Walking to Nikki Beach with kids Safe? Advisable?

hatched4

Our ship docks in Aruba at 8 a.m. in mid-February. We are a family of five (youngest kid being 10) and were thinking of getting off the ship fairly promptly and walking to Nikki Beach and cabbing back when the sun is hotter. I've read on the boards that it's only a mile walk, which we think it doable. My question is: is it a safe and easy walk, or would it be smarter to cab both ways? We don't want to walk along a busy highway or in neighbourhoods where tourists need to be extra cautious. Oh, would there be shopping opportunities along the way? Thank you!!

Yes, safe to walk as long as you stay off of the road. You will be walking straight on a main highway, but once you get out of town past the Renaissance Resort there is a new linear park with walkway.

The one mile walk will be fine as long as it is not too hot.

No shopping opportunities to speak of along the way but you can have your taxi drop you off in front of the Renaissance Resort Marina Tower and walk around from there.

Whoever said it's only a mile is full of hooey. It might be a mile from the edge of town, but it is a heck of a lot farther if your ship is parked at the end of the pier. We walked it last weekend with our three kids. There were zero taxis at our ship in the 30 minutes we waited. We finally started walking. It was a long walk. We first walked to the bus depot, and the bus driver told us to walk, that it was only a five to ten-minute walk. Maybe I'm just seriously out of shape, but it took us 30 minutes to walk it. lol

BUT once we got there, it was a great day. The rentals were reasonable and their food and drinks were good and fair prices. We rented two of the large circle couches and an umbrella for $20. The water is shallow a long way out, which was great for our kids. We took a taxi back to town that dropped us off at the outdoor market.

Edited by tamirpr

Thank you for the information Arubalidsa and Tami. I think we can do 30 minutes since it will be morning and not yet crazy hot. Do you remember what the taxi fare was coming back and what the stop is called for the outdoor market? Once you're done shopping, are you close to the ship? Glad to hear the good reviews on the beach.

Thank you for the information Arubalidsa and Tami. I think we can do 30 minutes since it will be morning and not yet crazy hot. Do you remember what the taxi fare was coming back and what the stop is called for the outdoor market? Once you're done shopping, are you close to the ship? Glad to hear the good reviews on the beach.

The taxi is $7 total for the five of us. Nikky Beach called and had a taxi there within five minutes. The taxi driver dropped us off in front of the pretty pink buildings. You can't miss it. You're right there at the port.

When you exit your ship and the port, turn right and walk through the middle of town. You will pass over a little bridge, pass by the Renaissance resort, pass by a pretty little park, and then keep walking along the water edge until you think it's nowhere close. Then it will be on your right. ;) The building is white and set far off the road. From the roadside, it looks like it's an abandoned building. Keep walking along the side of it towards the water and there will be a boardwalk at the back of the building.

• 1 month later...
Whoever said it's only a mile is full of hooey. It might be a mile from the edge of town, but it is a heck of a lot farther if your ship is parked at the end of the pier. We walked it last weekend with our three kids. There were zero taxis at our ship in the 30 minutes we waited. We finally started walking. It was a long walk. We first walked to the bus depot, and the bus driver told us to walk, that it was only a five to ten-minute walk. Maybe I'm just seriously out of shape, but it took us 30 minutes to walk it. lol

BUT once we got there, it was a great day. The rentals were reasonable and their food and drinks were good and fair prices. We rented two of the large circle couches and an umbrella for $20. The water is shallow a long way out, which was great for our kids. We took a taxi back to town that dropped us off at the outdoor market.

Tampir...

Was Nikki Beach/Reflections family friendly? We will be in Aruba from 1pm-10pm and I saw some pics online that looked like it had more of a nightclub vibe. Looks like a perfect place to spend the day. How were food prices?

Thanks for your help.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How is the snorkeling right off the beach? If not too good are there charter boats to take you to reefs?

There is nothing to see snorkeling off of the beach. You would need to venture up to the northern end of the island to Boca Catalina/Catalina Cove. If you search those locations here on the forum there are threads with info.

Otherwise, check out Jolly Pirates, Strea Charters or Tranquilo for snorkeling off of a boat.

Is there a fee to use Nikky beach other than to rent chairs/umbrellas? I am looking to go to this beach instead of doing a day pass at a resort. Thanks

Dana

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=40337283&postcount=63

I emailed Nikky Beach, inquiring about prices, amenities and facilities.

Chair and the umbrella for $12.00 after that you can use all our facilities--

• pool

• bar

• restaurant

• showers

• bathrooms

and of course we have a free wifi.

As far as I am aware this is the only spot which includes use of their swimming pool for the price of admission.

Where is Nikky beach located? Do you have a link?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

http://beach-aruba.com/

They also have a page on the social site people use.

We had a great time there when we went in April however let me warn you that when their website says best beach in Aruba that is subjective and IMO not even close to accurate. Having been to Eagle beach twice and being across from the Amsterdam hotel the two beaches do not even come close in comparison. That area of Eagle beach is stunning and picturesque.

What Nikky Beach had was very friendly staff, excellent facilities, drink specials for happy hour only, swim up bar and a wonderful group of friends that totally made our experience there top notch. They do rent beach loungers and umbrellas for a very fair price and included our first drink free.

Maybe I am not understanding something. I read on a different thread that Reflections charges $75 per person for an all inclusive day pass. Is it being said that you can go to the beach without a day pass, pay $12 (or so) and use the beach and pool and chairs and such??? Just working on the specifics of cost and what is included in the cost.

Can drink/food be purchased without an all inclusive pass? If so, what are the drink costs expected to be? Can the drink/food be purchased down on the beach or does one have to go to a restaurant somewhere off the beach to purchase these?

Edited by Out to sea!

Maybe I am not understanding something. I read on a different thread that Reflections charges $75 per person for an all inclusive day pass. Is it being said that you can go to the beach without a day pass, pay $12 (or so) and use the beach and pool and chairs and such??? Just working on the specifics of cost and what is included in the cost.

Can drink/food be purchased without an all inclusive pass? If so, what are the drink costs expected to be? Can the drink/food be purchased down on the beach or does one have to go to a restaurant somewhere off the beach to purchase these?

You've mixed up two places. The Occidental is the one that's $75 for a day pass.

You've mixed up two places. The Occidental is the one that's $75 for a day pass.

Yes, Occidental has the day pass with the resort itself being all inclusive. Reflextions is pay as you go. ;)

Ah, okay, now that makes sense. Sorry for the confusion. :o

Soooooo, for Reflections/Nikki Beach, does anyone know what the going prices are for what things? What do you pay to get on the beach and what is included with that and then what can you pay extra for? Thanks for any info y'all can provide.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=40337283&postcount=63

I emailed Nikky Beach, inquiring about prices, amenities and facilities.

Chair and the umbrella for $12.00 after that you can use all our facilities--

• pool

• bar

• restaurant

• showers

• bathrooms

and of course we have a free wifi.

As far as I am aware this is the only spot which includes use of their swimming pool for the price of admission.

• 3 months later...