Daniel Johnson's Monkey and sloth habitat

jorezba

Booked many months before the cruise. Got to port on Wednesday, walked up the hill and down again. Daniel and his aunt, Eunice, were there and waiting for us. Eunice gave us a great tour of the island. She was very easy to talk to and VERY accommodating. My wife is in a scooter, so the beaches were out. She took us to a resort, that had a pier type bridge my wife could roll around on. Then it was off to see the Monkeys, Sloth and other animals at Daniels. I got to hold the monkeys, we both got to hold a parrot and the wife was able to hold the sloth. It was the best part of our week long cruise!!! Then it was off to feed the iguanas..another great time. Thank you Eunice!! I hope you see this and we REALLY appreciate the time you gave us!!!

If you have someone in a wheelchair or a scooter, and you dont think there is anything to do on Roatan..please...please...please, look up Daniel Johnson on FB.

birds.jpg.3ceb93b4b33719c63c406abe4f552dab.jpg

iguana.jpg.b5a95463cfd8e99c8b503b661d6e43a3.jpg

monkey.jpg.c9fac96788636e263bce2879ef9393e0.jpg

It makes me sad to se these types of posts, No matter how well cared for the animals "appear" for a short visit, they are captive, held prisoner. They are not domestic animals, they are not even native to the island, often with these types of things their parents are killed in the wild so the babies can be taken, why not visit a place these animals live naturally in the wild and do a jungle tour so see them living in their natural environment rather than captive?

• Like 1

Really???:confused::confused::confused:

Did you look at his FB page? These are rescue animals others have given him. The sloth lives in a tree behind his house...not in a cage. It can come and go if it pleases..but it likes it there. Have you ever been to a zoo? They are held "captive" as well. I would guarantee that these animals live better than any other animal in the wild on this island thanks to Daniel's care of them. But everyone has their own opinions, and I respect yours...though I disagree with it very much..at least concerning MY post about Daniel Johnson.

• Like 1

Booked many months before the cruise. Got to port on Wednesday, walked up the hill and down again. Daniel and his aunt, Eunice, were there and waiting for us. Eunice gave us a great tour of the island. She was very easy to talk to and VERY accommodating. My wife is in a scooter, so the beaches were out. She took us to a resort, that had a pier type bridge my wife could roll around on. Then it was off to see the Monkeys, Sloth and other animals at Daniels. I got to hold the monkeys, we both got to hold a parrot and the wife was able to hold the sloth. It was the best part of our week long cruise!!! Then it was off to feed the iguanas..another great time. Thank you Eunice!! I hope you see this and we REALLY appreciate the time you gave us!!!

If you have someone in a wheelchair or a scooter, and you dont think there is anything to do on Roatan..please...please...please, look up Daniel Johnson on FB.

Hi,

How did you get in contact with Eunice to book your tour with her we really want to go to the Monkey and Sloth hangout? Thanks

Hi,

How did you get in contact with Eunice to book your tour with her we really want to go to the Monkey and Sloth hangout? Thanks

I contacted Daniel thru his FB page, via facebook messenger (or the send message) button..I didnt ask for Eunice, but Im sure you can..she was great!!

So excited to hear about this! We are booked there at the end of October! Any hints for when we are there?

No real hints..We met at the bottom of the hill, don't waste $2 per person for the taxi..its an easy walk, my wife's scooter had no trouble with the hill..AT ALL!! We started with a visit to a local Hotel/beach club, a tour of the island, then drove our way over to the Monkeys/Sloths. Then off to the Iguana farm, then to the other side of the island. There were many beautiful beaches we could have stopped at.. (but were not beach people :))...just a lot of driving and sight weeing..WE LOVED IT!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

We messaged Daniel Johnson on Facebook and am I glad we did! It was a day decision to go out and visit his facility. His mom picked us up at our resort and drove us to meet Daniel. He drove us the rest of the way. His facility is clean and the animals were great. It's a small place but it was an experience of a lifetime. We got to be in an area with the capuchin monkeys. I had 2 on my head at once. A little overwhelming for me since they scare me but Daniel was very reassuring. In fact he kept asking me if I was ok. :) It was the most positive experience I have had with monkeys. We fed the macaws and some other birds. We even got to hold Patricia the 11 month old sloth. His sloths are not kept in cages, they are free. We were told that sloths in cages do not fare well. He has done his research on the care of these animals. He spends a large amount of money a day making sure his babies have the freshest fruit and a well balanced diet. I was very impressed with everything and I would go back there in a heartbeat.

• 2 weeks later...
First post seems to have disappeared! Does anyone know how long the tour of Daniel's place takes? We would like to be able to tack it on after another excursion. Are there set times and tours? Thanks for any advice.

We go there with Ronystours.com. With his freestyle tour you stay as long as you like. Fabulous day!

