Pilot Baot On Strike On St. Thomas!!!!!

Yes We Can

Yes it look so! I heard that the captin from the Emerald Priness is upset and mad at hell!

I just heard that the ships are still lined up as there are not enough pilots available.

Some kind of strike and some volunteers offered to pilot the ships in.

Can you provide information?

I just heard that the ships are still lined up as there are not enough pilots available.

Some kind of strike and some volunteers offered to pilot the ships in.

Can you provide information?

I am looking out my window and the only ship that is coming in is the Oasis of the Seas. All the 4 others ships are just sitting in the harbour.

I am looking out my window and the only ship that is coming in is the Oasis of the Seas. All the 4 others ships are just sitting in the harbour.

I just called the folks at Cruise Critic and they're going to be making inquiries...

Thanks for the heads up.

:)

While there are Rules and Regs about pilots etc... St Thomas is a port where the Captains should be able to get in and out on their own... Hope it gets fixed soon

I know you are right and the captains must have enough experience to do that.But isn't it obligatory to have a pilot to guide you into the harbor? it remember me on a RCI cruise when they asked the captain what does the pilot do exactly when he comes onboard and his answer was have a cup of coffee and some muffins!

I wish all of you good luck who are currently stuck in port or have a cruise scheduled for St Thomas already. Personally, with the political debates there is enough unrest, not to mention this clear publicity stunt about being drug free (which is the total opposite of the truth) and the strike, I would want to be rerouted if I had St Thomas stop scheduled. To me - and yes I have been there - it just seems too volitile. Not that all cruises to the beautiful St Thomas should be cut but why not wait till the situation calms down? That is one place I would not want to be while the natives are restless - and they sound restless. JMHO - please don't flame me - I've had a rough couple of months.

:)Kerry

Hi everyone,

We're putting together a quick item. According to St. Thomas tourism, it's not the pilots who are the issue, but the 'coxswain seamen' who typically transport the pilots from shore to cruise ship. In fact, they don't even know if it's actually a strike. A rep told us they're still investigating. (There were an unusual number of seamen who called in sick today.) Regardless, there is a contingency plan in place. The cruise ships will send their own tenders to pick up the pilots, who will then oversee the berthing as usual. Oasis has been delayed slightly (1.5 hours says an RCI rep). NCL, which gets in at noon will arrive and depart on schedule, according to a line rep. Still trying to reach Princess/Carnival for details. Obviously, Emerald was delayed by several hours.

Keep us posted Yes We Can!

Hi everyone,

We're putting together a quick item. According to St. Thomas tourism, it's not the pilots who are the issue, but the 'coxswain seamen' who typically transport the pilots from shore to cruise ship. In fact, they don't even know if it's actually a strike. A rep told us they're still investigating. (There were an unusual number of seamen who called in sick today.) Regardless, there is a contingency plan in place. The cruise ships will send their own tenders to pick up the pilots, who will then oversee the berthing as usual. Oasis has been delayed slightly (1.5 hours says an RCI rep). NCL, which gets in at noon will arrive and depart on schedule, according to a line rep. Still trying to reach Princess/Carnival for details. Obviously, Emerald was delayed by several hours.

Keep us posted Yes We Can!

Thanks For the Update Dan

If St. Thomas were looking for an economic meltdown this will do it for them.

In light of the recent tourist tragedy you would think they would be doing everything in their power to get tourism back in full swing. This is definitely not the way to do it.

Archived