's has an 11am Mass - 34th and Broadway, but you could have transportation problems there also.

Depending on where you are staying - Sacred Heart would probably be the best choice.

That is not good news. I think we are staying at the Holiday Inn Express. I was really hoping to be able to go to Mass on Saturday night, since going at 10:30 AM or 11:00 AM on Sunday will make it more difficult to get to the port. And I'm not a morning person at all, so I really don't want to get up for 7:30 AM Mass.

Is there a cab company that I could call in Jamaica Beach? How much would it cost?

Thanks for your info.

Galveston is not very large - 2 miles at its widest and 32 miles long.

Jamaica Beach is a subdivision at west end of the island.

You will need to make arrangements with the cab company you will use and call them after Mass. No guarantee they will show up on time.

We sail all the time and never get to the ship before 1 or 2 as they don't begin boarding until 1pm or later. Perhaps you should consider a Sunday Mass.

Have no idea what it costs as we don't have a need for taxis.

Galveston is not very large - 2 miles at its widest and 32 miles long.

Jamaica Beach is a subdivision at west end of the island.

You will need to make arrangements with the cab company you will use and call them after Mass. No guarantee they will show up on time.

We sail all the time and never get to the ship before 1 or 2 as they don't begin boarding until 1pm or later. Perhaps you should consider a Sunday Mass.

Have no idea what it costs as we don't have a need for taxis.

Is a Galveston cab allowed to pick up a fare in Jamaica Beach? From what I read, it seems that Jamaica Beach is a seperate city, and not within the Galveston city limits.

To find Masses go to www.masstimes.org. It is a great site for travelers.

I already know about that site; that is how I found St. Mary, Star of the Sea.

I'm pretty sure that Holy Family @ St. Patrick's has Vigil Mass at 5 p.m. in English on Saturday evenings. Here's the address: 34th & Avenue K, Galveston, TX 77550-4058. For more info on Mass times you can check the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston website. Here's the link:

http://www.archgh.org/

Unfortunately, as I said, given the available flights, it will be difficult, if not impossible, to get to 5 PM Mass on Saturday.

Is a Galveston cab allowed to pick up a fare in Jamaica Beach? From what I read, it seems that Jamaica Beach is a seperate city, and not within the Galveston city limits.

I apologize for not reading your initial post completely before I answered. Jamaica Beach is on Galveston Island, it's just on the West End of the island. Yes, cabs will come and pick you up in Jamaica Beach but I have no idea what the fare would be. Looks like Yellow Cab services the island and has a website. Give them a call and see how much it will be to take you to Jamaica Beach from wherever you are staying on the island. I hope it all works out for you!

The entire island. Jamaica Beach is a subdivision.

See my post about the size of Galveston and google a map of the island to get a perspective.

Most likely, my plan will be to attempt to take a cab to St. Patrick's for the 5:00 PM Vigil Mass on Saturday, June 23. If I'm not there early enough (unfortunately, it looks like there is a good chance I won't be) then I'll take a cab to St. Mary, Star of the Sea in Jamaica Beach, and just pay the penalty for having the cab wait for an hour while I'm at Mass. Unless there is an option of pre-booking a cab to meet us after Mass, as Galveston Cruiser suggested. Failing that, we have a dilemma, since none of the Sunday Masses in the Galveston area are at even remotely convenient times. As for the end of the cruise, Sunday, July 1, I don't see any way that we could get to Mass.

I am somewhat spoiled, living in Long Island, New York, which is a very Catholic area. We have so many Catholic churches here, and they typically offer several Masses on both Saturday night and on Sunday, so it is always convenient to find a Mass that we can attend, regardless of our weekend plans. I realize that in other parts of the US, that is not always an option.

We are an island of only 39,000. Not quite the size of Long Island.

We have attended Mass at St Patrick's and Sacred Heart prior to departing on cruises and have had no problems. We never go to the ship before 1pm as the cabins are not available until then, at the earliest.

We self disembark and are typically off the ship by 7:15 am, providing there are no delays. Even the last TA, we were home by 7:15 am.

The Church has also cut back on the number of services in all parishes all over the country to conserve costs.

