Quincy Market question.

zebra

OK - while I believe that to be totally true, and wish we had time to stay in Boston and experience all the restaurants, we only have time to visit the Quincy Market on the afternoon before we leave, so my question is: Which restaurant there has the best Clam Chowder.

There's a place called Boston Chowda there (it's a local chain) that has pretty good chowder (and lots of other seafood soups). But truly, I don't tell anyone looking for "the best" of any food to go to Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall.

Check out the Union Oyster House, 41 Union Street, adjacent to Quincy Market, for awesome clam chowder. It is America's oldest restaurant (from 1826) and is a designated National Historic Landmark. And really - it's less than a 5 minute walk from Quincy Market/Fanueil Hall.

Boston Chowda is in a large 'food court' and you may have a problem finding a place to sit.

Check out the Union Oyster House, 41 Union Street, adjacent to Quincy Market, for awesome clam chowder. It is America's oldest restaurant (from 1826) and is a designated National Historic Landmark. And really - it's less than a 5 minute walk from Quincy Market/Fanueil Hall.

Boston Chowda is in a large 'food court' and you may have a problem finding a place to sit.

I second that vote :) It's just across the street really.

The Union Oyster House is great, a must see. You can also walk across the street to the Long Wharf area by the Aquarium and go to Legal Sea Foods which for years has won many awards for their chowder being the best. A short walk to another pretty cool area.

I"m not big on Quincy Market, quintensential (sp?) tourist trap area. But, I understand the time thing. The North End is another great place to see and it also is a short walk. Paul Revere's house is pretty cool in my mind.

Some great restaurants over there. There isn't one decent restaurant in Quincy Market, IMHO.

It's a bummer that we only have half a day in Boston before boarding the ship the next morning. When we get back to Boston after the cruise we will also have a full day in port before sailing out again in the evening ... so hopefully we can try another good suggested restaurant for lunch that day.

On arrival we had planned to spend the afternoon at the Quincy Market (hence the question of where to get a good chowder for lunch) and then we want to spend the evening in the North End .... looking for a great place there too (not too expensive). We have one issue though - wherever we eat they would have to have seafood and non-seafood entrees. I am sooooo looking forward to New England seafood and my hubby is deathly allergic to shellfish :( Thanks for all the good suggestions - please keep them coming.

Quincy Market....think tourist trap...similar to South Street Seaport in NYC and whatever they call the Inner Port thing in Baltimore...possibly all managed by the same outfit..

Union Oyster House and the entire North End really close by....OTOH ...excellent authentic and worth the shlep from the Cruise Terminal way way out by Logan AP

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

On arrival we had planned to spend the afternoon at the Quincy Market (hence the question of where to get a good chowder for lunch) and then we want to spend the evening in the North End .... looking for a great place there too (not too expensive). We have one issue though - wherever we eat they would have to have seafood and non-seafood entrees. I am sooooo looking forward to New England seafood and my hubby is deathly allergic to shellfish :( Thanks for all the good suggestions - please keep them coming.

North End has over 100 restaurants of all prices points ($15 entrees to $45 entrees). Most are Italian places, of course, and most have seafood and non-seafood options.

For a classic "red sauce" type of restaurant two of our favorites that have reasonable prices are;

Pagliucci's just off Hanover ST by the "Conah Store"

Mother Annas right at the beginning of Hanover.

There are tons of others.

Where are the Bostonians? Anywhere but elbowing their way among the tourists at Fanueil Hall. (And many of us make our own chowder at home. :-)

She didn't want to go anywhere else but there. We went with the parameters we were given.

Where are the Bostonians? Anywhere but elbowing their way among the tourists at Fanueil Hall. (And many of us make our own chowder at home. :-)

Just to clarify: We will be in Boston for a half day before our cruise and on this day we want to do Quincy market as it is close to The Langham where we will be staying. We only arrive at 3pm. We will have flown from FLorida in the morning and won't be too bright eyed and bushy tailed, so we thought we would do something close to the hotel. From there we plan to spend the end of the day in the North End.... enjoying a good dinner and picking up something yummy at a Pastry shop. Then ...... after the cruise we will spend a whole day back in Boston before our next cruise. On this day we will cram in all the historical high points using the Hoho. (This post was not about this particular day.)

One thing one has to remember about your own hometown is that we ALL have "tourist traps" in our cities which we as residents don't frequent - but as a "tourist" we have a different interest in seeing a smattering of what your city has to often. Sometimes many of us don't have the luxury of spending a decent amount of time to explore the area.

Jackie, you make a good point about "tourist traps"! LOL, I frequent them all the time when I am a tourist!:D

Union Oyster House is probably your best best, also a bit of history there. One other thing; right across the street from it is the Holocaust Memorial for Boston. It is a very moving thing, only takes about 10-15 mins to go thru it. I think it is pretty cool.

Good Luck!

One other thing re: pastry shops. Mike's Pastry in the North End is world famous (ok, maybe not "world" famous but certainly New England famous) for their Cannolli's. Give it a shot! Plus it is fun!

Actually, Boston Magazine rates Caffe Paradiso's cannoli as Best of Boston.(255 Hanover Street, next door to one of the big two) A real local's hangout, esp. for soccer fans, and the staff is terrific.

http://caffeparadiso.com/all-about/

Big Secret (told to me by someone employed at one of the places mentioned): There are only a couple of providers of cannoli shells and a couple for filling, so most places, even the Big Two (Mike's and Modern) use their (same) products. Shhhhhhhhh!

Actually, Boston Magazine rates Caffe Paradiso's cannoli as Best of Boston.(255 Hanover Street, next door to one of the big two) A real local's hangout, esp. for soccer fans, and the staff is terrific.

http://caffeparadiso.com/all-about/

Big Secret (told to me by someone employed at one of the places mentioned): There are only a couple of providers of cannoli shells and a couple for filling, so most places, even the Big Two (Mike's and Modern) use their (same) products. Shhhhhhhhh!

Mi Scuzze, Mi Scuzze!:rolleyes: Do you think you can get a bad cannolli in the North End?? Just trying to help our friends from Florida.

Do you think you can get a bad cannolli in the North End??

Well, to some a cannoli by any other name......

It's (1) "L" btw.

Even in the North End, some places pre-fill cannoli (which can make the shell soggy). It takes time to hand fill them for each individual order.

Maybe a tourist with nothing to compare wouldn't be able to tell the difference between various brands of shells and fillings, but while based in personal preference, there are distinct differences that make one brand preferable to the others.

And I myself would prefer to have my cannoli sitting down comfortably and accompanied by a well-made macchiato or expresso bought by an attentive server, such as at Caffe Paradiso, than stand in the usual long line at the "big two" for take-out that will be soggy before I have a chance to sink my teeth into one.

Maybe a tourist with nothing to compare wouldn't be able to tell the difference between various brands of shells and fillings

What has being a tourist got to do with knowing if it's a good cannoli or not???? We are Italian ..... and know a good cannoli!!

What has being a tourist got to do with knowing if it's a good cannoli or not???? We are Italian ..... and know a good cannoli!!

Nothing to do solely with being a tourist. Lots to do with being one who's never tasted cannoli.

So you're the perfect ones to do a comparison taste test among Mike's Pastry, Modern Pastry (The Big 2) and Caffe Paradiso and let us know whose is more like grandma used to make.

Nothing to do solely with being a tourist. Lots to do with being one who's never tasted cannoli.

So you're the perfect ones to do a comparison taste test among Mike's Pastry, Modern Pastry (The Big 2) and Caffe Paradiso and let us know whose is more like grandma used to make.

Oooh a cannoli crawl :D

Archived