Ship Maintenance Schedule

cruzn buckeye

Okay, so we know they are going to do some much needed maintenance on the ships. I am glad about that. Safety first :rolleyes: I would however, like to have them make public the schedule for the maintenance on the other ships.

If my week for cruising, is going to be the maintenance week for my ship, I would rather know now, so I can rebook on another ship. I don't have air yet, and am afraid to book it now.

Okay, so we know they are going to do some much needed maintenance on the ships. I am glad about that. Safety first :rolleyes: I would however, like to have them make public the schedule for the maintenance on the other ships.

If my week for cruising, is going to be the maintenance week for my ship, I would rather know now, so I can rebook on another ship. I don't have air yet, and am afraid to book it now.

I actually spoke with CCl a few days ago. They told me (for what that's worth) that they were all scheduled to go in. I asked about the Freedom and they said it was scheduled for November/December time frame. I believe if you call them they may give you that schedule. Worth a try!

I actually spoke with CCl a few days ago. They told me (for what that's worth) that they were all scheduled to go in. I asked about the Freedom and they said it was scheduled for November/December time frame. I believe if you call them they may give you that schedule. Worth a try!

Thanks! I will give them a call. If Carnival has the schedule, it would be nice if they would make it public.

I just spoke with Carnival and was told that Freedom is scheduled for nov 30 to dec 12. Nothing yet for Freedom or Victory. I asked them if that was the normal drydock time and they said yes. So I am not confortable believing this. Drydock times for the number of ships they have could go out for quite a while. And I thought they were stepping it up.

I don't do facebook, so if anyone here could check with JH on his page if these maintenance fixes are going to be done during the ships drydock or sooner , it would be appreciated. Please check the drydock schedule, if this is when it is happening and post it here. Thanks to all!

All ships are scheduled for drydock times, so they gave you the already scheduled drydock times.

We are scheduled on the Freedom 12/14/13. Having a "refreshed" ship sounds great, but hopefully they don't run into any problems during the dry dock. Has anyone ever heard of a situation when the ship was not placed back in service as scheduled, following the dry dock?

I just spoke with Carnival and was told that Freedom is scheduled for nov 30 to dec 12. Nothing yet for Freedom or Victory. I asked them if that was the normal drydock time and they said yes. So I am not confortable believing this. Drydock times for the number of ships they have could go out for quite a while. And I thought they were stepping it up.

I don't do facebook, so if anyone here could check with JH on his page if these maintenance fixes are going to be done during the ships drydock or sooner , it would be appreciated. Please check the drydock schedule, if this is when it is happening and post it here. Thanks to all!

John posted the following on his page:

The cruise line is making significant investments to enhance the level of operating redundancies and the scope of hotel services that can run on emergency power, and further improve each ship’s fire prevention, detection and suppression systems.

And quoted Gerry Cahill on the following:

“I would like to provide continued assurances that all of our vessels have fully effective safety systems, equipment and training in place. Additionally, our ships receive regular inspections from the United States Coast Guard and other regulatory authorities. The changes we are implementing are focused primarily on improvements to better support continued power and hotel services should unexpected issues arise...... Going forward, the review will focus on the balance of our fleet.

So it sounds like the improvements will take place during dry docks for the most part.

We are scheduled on the Freedom 12/14/13. Having a "refreshed" ship sounds great, but hopefully they don't run into any problems during the dry dock. Has anyone ever heard of a situation when the ship was not placed back in service as scheduled, following the dry dock?

Cost them a bloody fortune if they had to cancel cruise at last minute so everything they plan to do is ready for the ship when it pulls into drydock station.

Have heard that sometimes construction gets started the week before on the last cruise.

For that reason we wouldnt knowingly cruise the last one before drydock.

One of the reasons for the delay with Triumph and Destiny is that the last minute decision to make these improvements (not extra Maintenance to ships systems) necessitates ordering and awaiting delivery of the new parts. For other ships with the parts ordered ahead of time much of the work can be done whilst in port/under way and the rest during already scheduled dry dock time.

