Taking alcohol on board

stevet2607

Can anyone advise on the rules or acceptability of taking drink on board. We plan to take some bubbly to drink on sailaways and maybe some spirits and wine, all to be drunk in our cabin. We last sailed P&O 5 years ago and it wasn't a problem then, thanks

We too like to take a selection of drinks to enjoy in our cabin and had no problem doing so on our last cruise in September. We left from Southampton so used a mini wheelie case to take it on board as hand luggage. The cabin steward was kind enough to supply the neccessary glasses and daily ice and lemon. Ventura was also doing some excellent duty free deals which I am ashamed to say we enjoyed very much!

Happy cruising.

We have never had problems taking anything onboard, so far.

However, I think they have a clause stating that they reserve the right to remove alcohol from you.

2011 Ventura and Adonia both had duty free shops selling alcohol and cigarettes at very good prices. Very popular, judging by the queues!!

Ventura had a wider select.

Tom

You certainly may take alcohol on board with you. As has been said P&O reserve the right to take alcohol from passengers if they deem it necessary so if someone tried to board who was obviously worse for wear they would have any alcohol they were carrying taken from them. We have always taken a few bottles in our carry-on case with no problems. The price of spirits onboard is very reasonable and you can order these from your cabin steward - you can then drink them in your cabin.

The only restriction is that if you take your own wine onboard and wish to drink it in any of the restaurants then you will have to pay corkage, but you may drink it in your cabin with no problem.

The price of spirits onboard is very reasonable and you can order these from your cabin steward - you can then drink them in your cabin.

Does this apply to all P & O ships. We are on the Oceana and would like to purchase spirits from the duty free shop to drink in our cabin.

All ships the same. Spirits are cheap onboard ar dutyfree proces. If you want to drink wine or champagne in your cabin take a few bottles onboard yourself. Wine is restaurant prices to buy onboard and isn't duty free (£5 a glass/ £13+ a bottle) We take a winebox for balcony drinking as its easy to transport, unbreakable and fits in the fridge.

At the present time both Ventura and Azura now have Duty Free shops for Booze. Think they are going to bring this in fleet wide.

There is no need to take your own as the prices are cheaper than some Supermarkets.

Things like Gordons Gin at £10 per litre bottle.

Three Barrels Brandy at £8 per litre bottle.

Teachers Whisky at £8 per litre bottle.

So why bother to carry it.

We have just sailed on Azura and for those who have been on her before, if you remember the small shop in the Atrium that sold glass and such, well they have changed this into a Duty Free Booze and Tobacco shop.

You can still buy the mixers from your Cabin Steward and you still get 12 for the price of 9, think they were £7.65 for 12. You choose which you want, Tonic, Coke, Lemonade etc.

Leesure#

''At the present time both Ventura and Azura now have Duty Free shops for Booze''

Would you like to clarify 'booze' to just bottles of Spirits? Or are you saying now wine and champagne are duty free prices.?

As I clearly said before your post, SPIRITS are yes, duty free prices Wine and champagne are not cheap onboard...So telling the thread writer not to bother is a bit misleading.... the 'shop' is a table in the atrium isn't it?

Thanks for all the replies. I hadn't realised that corkage in the restaurants was an option? Does anyone know the cost?

Last I read, it was £10 a bottle, so unless you are going to be drinking really good wine its not worth bringing your own into the restaurant...

Talking about boxed wine, just purchased 2 x 2 litre casks of white wine to take on board Arcadia in a couple of weeks. The 2 litre cask fits nicely in the cabin fridge. We can always get more before we leave Fremantle, our last Aussie port before we hit Asia enroute to Africa and Southampton on 27 April.

TIP: For those visiting Australia the 2 litre casks are generally bottle quality wines. I buy Banrock Station 2 litre casks it is the same wine they put in their bottles, I have been to their winery and seen it packed and bottled.

Leesure#

''At the present time both Ventura and Azura now have Duty Free shops for Booze''

Would you like to clarify 'booze' to just bottles of Spirits? Or are you saying now wine and champagne are duty free prices.?

As I clearly said before your post, SPIRITS are yes, duty free prices Wine and champagne are not cheap onboard...So telling the thread writer not to bother is a bit misleading.... the 'shop' is a table in the atrium isn't it?

Yes I will clarify "Booze" I did mean Spirits, but being as though you are saying I am misleading the writer then so are you.

I did say in my post that they now have a shop it is NOT a table in the atrium.

Yes I will clarify "Booze" I did mean Spirits, but being as though you are saying I am misleading the writer then so are you.

I did say in my post that they now have a shop it is NOT a table in the atrium.

Thanks for clarifying 'booze' as just bottles of spirits.

Where is this shop out of interest? I can't remember seeing it on Ventura in March. Thanks.

When we were on Ventura middle of August there was most definitely a shop. Suggest contacting P & O who I am sure will be pleased to advise of the exact location, unfortunately I know it was there as we were in it, but can't remember exact location.

When we were on Adonia at Xmas there was also duty free in a shop, however think it was at one end of the gift shop.

So far as I remember there was tobacco products, spirits and champagne.

Taking casks on board is fine if you are on a cruise from Southampton.

