What to do for a day in Puerto Limon BESIDES an eco tour?

jeepers13

We'll be there for a day soon, for our twentieth anniversary. :)

We're just not in the mood for an eco tour but that seems to be all there is - canopy tram, rainforest excursion, botanical gardens, canal tour.

So what else is there to enjoy for a day? We love ruins but I'm not sure Costa RICO has any to offer. Maybe a tour of local cities or something off the beaten path?

Suggestions?

We'll be there for a day soon, for our twentieth anniversary. :)

Us too!

We're just not in the mood for an eco tour but that seems to be all there is - canopy tram, rainforest excursion, botanical gardens, canal tour.

So what else is there to enjoy for a day? We love ruins but I'm not sure Costa RICO has any to offer. Maybe a tour of local cities or something off the beaten path?

Suggestions?

I would be interested in alternatives too!

We did a sightseeing tour in Puerto Limon last year. They took us to the Tortuguero Canal and Playa Bonita, we were not able to swim, the guide said the weather was not good enough but we walked around and enjoy the place and the views. We received some tropical fruits (I don't remember the name, but they were good) and back to the pier we were able to take go to a local supermarket, we bought a delicious coffee. Our guide was very informative and nice, we felt very safe and happy with this tour. We bought it through shoreexcursioneer, maybe it's still available.

Us too!

I would be interested in alternatives too!

Us too! We will be there in early March.

I cannot seem to find anything that I am interested in. The last time we went, we anchored in Punta Arenas. There were a lot of tour vendors at the port. We took a $10 pp, (almost) full day van tour. It was really a fantastic value for the places the took us. Also included a fresh tropical fruit buffet at the hotel in the rain forest.

Edited by Arzeena

• 1 month later...

There's not much to do in Limon aside from eco-themed tours.

One alternative that you can look into is the beaches at Puerto Viejo, some of the best beaches in Costa Rica. Its a little less than an hour's drive from Limon. There's also some great restaurants owned by some European expats.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out Oscar Brown. He puts together tours per your interest, I have used and recommended him for years. Do a google search or tripadvisor and you will find his website. We have ziplined, eco tours, have eaten at breath taking views at a restaurant and shopped for local coffee, just let him know what you want to do.

We just used him on on Celebrity Infinity Panama Canal cruise in Puntarenas. We had an awesome day with him there too. Loved my monkey pictures he was determined I would get to see.