Isla Pasion?

Lerin

We are thinking of taking the Carnival excursion called Family Beach Retreat-or something like that. It takes a catamaran to Isla Pasion.

Has anyone been here and have any hints or tips to share?

Based on good reviews we took the power cat (a ferry) there for something different and we were not impressed with the beach and set-up there, just our opinion of course. This may be something different. There is also the Twister option that looks like fun.

I've now skimmed through over 50 online reviews as well as Mitsugirlie's as suggested above.

Except Mitsugirlie's and blue_water, the reviews are GLOWING.

So confused on what to do...

We've visited the area for years, and we now have a home near Playa. So we've enjoyed many gorgeous beaches along the Riviera Maya and on Coz and we are definitely spoiled. Having said that, my "not impressed" remark is probably a bit harsh.

We were cruising with friends who were on their first cruise to the Carib, and Coz was the first port. They were interested in a nice beach for their first day and didn't want one of the busier beach clubs so we chose the Isla Pasion excursion through Carnival. The beach is nice enough, don't get me wrong, but from reviews you'd expect something really special. We did think the lounges and other facilities were a bit ragged, but again we were just expecting more based on those GLOWING reviews.

So I'm sure you will enjoy your day, and this may be a better excursion than ours a few years ago.

Enjoy your cruise!

Yeah, we're having second thoughts. Sometimes when reviews are so good, you find out people were given perks of some sort to write them( ie: free drink, 20% off a rental, $50 credit...) so I get a little wary.

Mitsugirlie especially seems to write very through and honest reviews-and hers was not good of the place at all.

Do you have any suggestions on all-inclusives or other beach day places that a family of 8 (4 adults, 2 seniors, 2 kids aged 3 and 9) would enjoy?

I think that the vast majority of reviews (that we've read) are from folks that just enjoyed their day and found the beach to be beautiful. It is a nice beach, I was a bit harsh in my initial reply as I mentioned, and the service was great. It's just more of a "temporary set-up", if that makes sense, and a more natural setting than one of the popular beach clubs with more amenities. And again I don't know if there is more there now as we were there a few years ago...

We head to the quieter beaches further from the cruise port when we visit Coz and so can't help with your question, but there are several threads on that, and the Coz forum on trip advisor is another good source. But if you want something "different" from the typical beach club I would recommend IP for that reason.

My wife and I have been to Passion Island twice (via catamaran, not Twister) and have enjoyed our visits both times. The beach is fun to swim at (though the first time the water was a little cold), the drinks and food are plentiful, and it was not crowded. I would go again, but I think next time we are going to try something different -- maybe Mr. Sancho's or Nachi Cocum,

• 3 weeks later...