Hiking Trails

obzhagen

Hi-

My wife and I will be in Bermuda for the first time in early October. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for some hikes on the island. My wife and I tend to like well marked hikes (bonus if there are some nice views) that are of moderate level difficulty (no climbing up sheer rock faces!). I noticed that their is a railway that is now a trail. Anyone tried that, and if so, how is it? Is it all open in the sun, dense forest or both? Thanks for any advice!

Regards,

Jon

It's not a long hike, but it is a bucket list mile with awesome views. The trail is from Horseshoe Bay to Warwick Long Bay. We are going to do this trail again soon. We are also going to do the trails around Blue Hole.

It's not a long hike, but it is a bucket list mile with awesome views. The trail is from Horseshoe Bay to Warwick Long Bay. We are going to do this trail again soon. We are also going to do the trails around Blue Hole.

Are you sure you are not confusing the trail from Horseshoe to Warwick with the rail trail? The rail trail is something completely different.;):)

OP, did you Google the rail trail. Lots of info here.

http://bermudarailway.net/now/trail.html

Are you sure you are not confusing the trail from Horseshoe to Warwick with the rail trail? The rail trail is something completely different.;):)

OP, did you Google the rail trail. Lots of info here.

http://bermudarailway.net/now/trail.html

The OP asked if anyone had any hiking suggestions...and also asked about the Rail Trail. (I have also been on the Rail Trail but really like the suggestion below better. )

Been on the trail from Horseshoe to Warwick several times. It's about a mile right along the coast. ImageUploadedByForums1438377671.377284.jpg.e50495e7f11344bc49ae33c6a3f07f8b.jpg the trail goes through South Shore Park. Not on the Rail Trail, not a long trail but the photo ops are amazing.

Edited by VonChap

The OP asked if anyone had any hiking suggestions...and also asked about the Rail Trail. (I have also been on the Rail Trail but really like the suggestion below better. )

Been on the trail from Horseshoe to Warwick several times. It's about a mile right along the coast. [ATTACH]357615[/ATTACH] the trail goes through South Shore Park. Not on the Rail Trail, not a long trail but the photo ops are amazing.

Just ignore my post since I'm the one confused. It pays to read a question more closely.:o:D

I've walked the Rail Trail in a couple of places. If you take public bus 7 and get off at Somerset Bridge (while there, see the "smallest drawbridge in the world") and walk to the police station at Somerset Village via the trail, you will walk through wide, sometimes grassy trails under shade for the most part, passing Scaur Hill Fort and Heydon Trust Chapel along the way. It's a very nice walk that we sometimes take on the way back from a morning at Horseshoe Bay. Because of the shade, it is doable even on a hot afternoon.

The Railway trail is awesome and is mostly set up for hiking. We did a horseback ride along part of it and passed through Warwick Long Bay on the ride. Some parts are easier walking than others, and some of the views are spectacular!

Highly recommended if you like walking. They have redone the bridges near Bailey's Bay

http://www.bermudarailway.net/now/trail.html

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Cyber Kat- Can you tell me how to did the trail on horseback? I have been trying to find a horseback excursion. Thank you :)

If you google Bermuda Horseback you will find five or six horseback ride places. I would guess from the description of the ride they used Spicelands which is in Warrick.

http://www.spicelandsriding.com/Trail%20Rides/TrailRides.html