Regent Explorer or ???

Woody bailey

Greetings to all,

My wife and I will celebrate our 25th anni. this year and are considering upping our cruise game from a one week(4 times Princess) to a two week all inclusive. At first I jumped at the new Regent Seven Seas Explorer, but it seems Regent as a whole hasn't faired well with critics here lately. My hope would be someone can make a Regent choice sound great again. Any other suggestions or cruise line recommendations appreciated. Our window is December. Also, does anyone know if scuba diving is included in their free excursion packages?. Spa?. If not, are they pricey?. Any and all responses appreciated.

I seriously doubt that scuba diving is included. Usually it;s the more basic tours. And please do not be fooled into thinking those excursions are free. You are paying for them in the form of higher fares. They are included. not free.

I guess with the ever increasing fares RSSC is including more than in the past as "free".

For example on the 2 week Dec 4, 2016 SS Explorer included are:

Aruba 2 tank scuba dive

St. Kitts SNUBA

Otherwise if you want water excursions you are looking at kayaking, snorkeling, "beach breaks".

Other examples of included tours are: Explore / Discover [insert destination] - usually a bus tour type thing, sometimes caramaran sailing, tours of local liquor factories, etc.

If you go to the RSSC website, for any cruise in which you are interested you can see the currently planned / included shorex. Just make certain to un-click the "Regent Choice" box at the top so you dont think the "extra charge" excursions are "free".

if previously you were on Princess i recommend to try a Crystal

i did visit a Regent once and was not convinced and i do not intend to book Regent at all ( very single unfriendly )

some friends told me it is a more expensive and of course all inclusive version of Oceania .

choice is free and up to you.

• 2 weeks later...

While I may be prejudiced, I would select Regent's Explorer over any ship that currently exists (or, in the case of the Explorer, "almost exists":-) Every luxury cruise line has their pluses and minuses. Regent has included excursions that many people do not care for, Seabourn has smoking on balconies and Crystal does not have "true" open seating.

We have sailed Regent, Silversea and Oceania (not a luxury cruise line but very close). Based on our own requirements for a cruise, we find Regent to be our number one choice and Silversea is our second choice. All luxury cruise lines have excellent service but some (Crystal's current ships in particular) have suites that are too small which does not work for us. If Seabourn changed their smoking policy, we would consider them and, when Crystal's new ships are launched that have open seating, they will be under consideration as well.

Suggest that you do more research in order to find which luxury cruise line meets most or all of your criteria.

If you were ok with Princess, but want to go "up" a bit, consider rethinking the "all-inclusive" requirement. Figure out where you are going, and what likely excursions you would do and their cost if you had to PAY separately, compared with the base cost on Regent (or SS, or SB). Are you a big alcohol drinker? If not, figure out what you would pay for what you DO drink.

In between Princess and the luxury lines in cost is Azamara, Oceania, Celebrity, or Holland America -- not all-inclusive, but still very nice and has advantages of a bigger ship (e.g., check out Neptune Suite on Holland America). There are bigger shows (if they are important to you), more stability in windy seas, more restaurant selections. Or you could get a super-luxury suite on Princess.

Silver Sea (SS) treated DH and me well as newbies in 2011 in a base suite, pampered and catered to, though we still landed up paying extra for some better wines, and spent a lot on excursions. Later we did 3 more trips with them, last in 2014, and would consider them again. SS now offers some included excursions, but many of the good ones are still "pay extra", and you have to book far ahead of time to not miss out on those.

Regent did not treat DH and me in a concierge suite as well as SS did as newbies in a base suite, and I also had a major problem with the ship's doctor's attitude which management responded poorly to after the cruise when I filed a 7-page complaint. I also did not think the food was as good as on SS but that may have changed since 2012. However, I LOVED their comfortable beds, sink-into furniture, and also the fact that it was so EASY to get assistance with international airfare with business class upgrades through Regent (SS does not typically offer much help with discounted airfare for business class, always a headache for us booking airfare independently).

My favorite of the English-language lines so far (limited experience compared with many here) has been SB, (2 more cruises booked) because of the food and service and very drinkable included wines (except I did not like the hard beds and hard couches) but excursions are extra and you have to book your own airfare if you are seeking discounts. They also may have "marina days" for the aquatically inclined which you seem to be.

