Celebrity 3 night jazz fest stay

habsfan4ever

As soon as We read itinerary, we booked, the chance to visit this historic City, as well as see one of the best music festivals. Other than Mother Nature controlling the weather, what kind of transportation issues do we have getting from Port to fairgrounds. Could you reasonably walk it.

It is not reasonably walkable.

A cab or Uber would be the quickest way to get there. Another option is the Canal Street streetcar, at $1.25. Slower, but a good bit cheaper. Be sure to take the one marked "Carrollton." It will drop you off at the end of Esplanade Avenue, and the Jazzfest entrance is about 8 blocks away. Just follow the crowds.

Getting back is more of a challenge. Most of the acts end around 7:00 p.m. and you want to avoid those crowds if you can. If you leave around 6:00 you will be OK.

There is a designated pickup area for cabs and Ubers. You can download a Jazzfest Fairgrounds map showing this area. The wait for the streetcar is long.

As soon as We read itinerary, we booked, the chance to visit this historic City, as well as see one of the best music festivals.

Wow! I didn't even know celebrity did this! It sure didn't show up on the UK website when I was browsing next year's cruise.

Is this something they do annually? Sorry to hijack your thread - happy to start my own if that's best. But while am here is this one of those cruises that they tend to charter out? I've been reading a lot about that on the forums the past day or so.

Cheers

Shaun

Thanks - just found the Mardi Gras sailings. Really excited they do this sort of thing but the Non-NOLA parts of it seem less interesting than on the Jazz fest one. Plus am guessing (but could be wrong) that a Mardi Gras cruise might attract a crowd big into big time partying?

In New Orleans, the people into big time partying stay in New Orleans for Mardi Gras. The people who want to get away from the partying crowd go on a cruise.

Be sure to read up on what you can and can't bring into the festival. NOLA folks take their partying and festivals to another level so many know the ins and outs well. There is absolutely no shade so a wide brim hat is a must. You will also want to invest in some "parade chairs" as NOLA folks call them unless you are keen with standing all day or sitting on the ground. The rest of the world seems to call them soccer chairs. :D If it rains that means the grounds will be a mess. Plan on packing either a pair of shoes you don't mind ditching at the end of the weekend or pack a pair of rain boots. Bathrooms are portable toilets so pack some tissues and hand sanitizer. The food is delicious, so skip any heavy meals on the ship and enjoy the food on the grounds. My favorite is crawfish Monica which is like a spicy alfredo, noodles and crawfish!

This site is a good list of what to pack.

http://gonola.com/2014/04/10/gonolas-guide-to-packing-for-jazz-fest.html

What to wear:

http://www.axs.com/dress-for-the-fest-what-to-wear-to-the-new-orleans-jazz-festival-10268

I haven't personally ever take this bus service, but definitely something to consider.

http://www.graylineneworleans.com/all/seasonal/jazz-fest-express