Photo Tour - Great Day in Grand Turk

marysb

Awesome Pictures....

There is just something about this island that has made me want to go there...

I'm not sure what it is, but it looks amazing and the water it's color is beyond the most prettiest turquoise color I have ever seen... I can't wait to see it.

Do you happen to know the cost for the cabana is at Margaretville???

or the cost of the lounge chairs there?

So, around the whole port area, the water is rocky???

Is there an area that's not???

Thank you again for sharing with us your pictures...

Carolyn

I was looking at your beautiful pictures, and had a few more questions.

The pastel gift shops you had a picture of, do they do any bargaining there, or are their prices, set prices? I love the pastel colors.:) Yes, you can bargain.

Did the trolley tour take you to the Natuaral Arboretum, or did you find it another way? The trolley stops in front of the Arboretum as it's second stop. Library/prison area is the first stop. Right by the Aroretum is the museum. We did not have time for that, but the museum gift shop was very nice. Nice Grant turk souvenirs .... sea glass and sand jewellery, flavoured salts, soaps, etc.

Did the trolley tour take you to the Salina area where salt is made We drove by one of the Salinas (a water flooded field or shallow lake) and the driver explained how the salt was made.

?

glad you enjoyed the photos, Mary

• 2 weeks later...
Are the pastel gift shops downtown? Was the merchandise locally made or the same as what is offered at the cruise port?

Thanks!

We found the best places to shop were the shop at the museum ( all local items...flavoured salt, beach glass jewellery, soap, etc.) and the cruise terminal.

I have always loved my stops in Grand Turk. It is just the perfect beach and relaxation day. I have rented golf carts and gone over the entire island. I have just chilled out on the beach close to Margaritaville. The pool is awesome as well. The last time I was there. The pool got a little raunchy with some younger women ending up topless. Just something to keep in mind if you are going with children. I have also spent a day up by Jacks Shack. We had a great time up there hanging out with his dog. I cant remember the dogs name.

Where can you rent a golf cart? Price? My 70 year old dad might really like that idea. Thanks!

There is a booth just outside the cruise center. Although I hear the carts go fast now when a ship is in port. I am not sure if they can be reserved in advance. We just walked up and rented one. It was years ago that we rented the cart. There is a light house you can go to on the far end of the island. And a couple of deserted beaches to check out as well. We really enjoyed it. Recently we have just made Grand Turk a lazy beach day. But of course we are older now and we enjoy a few adult beverages while lounging on the beach. :)

• 1 month later...

I am curious. We just got back from there last month and enjoyed our time too.

I really like your pictures, but I have a question. You said you took a "trolley tour." For example, the picture of the very nice homes (2 or 3 of them that I seen), did the trolley stop for you to take a picture, or did you have a camera that zoomed in while the trolley was moving? I tried to take pictures (not on a trolley, but another tour), but they were hard to take while the tour bus was moving.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
So this snorkeling area.... it looks like there's a lot of fish around the area, but I don't see any coral or rocks where fish normally hang out. Is this true?

Do you know if this snorkeling runs all the way down the beach or gets any better? (Like past the cruise port area). :confused:

I didn't notice any major difference between the dock area and the area further down toward Jack's Shack. There is an area in between where you're not allowed to snorkel or free-dive because of boats and catamarans coming and going. I didn't go past that point.

As for the depth, it's about 15 feet down right by the rope (you should see an anchor on the bottom, and there WAS a cannon at one time), and about 40 ft deep in the drop-off, which is actually the man-made ship-dredge channel so cruise ships can dock.

Governor's Beach reportedly has good snorkeling, but I've never been. There's a commercial dock between it and Jack's Shack that you can't walk under, and that's as far as I went.

There is a booth just outside the cruise center. Although I hear the carts go fast now when a ship is in port. I am not sure if they can be reserved in advance. We just walked up and rented one. It was years ago that we rented the cart. There is a light house you can go to on the far end of the island. And a couple of deserted beaches to check out as well. We really enjoyed it. Recently we have just made Grand Turk a lazy beach day. But of course we are older now and we enjoy a few adult beverages while lounging on the beach. :)

Do a search for Nathan's Golf Carts; I think that's the outfitter at Grand Turk and he is well spoken-of on CruiseCritic.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know someone posted above that on Carnival the prices for the cabanas was 129. I have a reservation for a cabana currently, however sailing on Princess and my pricing is 169 for the day. So it seems whomever you are sailing with has different pricing.

I know your trolley was not on a Carnival cruise. However is there something comparable to it once you get into port that you can book there? I'm looking at the excursions on Carnival's page and I just want a little trip into town to go to the museum and the ones on Carnival are pretty expensive.

• 4 months later...
I know your trolley was not on a Carnival cruise. However is there something comparable to it once you get into port that you can book there? I'm looking at the excursions on Carnival's page and I just want a little trip into town to go to the museum and the ones on Carnival are pretty expensive.

yes, they were selling inexpensive trips into town right at the port.