Tipping in NZ and Australia

Dmgmd50

We tip whenever someone performs a service for us. If the bellman loads the cases onto the cart, takes them up to the room and then takes them off the cart we usually tip $5 (our smallest currency note).

Even a $2 coin would be an okay tip, since it's not expected.

There's no need to tip.

Just a smile and a "Thank you" are all that's needed.

I must admit that, in some hotels that host a lot of American visitors, the helper will not be surprised to receive a tip - they've been conditioned to that by Americans who feel they have to tip.

We'd really prefer not to turn our countries into ones with a tipping culture. :)

No tip required or expected but won't be refused if you offer one at your discretion. I know it makes our US visitors very uncomfortable not to tip as its so ingrained in their culture back home but it's really not necessary here and you won't be accused of "stiffing the stafff" if you follow the local custom and don't tip. Obviously, if you receive service above and beyond then feel free to give a (modest) tip but don't feel obliged to. You certainly won't feel under any pressure to do so and long may that last.

In Australia hospitality and restaurant staff are paid wages that they can live on without requiring tips to supplement a low income. So we ONLY tip in Australia for exceptional service.

Unless you are staying at the RITZ in Australia you will be checked in given your door keys and pointed towards the lifts . Your bags will only be delivered to your room if you request it or are aged or infirm .

Bellmen aren't a common thing in Australian hotels unless you are staying at a high end five star hotel. And even then you often have to signal that you want their help. Most people take their own bags. The reception might ask if you would like your bags taken to the room but there wont be people standing at the taxi rank with luggage trolleys like I found common in the US.

As others have said you don't need to tip, but seeing as staff don't usually take your bags to your hotel room here a $5 tip would be happily accepted.

Tipping is not the norm or expected in Australia. If you receive exceptional service in a restaurant then we would tip a small amount but not standard practice to doorman or porters in hotels.

Totally your call.

I would have agreed that hospitality staff were well paid in Australia until I read this article of a few days ago. Sadly, some don't follow the rules to the disadvantage of those who aren't in a position to respond.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/underclass-of-restaurant-employees-in-sydney-grossly-underpaid-20130117-2cwoa.html

• 1 month later...
Does one usually tip bellmen when checking into a hotel? If so, how much is a reasonable amount? Two guests, four suitcases.

Simple answer - nobody tips in Australia. For example, we did several multiday extended land tours on our Australia trip that had as many Aussies on it as non-Aussies. We asked the Aussies how much tip was expected and they all told as that the guides did not expect a tip - even when we asked them "are you sure". The only people in the group that taped were some of the Americans. It was embarrassing.

DON

Bellmen aren't a common thing in Australian hotels unless you are staying at a high end five star hotel. And even then you often have to signal that you want their help. Most people take their own bags. The reception might ask if you would like your bags taken to the room but there wont be people standing at the taxi rank with luggage trolleys like I found common in the US.

As others have said you don't need to tip, but seeing as staff don't usually take your bags to your hotel room here a $5 tip would be happily accepted.

I've only seen this sort of thing once. When my husband and I used the limo service at the Langham for our wedding night. They knew we were coming and we had LOTS of stuff that we didn't want to be bothered with carrying ourselves.

Conversely, when we arrived at a cheaper hotel the night before, we used a luggage trolley. But we got it ourselves and brought it up to the room ourselves.

It's so simple - in no situation in NZ or Australia is it ever necessary or expected that you'll provide a tip.

A person carrying bags in a hotel does not expect nor require a tip.

Both countries have minimum wage legislation that provides very generous remuneration. There are also very generous mandatory employee benefits and unbelievably employee-favoring legislation protecting jobs. For example, in NZ the minimum legal wage is half of the average wage and it is index for inflation frequently. It is not legal to create jobs in these two countries that requires tips in order to create an adequate wage overall for the employee. This is a very different situation to that found in the US and it's this difference that drives the change in behavior expected of customers.

It's so simple - in no situation in NZ or Australia is it ever necessary or expected that you'll provide a tip.

A person carrying bags in a hotel does not expect nor require a tip.

Both countries have minimum wage legislation that provides very generous remuneration. There are also very generous mandatory employee benefits and unbelievably employee-favoring legislation protecting jobs. For example, in NZ the minimum legal wage is half of the average wage and it is index for inflation frequently. It is not legal to create jobs in these two countries that requires tips in order to create an adequate wage overall for the employee. This is a very different situation to that found in the US and it's this difference that drives the change in behavior expected of customers.

I am the OP. Had a great cruise. Stayed at the Sky Tower Grand in Auckland and Four Seasons in Sydney. Never tipped and no problem. Thanks for all your help.

Archived