Ombre hair

Ellusionz

Ok, so for you hair aficionados, I'll be heading out on my cruise in about two weeks and debating on what to do with my hair this go around. I'm a bit of a slacker on doing my hair (get it done about 3 times a year at most) but not very adventurous either as I've been burned by bad cuts. I was going to try short hair again but I talked myself out of it already ;)

What I'm trying to decide is what type of highlights to do. I usually do those normal natural streaks but while searching pics online I saw something called Ombre highlights. VERY difficult to find it done on my hair color (auburn) that looks natural. So tell me what you think, I'm including a picture of me (the Disney Magic pirate costume) that you can get a good idea of my hair color and the best one I could find online of what it might turn out like tho it might be a bit extreme? Discuss? :)

ombre-hair_large.jpg.b768729cceec2c220e9bb452b59c1f2d.jpg

1146758018_magic3.jpg.d339d80bfeef429f58bc77f447cb81f8.jpg

I'm not a fan of the look either; it may be age as I am 67. I don't like a lot of the highlights people get either; most of them make the hair look striped; or, maybe that is the look they are going for. I especially don't like the light on top, dark on the bottom trend.

I do like some of the more natural highlights, if they don't make hair look brassy or gray.

Please - no...

I am young, and an industry professional - and this whole "ombre" trend is ridiculous regarding hair. It doesn't look good on anyone. The "theory" of it is wonderful and works well on fabric...

ombre.jpg

The actual definition of the word comes from the late 1800s

"having colors or tones that shade into each other —used especially of fabrics in which the color is graduated from light to dark"

There is no professional in the supreme echelons of Hollywood or New York stylists that I have even seen able to pull it off successfully.

Don't do it!

If you want anything fun or different (based on your pirate picture there)...

Take a few inches off the bottom of your hair!

You've got great hair that would benefit all around from a sassy "super long bob" cut about a few inches below your shoulders.

It would swing and move and look great on you.

No need for a drastic color change in any way here.

Trim and shape up the bottom, and you will feel a tremendous change, even though it's not that drastic in a few inches here or there.

My super professional two cents - take it or leave it.:D:p;)

I have to say I'm not a fan of any of the ombre trends (clothes/hair/whatever) lol I agree that it looks like someone was too lazy to touch up their roots. I think your auburn hair looks great the way it is. I know how it is to want a change though. :) I thought of cutting mine too but talked myself out of it. Embrace the beauty of your natural hair color! You look great!

This is just pure conjecture on my part, but the model in the picture looks as if she has added hair pieces underneath her natural hair. The hair extensions are one color and her shorter natural hair above is another.

You could try something like that. Use hair extensions in a color that blends with your own. That way if it looks awful or contrived or like a Halloween outfit, then no harm done, except the cost of the extensions.

Also, I'm not sure--were you thinking of attempting the ombre color on your ow? I would definitely seek out a very experienced colorist, if you decide to try the trendy ombre look.

Thanks for all the great suggestions :) I guess I'll just stick with the regular highlights. Getting the "city lights" deal at Hair Cuttery before vacay starts (includes the cut, style, highlights and keritine treatment). That pic was a couple years old so my hairs a few inches longer, thinking of letting it stay long since I always end up doing it just below shoulder length. I'll check out that extension thing tho I'm a bit on the lazy side so anything more than washing and tying it up...prolly won't get done LOL.

Thanks for all the great suggestions :) I guess I'll just stick with the regular highlights. Getting the "city lights" deal at Hair Cuttery before vacay starts (includes the cut, style, highlights and keritine treatment). That pic was a couple years old so my hairs a few inches longer, thinking of letting it stay long since I always end up doing it just below shoulder length. I'll check out that extension thing tho I'm a bit on the lazy side so anything more than washing and tying it up...prolly won't get done LOL.

I'm with you on the lazy thing. I prefer my hair long because it's easier to wash and go. My hair is almost at the halfway down my back point. When it dries naturally it's got a bit of wave and looks nice. When it's shorter than shoulder length it gets wild and curly if I don't blow dry/flat iron. That's too much! Anyways, I'm sure whatever you have done will look great! I consider myself lucky these days (I used to hate this). I have natural highlights. I have medium brown hair but it has natural subtle lighter areas and reddish areas. Saves money and time not needing dye. :)

Language on this link: http://www.cydangiebeauty.com/2012/07/hair-dresser-****ed-up-my-hair-ombre-my.html

:o

Here is another one. http://pinstrosity.blogspot.com/2013/02/ombre-hair-catastrophe.html

I'd only do it if I REALLY trusted the person, and even then I'm not sure. I think the trend is on it's way out. I think for every one that looks interesting, there are 10 that don't turn out!

