cell phone straight talk ?

lnm6170

Is this different from a regular cell phone? Very expensive to use one on a ship so we lock ours away in safe for the cruise.

Can't wait to lock my cell phone in the safe. When I retire, I am locking my cell phones in Davy Jones' locker!!!!

To answer OP's question, I do not believe that any prepaid companies have contracts with the company that handles cell phones on the ship.

Can't wait to lock my cell phone in the safe. When I retire, I am locking my cell phones in Davy Jones' locker!!!!

To answer OP's question, I do not believe that any prepaid companies have contracts with the company that handles cell phones on the ship.

So that is what that means.

hello

has anyone used straight talk cell phone on a cruuise or in ports ? thinking of swithing to them but wanted to know if they will work ?

thanks

I would doubt they work as the cellular at sea has to be able to bill your account, and with prepaid ones I don't think you can, so I am pretty sure they won't work on the cruise ship. Not sure about in ports.

Not sure of very much, but this I am sure of. I had my iPhone set on the proper Airplane mode, but did NOT turn off my data roaming. So when I picked up my cell phone while bored, 5 different times, I got the message about my data costing me $$$,and would quickly turn it off again. I still don't really understand what I did. But I paid $130 for this lesson. my data roaming is turned off, and my cell phone will be locked in the safe during the trip also!!!

How many margaritas is that???? LOL

I believe cdaimon is right. Cellular At Sea, the company that provides the satellite link for cell phones on virtually all cruise ships, bills your carrier directly for the $2.49/minute fee and the carrier passes on the charge to you. CAS would have no means of collecting their fee if your monthly limit was exceeded.

Here's a list of the roaming partners that CAS works with at this time...

AT&T

T-Mobile

O2

Vodafone

Telcel Mexico

Smart Philippines

Rogers Wireless

:)

It wont work on the ship, but you will hold on to your phones signal longer, because it wont be able to switch over to the ship tower.

I have virgin Mobile and I love just paying $25 a month for unlimited web and texts :) Left contract phones in my rear view mirror years ago.

For ports,it depends on which ones you are visiting. Out the box mine will work in St Thomas and Puerto Rico, but since I have an andriod phone with a hot spot and an app called GrooVe IP, I can make free calls from anywhere in the world as long as I can find a free wifi signal.

With the new Carnival rate of $1.99 per min, its cheaper to use the phone in your room if you need to make a call home.

Not sure of very much' date=' but this I am sure of. I had my iPhone set on the proper Airplane mode, but did NOT turn off my data roaming. So when I picked up my cell phone while bored, 5 different times, I got the message about my data costing me $$$,and would quickly turn it off again. I still don't really understand what I did. But I paid $130 for this lesson. my data roaming is turned off, and my cell phone will be locked in the safe during the trip also!!!

How many margaritas is that???? LOL[/quote']

Put it on Airplane mode AND turn off Push. I used mine for books and games and had no problems.

I believe cdaimon is right. Cellular At Sea, the company that provides the satellite link for cell phones on virtually all cruise ships, bills your carrier directly for the $2.49/minute fee and the carrier passes on the charge to you. CAS would have no means of collecting their fee if your monthly limit was exceeded.

Here's a list of the roaming partners that CAS works with at this time...

AT&T

T-Mobile

O2

Vodafone

Telcel Mexico

Smart Philippines

Rogers Wireless

:)

You forgot the CDMA carriers:

Verizon Wireless

Sprint Wireless(excluding Nextel)

Alltel