We had a lot of damage at churches in Galveston and South Texas from Hurricane Ike. St. Mary's Basilica in Galveston was so damaged I don't know that it will ever reopen. So sad as it was a beautiful old church that was built in the 1800's. As you can see on the Archdiocese website, most of them are now called Holy Family @ St. Patrick's or Holy Family @ Sacred Heart. They had to combine many of the parishes. It was very sad and was met with much controversy and a few tears from those losing their parish, but the costs financially were too great. Again, I hope it works out for you but if not, you certainly tried!

We have attended Mass at St Patrick's and Sacred Heart prior to departing on cruises and have had no problems. We never go to the ship before 1pm as the cabins are not available until then, at the earliest.

We self disembark and are typically off the ship by 7:15 am, providing there are no delays. Even the last TA, we were home by 7:15 am.

The Church has also cut back on the number of services in all parishes all over the country to conserve costs.

Think you have a typo there. Isn't Galveston closer to 69,000 than 39,000, or did that many leave after Ike and never return?

Think you have a typo there. Isn't Galveston closer to 69,000 than 39,000, or did that many leave after Ike and never return?

No typo, Pre Ike the popluation was 49,000. Galveston has never had a high popluation., This is a barrier island, the only one with a city of significant size.

No typo, Pre Ike the popluation was 49,000. Galveston has never had a high popluation., This is a barrier island, the only one with a city of significant size.

Not trying to "start" anything, but do want to correct your "facts". According to the 2010 census, the population of the city limits of Galveston is 47,743. When you add the population of Tiki Island (1,016) and Jamaica Beach (983), it brings the Island to almost 50,000 permanent residents. If you'll look at my screen name, I do know that Galveston is a barrier island. My first memory of being on the island is from the 1949/1950 era. Am sure I was there before then. too.

For those not familiar with Galveston, there are many "second" homes there where the residents are not included in the population. but residents are there often, especially on the weekends.

Will concede that my population number of 69,000 for the city limits goes back to 1990. I had no idea the city lost over 25% of its population in 20 years.

47,00 is the recorded population; however, the island has lost many residents due to more factions than Ike.

It still isn't Long Island, which th OP was referring.

I am aware it is not Long Island...I live right down the road a ways from Galveston and have lived here for nearly 34 years. Our family has a rich history with Galveston going way back. My great-grandfather survived the Great Storm! I just looked up the stats online and that's the population number that Galveston has listed online as of that date which is actually a very slight increase from January, 2011.

I am aware it is not Long Island...I live right down the road a ways from Galveston and have lived here for nearly 34 years. Our family has a rich history with Galveston going way back. My great-grandfather survived the Great Storm! I just looked up the stats online and that's the population number that Galveston has listed online as of that date which is actually a very slight increase from January, 2011.

I agreed

DH's family dates from 1851, home built in 1877 is still here, though "official" records show that area was 100% destroyed in 1900 storm. Family lost 31 in storm. Our home is 1860.

Anyway, all this was about the number of Catholic churches in Galveston.

This is sort of a viscious cycle. As Mass attendance drops, it seems that, in places like Galveston, more and more churches close, and those that remain open offer fewer and fewer Masses. That, in turn, makes it less and less convenient to attend Mass, which causes Mass attendance to further drop, resulting in more and more churches closing and the remaining ones offering fewer and fewer Masses. It seems that Long Island, where I live, is one of the few places that isn't suffering this problem.

This is sort of a viscious cycle. As Mass attendance drops, it seems that, in places like Galveston, more and more churches close, and those that remain open offer fewer and fewer Masses. That, in turn, makes it less and less convenient to attend Mass, which causes Mass attendance to further drop, resulting in more and more churches closing and the remaining ones offering fewer and fewer Masses. It seems that Long Island, where I live, is one of the few places that isn't suffering this problem.

I still feel that they should rebuild the Basilica in Galveston. You should see the Sacred Heart Co-Cathedral in Houston that they (we!) just built a few years ago. No expense was spared that's for sure. Of course, we're not in charge...we're just the ones that donate! :)

My DH and I always arrive in Galveston on Saturday evening. We have done both the 5pm and the 10:30am Masses. Either one works just fine. With the 10:30, we let the office of the hotel know where we were going and that we would be back to check out about 11:30 and had no problem. Then we just left for the terminal and the timing is always really good.

Archived