OK, I saw Daisy Fuentes on TV a few weeks ago and I thought she was growing out a few bad haircoloring sessions. It must have been hombre haircoloring :rolleyes:

I'm always glad that I don't succumb to fads, there are pictures taken that will last for year. I'm sure there are a few blackmail photos of me, none of us can completely get through life without embarrassing moments in print. OK, Katherine Hepburn and Audrey Hepburn both escaped.

OK, I saw Daisy Fuentes on TV a few weeks ago and I thought she was growing out a few bad haircoloring sessions. It must have been hombre haircoloring :rolleyes:

I'm always glad that I don't succumb to fads, there are pictures taken that will last for year. I'm sure there are a few blackmail photos of me, none of us can completely get through life without embarrassing moments in print. OK, Katherine Hepburn and Audrey Hepburn both escaped.

I did spell ombre :rolleyes:

My Kindle Fire "corrected" my spelling. My Ipod does that as well.

My 19 year old daughter has exactly the same as the photo, when she told what she was having done I quite like the idea, I think the colour contrast looked nice on the dark hair photos she showed me, but as I said her hair is dark with red tones and the bottom lighter half came out very ginger, it's ok but not as nice as she thought it was going to be, plus the a week later I read in a magazine the ombré is out lol.

Janec16

So...kind of like those hi-low dresses, out of style a couple months after showing up?

One can never accuse me of being current with fashion trends. I just prefer classic, whether it is hair, clothing, music, etc... (classic rock, that is :))

I alway think high fashion is a tricky thing, you can think yourself the bees knees in an outfit, and six months later see a photo of yourself and cringe with embarrassment lol.

Janec16

well I'm not a professional but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. They style is neither here nor there for me but if I were to do it I would definately want to see someone else the stylist had done because it could definately go bad. I do like it tons better then the blond with black streaks. Aweful!

well I'm not a professional but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. They style is neither here nor there for me but if I were to do it I would definately want to see someone else the stylist had done because it could definately go bad. I do like it tons better then the blond with black streaks. Aweful!

Or black (or brown) with blond streaks. There's good highlighting...then there's horrid highlighting. A good colorist wouldn't allow the client to leave the salon with some of the terrible highlighting jobs I have seen in public. Hair coloring is a specialty talent, not all hair stylists can do it well. Just like hair cutting and manicuring and blow drying and everything else done in a salon.

It's funny, the day after reading this thread I saw a pic of some celeb in a magazine with ombre hair. My first thought was good grief she should have washed her hair before a red carpet event. Then I realized it was the way it was colored. The darker on top made it look flat and greasy. But I guess it could depend on what colors you use and how good the stylist is. My hair is longer than shoulder length and I'm cheap so I go to the cheap place that doesn't even take appointments and tell them to trim 1/4 an inch and I'm good to go. LOL So that tells you what I know about style. :D

Food for thought:). Ombre' is french for the pale to dark graduation of color. Ombre hair' is anti-aging- mimics the hair color of childhood. Ombre' hair is fun and on trend "beachy" or "faded" Ombre' hair can be kept natural around the face and as light as light as you dare on the ends.

Ombre' hair is a color change alternative-contrast with a different perspective. Ombre" hair is a relaxed attitude-imperfection on purpose. Ombre' hair color palcement can soften harsh facial angles. Ombre' hair doesn't need regular touch-ups and can be less time consuming for the client and the stylist. Ombre' hair can be toned for a different look each appointment. Ombre' hair cant be high contrast or subtle contrast. Ombre hair can be done on any length with different effects. Ombre hair can be done all over the head or just in the top layer. Ombre'hair can be low maintence but the fragile ends still need moisture heat protection from products. Ombre' is versatile for any existing base.

I can't express how impotent it is to find the right stylist that works for you and is educated in the service that you would like especially when it comes to color it may cost you a few more dollars but well worth it in the end. Hair color and hair cutting (styling) is ever changing so having a Hair professional that keeps up on the latest trends is so important. Ok I will shut up now :D and YES I am a New York State Professional Hair Stylist and Yes I am also trained in the Ombre' technique. I love my job and I never fly by the seat of my pants but many hair stylist do If I don't know how to do something im not going to do it on one of my potential long term costumers that's for shore . Finding the right one to fit your personal needs can be a challenge some times. Good luck and any choice you make will be the right one you :)

Archived