How far in advance

Cruiser06and10

How far in advance do you book your hotel in New Orleans? We are cruising out of New Orleans next January, but have not booked a hotel yet. At what point should we have it secured?

Thank you in advance!

Since I do not book prepaid rooms I book a long way out in advance. Then I keep watching prices at the place I booked and other places. If I see a better deal/place I switch and cancel the original reservation.

I see no real reason to wait if you have no money down on it.

Edited by NightOne

Since I do not book prepaid rooms I book a long way out in advance. Then I keep watching prices at the place I booked and other places. If I see a better deal/place I switch and cancel the original reservation.

I see no real reason to wait if you have no money down on it.

I agree with NightOne. Start looking now, but only look at rates that DO NOT require prepayment. Then you can keep looking, and if a better hotel or cheaper rate opens up, you can cancel one reservation and pick up the new one.

This is especially key if there is a specific hotel you want to stay in. Better to reserve a cancelable reservation now than not get the hotel later.

Just make sure you do NOT pre-pay. That would lock you in and make it so you cannot cancel.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with NightOne. Start looking now, but only look at rates that DO NOT require prepayment. Then you can keep looking, and if a better hotel or cheaper rate opens up, you can cancel one reservation and pick up the new one.

This is especially key if there is a specific hotel you want to stay in. Better to reserve a cancelable reservation now than not get the hotel later.

Just make sure you do NOT pre-pay. That would lock you in and make it so you cannot cancel.

I agree with the other posters. I book on a web site that offers one rate if you pay in advance and a slightly higher rate to book without payment. I usually have a preference of where I want to stay so I would rather have the peace of mind that I have the accommodations I want even if it ends up slightly more at the end.

• 1 month later...