tour guides in Africa

regent traveller

Has anyone used private guides in Africa. We will be departing Cape Town on Feb. 27th for a BTB ending in Canary Islands. We have been to some of these countries before on a Regent cruise but did group excursions. So far I am trying to find guides through Viator private guides. We have used Viator before for small group guides all over the world and they were terrific. Their private guides are freelancers so any suggestions from people that have done private day tours would be appreciated.

We will be curious to see the responses you get. We'll be on the Accra-Las Palmas leg of the trip and have been doing research to find tours as well. The best luck I've had so far is a tour in Takoradi to the Elmina and Cape Coast Castles. If you're interested, I can check on pricing for four.

We're still definitely on the look for something in Abidjan and have no idea what to do in Praia.

We have a few more days than you for planning. We don't leave until the 6th when we'll have a quick safari stop in Kenya.

• 3 weeks later...
We will be curious to see the responses you get. We'll be on the Accra-Las Palmas leg of the trip and have been doing research to find tours as well. The best luck I've had so far is a tour in Takoradi to the Elmina and Cape Coast Castles. If you're interested, I can check on pricing for four.

We're still definitely on the look for something in Abidjan and have no idea what to do in Praia.

We have a few more days than you for planning. We don't leave until the 6th when we'll have a quick safari stop in Kenya.

We have used abercrombie and kent for our land excursions and are planning on using them for two safaris coming up in December. We are very happy with the service and quality of this tour company.

We will also be joining the Wind at Las Palmas going up to Barcelona. Please let us know how your Kenya safari went and what we should be looking for? We want to bring lots of camera gear and wonder where it will all fit.

In Dec 2013, we were in CapeTown for a few days prior to our Silver Wind cruise to Namibia and eastern South Africa (Port Elizabeth, Mosels Bay, Richards Bay, East London). Our limo driver from the airport (Darrol Lee) was terrific. We mentioned him at the Mount Nelson Hotel and they assisted us in hiring him as our private driver and guide for tours to the Winelands and western Cape. Find him on Trip Advisor. He even met us with a van for transport to V&A where we boarded the ship. We highly recommend him.

Edited by Conte Di Savoia

Hi Dusababy!

Well....we don't have any trips planned as of now. After spending 18+ hrs going to and coming back from South Africa we would like to do something closer to home but not sure what that will be. We are looking forward to spring here after a long harsh winter. There were crocuses in flower near our front door yesterday although today it slipped back into the 20's.

How about yourself?