Has anyone heard any more about the Dream? I'm booked on the Dream in July.

Checked with my PVP since I'm on her in July. She said all the ship systems are working. They are only replacing the emergency generator which is a backup to the main system. Also, the Dream will be ready for this weekends departure scheduled for the 23rd.:)

I don't understand why they would book a cruise on ships scheduled for down time. As a Princess cruiser,(my wife is platinum) the ships down time is noted.

I don't understand why they would book a cruise on ships scheduled for down time. As a Princess cruiser,(my wife is platinum) the ships down time is noted.

There have been many times that cruises were booked, then drydock was announced and changes had to be made. What I mean is, we are booked on the Victory. She is scheduled for drydock next year. However, she has been having propulsion issues recently. So, for the cruise lines sake as well as the passengers, I would think they would bump up the drydocks on those ships that are already having issues. Before it becomes a bigger problem and they end up canceling more cruises. Just would really like to know ahead of time, instead of right before cruisetime. So many airfares have high change fees.

One of the reasons for the delay with Triumph and Destiny is that the last minute decision to make these improvements (not extra Maintenance to ships systems) necessitates ordering and awaiting delivery of the new parts. For other ships with the parts ordered ahead of time much of the work can be done whilst in port/under way and the rest during already scheduled dry dock time.

I understand what you are saying Duck. But since Ecstacy and Victory have already had propulsion issues, I am thnking they may change the drydock time to take care of it.

I understand what you are saying Duck. But since Ecstacy and Victory have already had propulsion issues, I am thnking they may change the drydock time to take care of it.

Not sure that Carnival knows at this point. Perhaps you ought to cruise on another ship that is not having any problems.

Not sure that Carnival knows at this point. Perhaps you ought to cruise on another ship that is not having any problems.

I was thinking that too... but I am looking at 6 people here, in three cabins. I don't think anyone really wants to change, but then again, I am sure they don't want to be on a ship that gets cancelled. I guess we will just have to wait a bit and see... but I do think they should get a plan, and announce the changes way ahead of time.

I spoke to my Carnival cruise rep and she said the Victory is scheduled for drydock and upgrades for 2013. I saw a thread on here that said it had been pushed back to 2014 & called her immediately to verify. (Part of the reason we booked the Victory was b/c it would have the upgrades.) Anyways, she said they just had a BIG meeting (this was prior to the issues w/the last 2 ships) and were not informed of any changes to the drydock schedule for the Victory.

Schedule:

YEAR*

SHIP NAME

Carnival Destiny

Carnival Legend

Carnival Pride

Carnival Victory

Carnival Elation

Carnival Freedom

Carnival Triumph

Carnival Valor

Carnival Magic

Carnival Paradise

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2011/10/05/what-is-the-fun-ship-2-0-implementation-schedule.aspx

This is a link to the schedule someone else posted on here. Of course it could have changed but I would think it would cost a fortune to do that so they would avoid it unless absolutely necessary.

Not maintenance , more like re- engineering / upgrade

Which with proper logistics could be done in the drydock cycle

Living in fl I thought I had power outage covered , a small generator which powered basic needs ( small amount of light , fridge , fan ) that was until I had no power for 7 days

Now I have a larger system , not a whole house but something more tolerable

Risk management

Hopefully I can clear some of this up.

A drydock is required of all ships that sail under all of the lines that follow SOLAS.

Basically a ship has to go into a drydock 2x in a 5 year period not to exceed 3 years. This is for routine inspections of areas that can not be easily, safely or visualized in general while the ship is in service. things such as fuel bunkers, waste treatment tanks, hull thickness, etc.