It sounds as though you are considering a warm weather beach type cruise. You might look at Windstar. We have friends who travel extensively using only the highest level of acomodations and they absolutely swear by Windstar for their yearly beach break. I have seen the trip photos and it does look heavenly.

• 3 weeks later...

We have sailed with all the above on more than one cruise, including 40 days with Regent and 71 days with Seabourn. There is very little difference in the quality of service or cabin layout with any of these cruise lines. Personally we think the food is far better on Silverseas. The biggest issue we have is the smoking policy of Seabourn. They allow smoking of cigars and cigarettes on private balconies, three of the open deck areas and in the Observation Lounge. Regent and Silverseas has a very good smoking policy with a designated smoking room. The cabin sizes on Crystal are smaller than the other three cruise lines.

We really enjoyed our 40 day cruise with Regent and wouldn't hesitate to sail with them again.

Greetings to all,

At first I jumped at the new Regent Seven Seas Explorer, but it seems Regent as a whole hasn't faired well with critics here lately.

I take reviews with a grin of salt. Some are written by disgruntled passengers. I have seen reviews of ships and comments on cc where the same passengers spent weeks maligning a ship. At the same time, there were satisfied passengers on the exact same cruises. Those don't constantly come back to repeat their positive view.

If you like Vegas you'll like Regent Explorer. If you like Milan you'll prefer Seabourn. jmo.

A rather harsh comment about a ship that is not even completed yet. Assuming the comparison of Regent to Las Vegas has to do with "glitz"? Over the years some people complain that Regent's décor is too plain/neutral. The only part of the new Explorer that looks glitzy (from design photos rather than real photos) is the entrance.

Seabourn, from what I've read, is a completely different concept (unlike Regent and Silversea that are somewhat similar). In any case, I would not put down any luxury cruise line but do point out facts - such as the fact that Seabourn has a smoking policy that many have a problem with, Crystal suites tend to be small on their existing ships, some passengers do not like Regent's included excursions and some do not like the dress code on Silversea.

Luxury cruise lines are not "one line fits all", we have choices and I do recommend researching the cruise lines you are considering before booking and most I'm importantly, find a good TA that can help (one that regularly books cruises on luxury lines).

The biggest issue we have is the smoking policy of Seabourn. They allow smoking of cigars and cigarettes on private balconies, three of the open deck areas and in the Observation Lounge.

Cigar smoking isn't permitted anywhere on the Seabourn ships except the designated smoking area outside of Seabourn Square.

I do hope that guests on your cruise weren't being allowed to smoke cigars elsewhere on the ship as the smoking policy is quite clear on this.

TC2,

I wasn't putting down Regent. Many people prefer Vegas to Milan. And I said it was jmo. I happen to find the photos I've seen of the Explorer very bling-y. You may not.

Sorry - I took your comment wrong. Still, haven't found most of the Explorer to be "very bling-y" (like that spelling:-). I'll be on the Explorer this summer and will post pictures on the Regent board (along with comments, notes on the new dining venues, suites, etc.) Stay tuned:)

Edited by Travelcat2

Sorry - I took your comment wrong. Still, haven't found most of the Explorer to be "very bling-y" (like that spelling:-). I'll be on the Explorer this summer and will post pictures on the Regent board (along with comments, notes on the new dining venues, suites, etc.) Stay tuned:)

I look forward to your review.

I'm sure it will be a beautiful ship.

• 2 months later...

This thread is getting rather old but want to comment on our Explorer Christening cruise that we were on from July 12 - 20. It is truly an amazing ship - it exceed all of our very high expectations. There was so much interest in the Explorer that the owner of Silversea was onboard for dinner and the Christening (hope he got some ideas for their new ship:-)

As much as I was against included excursions, it is about time that all of us got over it (IMHO). Yes - it is included in the fare, however, Regent is worth the $$$ with or without included excursions. The changes on the Explorer (restaurants, main dining room menu) will be rolled out to the new ships as they as refurbished (Voyager, for instance, will be refurbished around October of this year). A lot of the interior of the ships will be redone and should look almost as great as the Explorer.

I truly believe that the Explorer does not have competition in the luxury market at this time. It may in the future but not now.