Unfortuneately on a fly cruise this would use up valuable luggage allowance.

On Adonia at Xmas there were offers most days, think lunchtime where they offered va 125ml glass of wine for £2.50.

In general bottles of wine were reasonably priced, if you compare to prices when you are out for a meal at home.

At Easter 2011 we were on a Princess cruise. Wine there was minimum $25 + 15%.

Hi hope im putting this in the right place.I ve only just joined!Can anyone tell me if we can purchase duty free spirits on Ventura.We are only going across to Belgium from Southampton.I was wondering if its the same rule as flying within the E U where its no duty free.Thanks for any replies

Having done two long cruises with P&O UK - I think that the beer prices are quite reasonable - no more expensive than a pub anywhere in the UK. Spirits prices (by the bottle) are VERY inexpensive - basically duty free. Things like single malt whiskies at the bar are the cheapest I have come across in any other cruisline we have been on -- BUT wine is EXPENSIVE. Probably no more expensive than any other cruiseline, but for me (as an Aussie) , the wine prices hurt!! (compared to what I am accustomed to at home :rolleyes:)

Barry

Having done two long cruises with P&O UK - I think that the beer prices are quite reasonable - no more expensive than a pub anywhere in the UK. Spirits prices (by the bottle) are VERY inexpensive - basically duty free. Things like single malt whiskies at the bar are the cheapest I have come across in any other cruisline we have been on -- BUT wine is EXPENSIVE. Probably no more expensive than any other cruiseline, but for me (as an Aussie) , the wine prices hurt!! (compared to what I am accustomed to at home :rolleyes:)

Barry

G'day Baz, heard current prices of around £10 a bottle (AU$15) for basic spirits, scotch, brandy, gin, rum etc on P& O UK. Purchase at shop on board and consumable on board, well to be correct, in your cabin.

As for wine prices, no matter what the Line, they really get you on wine prices, even on P&O UK, seen their price list, just a little cheaper than Princess, but not by much. No 15% gratuity though!

G'day Baz, heard current prices of around £10 a bottle (AU$15) for basic spirits, scotch, brandy, gin, rum etc on P& O UK. Purchase at shop on board and consumable on board, well to be correct, in your cabin.

As for wine prices, no matter what the Line, they really get you on wine prices, even on P&O UK, seen their price list, just a little cheaper than Princess, but not by much. No 15% gratuity though!

A friend of ours is now on Oriana - draft bitter is now 3 UKP per pint - was 2.60UKP 12 months ago - but our dollar has improved a LOT since then so it is still quite reasonable - less than $5 per pint - can't buy it here for that price - paid $4.50 for 350 ml schooner yesterday!!

The only thing he is disappointed about is that we had a "happy hour" in Lord's tavern and beer was 1.30 UKP per pint. This didn't happen when we returned home on Arcadia and the happy hour is not now available on Oriana.

Barry

Thanks for clarifying 'booze' as just bottles of spirits.

Where is this shop out of interest? I can't remember seeing it on Ventura in March. Thanks.

Hi Sue,

The shop is where the internet room was. In the corner on the opposite the coffers shop. Or at least that was where I was told it was going to be on Azura. And it was said to be in the same place on Ventura. Remember this is now run by Hardings as are the other shops.

Gan Canny

Dai

A friend of ours is now on Oriana - draft bitter is now 3 UKP per pint - was 2.60UKP 12 months ago - but our dollar has improved a LOT since then so it is still quite reasonable - less than $5 per pint - can't buy it here for that price - paid $4.50 for 350 ml schooner yesterday!!

The only thing he is disappointed about is that we had a "happy hour" in Lord's tavern and beer was 1.30 UKP per pint. This didn't happen when we returned home on Arcadia and the happy hour is not now available on Oriana.

Barry

Thanks for that Barry, I am not a beer drinker these GF days, but like a cider or three on a hot day. P&O stock Magners and Strongbow ciders and there are plenty of hot days ahead on Arcadia. When I was on Ruby Princess and Coral Princess Oct/Nov last year, the bar waiters called me Mr Strongbow, they reckoned I was the only person on board drinking the stuff! They would have the bottle on the tray before I even sat down.

Re wine in MDR, apparently P&O serves half litre carafes of house vino for a resaonable price. Do us.

Les

I used to drink the house red at night in the MDR - I think it was 4 UKP per large glass (250 Ml).

Now - listen to me carefully!!! DO NOT !! --I repeat -- DO NOT drink the white wine that they give out at the Captains Cocktails receptions!!! :rolleyes:

Barry

Les

I used to drink the house red at night in the MDR - I think it was 4 UKP per large glass (250 Ml).

Now - listen to me carefully!!! DO NOT !! --I repeat -- DO NOT drink the white wine that they give out at the Captains Cocktails receptions!!! :rolleyes:

Barry

Thanks Barry, the large flower vase of red in the MDR and no drinking the metho disguised as white wine at the Captain's turnout. LOL. According to P&O wine list the 'house wine' is from Calfornia. Well post cruise we will be going to San Francisco for 8 nights, including a Napa Valley wine tour.

Message received and understood.

Archived