Durring this downtime, the line will usually take the oppurtunity to refresh renew or update/upgrade areas of the ship, that cannot be easily shutdown while the ship is in regular service, like changing main laundry rooms, or redoing the electric in a large number of cabins, etc. These items are usually put in a list by the Capt, Chief Engineer, and hotel staff during the weekly/daily inspections. The front office will take that list, hire a yard and contractors, and everything will be waiting when the ship leaves for drydock or in the drydock itself. All of this is preplanned. If your not sure on when a ship goes into a drydock, look at her schedule. If you see a 2-3 week gap in her schedule, theres a good chance that is a drydock.

Thats a typical drydock.

Now in the case of say the Legend, that has azipod issues.(Ill use her as an example not that this may be taking place) If the issue is above the waterline, in the engine room, the ship doesnt need a dry dock for that repair. usually spare parts can be brought onboard, and repiars made and no one would know the difference.

On the other hand, if say the issue is a bad seal or bearing below the water line, or the pod itself needs to replaced as a whole unit, then an unscheduled drydock may be warranted. Thats when cruises get canceled, because its an unexpected issue.

The maintance checks that Carnival is referring to, are above the waterline checks that can be done pretty much at anytime,(though Id hazzard a guess and say that there is a deadline to get it done) without the need for a drydock, unless something is found that warrants one.

Something else that comes into play is when was the last drydock and when is her next? If shes due that year, and the issue you can wait( IE the Disney magic took out some of her baldes on a prop when she hit a channel marker at Castaway Cay in Feb of 2010. Her drydock was scheduled for Sept that year and she could wait on the drydock.) then they usually will. If she just came out of 1, and the issue cant wait for the next, then a drydock will usually be found and cruises canceled. HAL has done that several times with a few of their ships that had azipod issues that needed to be replaced right away.

A drydock is required of all ships that sail under all of the lines that follow SOLAS.

Basically a ship has to go into a drydock 2x in a 5 year period not to exceed 3 years. This is for routine inspections of areas that can not be easily, safely or visualized in general while the ship is in service. things such as fuel bunkers, waste treatment tanks, hull thickness, etc.

Durring this downtime, the line will usually take the oppurtunity to refresh renew or update/upgrade areas of the ship, that cannot be easily shutdown while the ship is in regular service, like changing main laundry rooms, or redoing the electric in a large number of cabins, etc. These items are usually put in a list by the Capt, Chief Engineer, and hotel staff during the weekly/daily inspections. The front office will take that list, hire a yard and contractors, and everything will be waiting when the ship leaves for drydock or in the drydock itself. All of this is preplanned. If your not sure on when a ship goes into a drydock, look at her schedule. If you see a 2-3 week gap in her schedule, theres a good chance that is a drydock.

Thats a typical drydock.

Now in the case of say the Legend, that has azipod issues.(Ill use her as an example not that this may be taking place) If the issue is above the waterline, in the engine room, the ship doesnt need a dry dock for that repair. usually spare parts can be brought onboard, and repiars made and no one would know the difference.

On the other hand, if say the issue is a bad seal or bearing below the water line, or the pod itself needs to replaced as a whole unit, then an unscheduled drydock may be warranted. Thats when cruises get canceled, because its an unexpected issue.

The maintance checks that Carnival is referring to, are above the waterline checks that can be done pretty much at anytime,(though Id hazzard a guess and say that there is a deadline to get it done) without the need for a drydock, unless something is found that warrants one.

Something else that comes into play is when was the last drydock and when is her next? If shes due that year, and the issue you can wait( IE the Disney magic took out some of her baldes on a prop when she hit a channel marker at Castaway Cay in Feb of 2010. Her drydock was scheduled for Sept that year and she could wait on the drydock.) then they usually will. If she just came out of 1, and the issue cant wait for the next, then a drydock will usually be found and cruises canceled. HAL has done that several times with a few of their ships that had azipod issues that needed to be replaced right away.

As someone who is scheduled to be on Legend on May 4th you are not easing my anxiety in the least.

Thats a typical drydock.

Are you sure this is correct? Royal Caribbean only drydocks their ships every 5 years. If what you are saying is correct, do you know how they are able to do a drydock only every 5 years?

Archived