It makes me sad to se these types of posts, No matter how well cared for the animals "appear" for a short visit, they are captive, held prisoner. They are not domestic animals, they are not even native to the island, often with these types of things their parents are killed in the wild so the babies can be taken, why not visit a place these animals live naturally in the wild and do a jungle tour so see them living in their natural environment rather than captive?

This was my thought too...UNTIL I went and heard the story of how Daniel started his sanctuary. He is nursing animals back to health in order to reintroduce them to their native habitat - many are brought to him from the mainland as abandoned (or orphaned) infants. The sloths come and go (slowly! :p) with no restraints. His animals are well cared for and "cages" are huge, far bigger than any "traditional" zoo I've been to. You know that nasty smell at a zoo that you can even smell in the open (and you feel like you can still smell it long after you've left??)? Not at Daniel's! His place is clean and there wasn't a scrap of waste - He has volunteers from the local schools that are learning about animal welfare as well as tourism - the young man that showed us around was smart and polite and knew a lot about the animals he was showing us. Also, unlike other zoos I've been to worldwide where they feed the animals nonstop to get them to "pose" and such...not at Daniel's - his are just cute and happy because they are well cared for, not because they're getting treats!

I'm sorry Monkeylala, but you're picking on the wrong guy and the wrong sanctuary.

130588056_Roatanmeandsloth.jpg.f4a2f75974c0c4f195dd705e2a19c06a.jpg

583517541_Roatanmonkey.jpg.dbf844686df90c87ad88147405dbe4c0.jpg

1831948801_Roatansloth.jpg.1ee87c018f435758af60ea99ed445b64.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We had a wonderful time at Daniel's Monkey and Sloth hangout. Besides getting to be with and hold these animals, Daniel and the staff educate you about them - they really know their stuff. I believe one of their sloths may be pregnant ... so they will have another new baby soon. This is a "must do" if you are going to Roatan. Daniel also takes you sightseeing on the way to and on the way back from his house. He teaches you the history of Roatan. It's a great tour. Just contact him on his Facebook page. You won't regret it.

This sounds like an amazing day. I've done a bit of research and looked into this trip and Daniel Johnson seems to have rave reviews. The pictures look pretty cute as well.

Does anyone know if the animals are vaccinated? I'm a nervous person, what can I say?

Also in a few of the posts people have said the sloths hang out in a tree and are not caged at all. I really want to make sure this is more of a sanctuary type place and not a zoo.

Where else do you go on this trip? It seems like you get driven around the island a bit. Everyone seems to have went and done different things? Is there a list of options?

This sounds like an amazing day. I've done a bit of research and looked into this trip and Daniel Johnson seems to have rave reviews. The pictures look pretty cute as well.

Does anyone know if the animals are vaccinated? I'm a nervous person, what can I say?

Also in a few of the posts people have said the sloths hang out in a tree and are not caged at all. I really want to make sure this is more of a sanctuary type place and not a zoo.

Where else do you go on this trip? It seems like you get driven around the island a bit. Everyone seems to have went and done different things? Is there a list of options?

I can't say for sure if the animals are vaccinated, but I can assure you they are well taken care of and loved. The sloths are free to roam (slowly!) and hang out in a tree by the water. Everyone else has large habitats to hang out in. I am not a "zoo" or "aquarium" person. I adore animals. This was the most lovely (not as in "spa like" but as in "love all around") animal rescue sanctuary I've visited in all my travels. I don't think you'd be disappointed. Take a look at Daniel's FB page, your heart will melt.

I can 150% recommend Roatan Ocean Adventures for a tour of Roatan, you will not be disappointed.

Edited by tea4ular

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What if one only cares to visit Daniel's Monkey and Sloth Habitat? (and not the tour part of Roatan)

Is that a possibility? If so, how would we book that?

Please excuse me if I missed that information.

What if one only cares to visit Daniel's Monkey and Sloth Habitat? (and not the tour part of Roatan)

Is that a possibility? If so, how would we book that?

Please excuse me if I missed that information.

Yes you definitely can. It's one of his options. If you head over to his "social media page that starts with a f", you can send him a message there.

Hi guys

I'm so hoping to do this while in Roatan this February, I was hoping to do a private island tour including this and other stops like the iguana farm, botanical gardens,butterfly gardens, shopping etc. Most tour companies charge a flat rate plus the admission fees at the stops. Does Daniel offer tours like this as well or just of his property?

Thx

My husband and I just spent a day with Daniel last week. We booked a private tour with him through his F page. Daniel had been up all night with one of his girls in labor so had his friend Victoria meet us at the port. She was lovely and we greatly enjoyed our tour with her. She took us to Daniel's place and he spent a lot of time with us, and was so apologetic for not meeting us himself. I was not at all bothered by it, and in fact appreciated his obviously love and dedication to his animals and their well being :) He offers several options including a snorkle package, which we plan to do on our next trip in Jan 17 :) I can't praise or recommend Daniel and his sanctuary enough. Absolute highlight of our trip!