Falmouth NOT Ready For Genesis!

When I was in Jamaica last week I headed over to Falmouth, Jamaica to see the new dock for Genesis! When I arrived there I was surprised to see a banana factory! My taxi driver explained to me that the dock is going to be placed where an old banana factory was and where an old dock for the factory was. The factory was from like the 1800’s and is made out of stone. Today the building has no roof but the walls are pretty much in tacked the dock is tipped over in the ocean and half off it is sunk! No progress on the dock has started but some building materials can be found laying next to the buildings! The town itself is in worse shape than the dock (speaking in terms of readiness for Genesis). Its very hard to describe but there's no way 5,400 people could fit in that town! It was very small and the roads were very tiny! On the other hand progress is being made like I said building material could be found near the new dock and a highway is being built near Falmouth! It's still a year away so were going to have to wait and see!

016.jpg

020-1.jpg

023-1.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

Hmm.. Interesting. Thanks for the info, VERY MUCH appriciated by the 99percent of us who have never heard of the town except in the press release. From what I read, the entire town was being built around cruise traffic, with a future possible resort planned.

Yes it is over a year away still, but considering the pictures there is still A LOT of work to get done, unless they aren't going to go there right away with the new ships (remember with the Freedom, it didn't go to the eastern caribbean for a year, so maybe the new class will only go East or skip jamaica all toeather for while).....???

I guess we will have to see.

Very interesting. I have to tell you, I've only been to Jamaica once, this year will be my second, and I am not a big fan either. I thought Falmouth would be nice since they are building a special dock just for the Genesis, but I guess not.

• 4 months later...

Until the press releases, I'd also never heard of Falmouth. We were in Ocho Rios last year and quite frankly I don't care if I ever go back to Jamaica. We didn't feel safe at all and everyone is just trying to "make a buck". I realize they are incredibly poor, but it was just not our thing. Based on these photos, Falmouth is a pit and it will take longer than a year to bring it to a modern cruise port. I think I would just stay on the ship since there is so much to do on Oasis!

This June, the day of the RCI press conference, we were on the road. So, minutes afterward Bonnie Voyager and I had about an hour-long "meeting" by phone. She caught me up on all the details RCI had released. We wondered what Falmouth would be like.

We speculated that there might be one stop on the routes where we hoped there wouldn't be much. We laughed that it would be fun if the route were a little dull so the temptation to be off the ship might be a little less!:) We want to just enjoy the ship. It's our destination on that trip.

So, this may be exactly what we were looking for.

getmap.aspx?key=B7C952AF69A69A8E1C4B

Falmouth

To the east of Montego Bay lies the sleepy town of Falmouth, the capital of the parish of Trelawny. It is hard to visualize it as the social capital of the island and one of its major commercial centres, which indeed it was in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries.

However, if you look for it you will find evidence of past splendour in the architecture, not only of the unusual old church and court or town house but of its many old Georgian dwelling houses.

Falmouth has its share of tourist attractions which should be on your list of places to visit.

Glistening Waters

At Rock, just beyond Falmouth is the amazing Luminous Lagoon. It is one of the most spectacular wonders to be found in Jamaica. Schedule your trip for after dark and take a boat ride from Glistening Waters Marina (954-3229). The water is luminous when agitated and you can see the outlines of fish and streaks of light as they swim around. Words fail to do it justice, so go see for yourselves.

Deep Sea Fishing Trips can also be arranged on one of the marina's fully equipped fishing boats.

King Pepper

A company which produces such spicy ( and with a name like King Pepper can you doubt it?) Jamaican favourites as Jerk Seasoning, Hot Pepper Sauce and Jerk Ketchup to name a few, welcomes visitors to its factory just beyond Falmouth on the road to Ocho Rios. Look for their sign on the deep bend just past the bridge.

Restaurants

It is also close inproximity to Montego Bay, and there are many activites to explore there. That is half the fun of planning trips! It kind of reminds me of Majahual, by Costa Maya, and how quaint & quiet & nice it was.

Falmouth is one of our ports of call on the Jewel for Christmas/New Year's of 09. When you Google Falmouth it says that the town is very much like Williamsburg! Huh?

I believe that you may have hit upon Falmouth, UK, which is located in Cornwall...............and would be very much like Williamsburg. :)

Rick

I believe that you may have hit upon Falmouth, UK, which is located in Cornwall...............and would be very much like Williamsburg. :)

Rick

I believe there is also a Falmouth in Virginia near Williamsburg, that could be what they are referring to?

Edited: Nope, I guess not. (Just read the above post from RCCL website.) I find it hard to believe it will be like Williamsburg, but I guess I'll probably find out at some point...

Falmouth-looks like a dump site right now. Thanks for posting the pictures. Anyone tried to see if there is a site that shows any plans for this area. Like a map where buildings will be placed. I guess anything is possible, depends on how fast the workers work, once they get going on this pier.:rolleyes:

whatever they're building at Falmouth will probably be just like Costa Maya. A fake port with cruiseline owned stores for you to stay safely in the 'compound' and spend more of your money with the cruiseline. So if you opt to stay on the ship, they got you...if you go ashore, they got you.

whatever they're building at Falmouth will probably be just like Costa Maya. A fake port with cruiseline owned stores for you to stay safely in the 'compound' and spend more of your money with the cruiseline. So if you opt to stay on the ship, they got you...if you go ashore, they got you.

Amen. We almost ran through "Costa Maya" (named by the cruiselines) coming and going on our way to Majahual. Felt like I was in any mall in anytown, USA. We spent a glorious day on a nice, quiet beach. Walking back through "Costa Maya" to board the ship was a bad ending to a great, relaxing day. ;)

As far as the Falmouth port...it hasn't been constructed. Why would anyone expect it to look like anything right now? Isn't everything a nothing until it's constructed?

Archived