Oranjstad beaches

windswept31

The only beach in the downtown area is Surfside Beach. Some consider it walkable, others have complained that it is too far to walk to. There is a place on Surfside called Reflextions, which rents chairs, has food, etc. It is fairly small.

Hop in a cab and go to Eagle or Palm beach....both have chair/umbrella rentals and restrooms...very nice! It's not THAT far! You won't want to stay all day...the sun is REALLY strong! 2 hours should do it!

Thanks everyone 2 hours should do it in port 7 to 12:30. Eagle beach sounds good just thinking of getting a walk in. Is eagle beach a good walking beach or is the sand to soft?

Eagle is a great beach to walk on. I walk it every day when we are there. With such a short time in port, I would just take a taxi, if they are around. If not, just walk across the street and take the number 10 bus.

• 3 weeks later...
Hop in a cab and go to Eagle or Palm beach....both have chair/umbrella rentals and restrooms...very nice! It's not THAT far! You won't want to stay all day...the sun is REALLY strong! 2 hours should do it!

How far from the port are these beaches? Will there be places on the beach to get food, drink, etc. Thanks

What is the best part of Eagle Beach to head to? I've heard Amsterdam Manor area as well as MVC (Tulips). We want to rent chairs and have bathroom facility available (understanding we may need to purchase drink/etc to use).

What is the best part of Eagle Beach to head to? I've heard Amsterdam Manor area as well as MVC (Tulips). We want to rent chairs and have bathroom facility available (understanding we may need to purchase drink/etc to use).

Both areas are fine and very close to one another; chair rental is reasonable and "facilities" are just across the street.

• 2 months later...
I read that snorkeling is not too good at reflextions ?

What is the closes beach from the ship that offers good snorkeling ? We don't mind walking or taking the bus.

There is no good snorkeling along Eagle, Palm Beach or around Surfside (Reflextions). You need to go to Boca Catalina, Arashi, or Baby Beach to snorkel. Baby Beach is on the other side of the island, and is a very expensive taxi ride (not worth it, in my opinion). You can take the bus to Boca Catalina or Arashi, or take a taxi. They are in residential areas, so be sure to read up on them on this board, to understand transportation issues. Boat snorkel tours can be reserved ahead of time, if you are in port during the right hours. There are some nice parrot fish in the snorkel area of DePalm Island, but that is a private facility that has lots to do, and is fairly pricey.