swimwear question - first cruise for honeymoon

CruiseSkeptic85

I would say cheeky is fine but a full out thong by the pool I've rarely seen on a cruise ship. Beach day would be alright. Just on ship she will definately be talked about and may feel uncomfortable since on cruises I've been on the thong is rare. Parents would struggle to remove kids if they disagree with that type of thing since space can be limited. (To put this post in perspective I'm in my 20s and what I wear on a cruise is different than an all inclusive vacation)

,,,,, Parents would struggle to remove kids if they disagree with that type of thing since space can be limited.

Well, having cruised with a young son on many a cruise, I had no problem with him being exposed to different cultures.

Did not concern me a bit that he saw some cheeks, and ...... well, we did the beaches at St. Martin a number of times.

He is now an adult about to graduate from the university with an Engineering degree. To my knowledge, he never became a serial murderer, rapist, or a social snowflake misfit.

If memory serves me well, years ago,t here was an oubreak of Legionaaires disease whch wasttaced to hot tub on Celebrity cruise ship, Horizon. I never got in a p.ublic hot tub since. Just the thought of it turns my somach.

Well, having cruised with a young son on many a cruise, I had no problem with him being exposed to different cultures.

Did not concern me a bit that he saw some cheeks, and ...... well, we did the beaches at St. Martin a number of times.

He is now an adult about to graduate from the university with an Engineering degree. To my knowledge, he never became a serial murderer, rapist, or a social snowflake misfit.

Never said anything about it leading to that at all. Very far jump. I'm just saying some may see it as nudity a bum being out and depending where u go it's more acceptable. Beach is a more typical place. Cruise ship usually not. Different places different things are more socially acceptable and since the poster asked this question it makes me believe she would worry about things like that. I have a bikini if I had not been on a cruise before I'd bring and wear myself and then be uncomfortable that I did. Have worn it on an inclusive no problem. I'd still bring it but my thoughts is people will talk and that would make her uncomfortable. I'd rather be honest with the poster than say my personal opinion which would be I don't care what people wear. I just know others will and now up to her what she does.

No issue...and absolutely no reason why she should not wear it.

BTW...keep selling. We agree...a Costa Rican adventure beats a cruise! We are in Bouquete, Panama now making our way to Costa Rica. There are some very high end resorts in Costa Rica that would definitely compete well with any cruise vacation.

Is this a but creepy! New husband wanting comments on what his wife should wear? Why can't she make up her own mind and take a couple of bikinis she likes and just wear them

If wanting to make sure we don't end up getting endless awkward stares making us feel incredibly uncomfortable on our honeymoon is creepy, then check me off as creepy.

The whole point of this post was that I have never been on a cruise and did not know if her normal beach attire would be acceptable on one. Seems the overwhelming majority of people want to help, and then there are people like you.

I think your concern is reasonable.

Last time I was re boarding a ship in Mahogany Bay, I noticed numerous male crew members ogling young women who were re boarding the ship wearing only their tiny bikinis. The women looked lovely...BUT...as a woman, the amount and type of attention made me very concerned for these young women, so much so, I wished I had a few towels to wrap around them. It was not what the young women were doing that was making me uncomfortable - they were only standing in line to pass through security - it was the stares of the male crew members at these women. It appeared to me that some of the crew in the area were those who don't normally interface with guests and they had found a "reason" to be in that area of the ship at that time to see attractive and scantily clad women.

What I would think about on a cruise ship is that you have a diverse group of crew members and people from all over the world and of all ages on the cruise with diverse beliefs, cultures and ideas of what is and is not proper and then add into that alcohol (and possibly drugs) but definitely those who have been over-served and therefore have lowered inhibitions. Given these circumstances, I would suggest dressing a bit more modestly when in front of a mass of people especially while boarding or debarking or onboard, but on a beach, anything goes. I also think that your wife should bring several swimsuits so while one or two are drying, she has a dry one to wear. And, of course, a non-transparent coverup is important for between the beach and ship cabin or for when going between the ship pool and cabin or into the buffet or other areas of the ship.

I think your concern is reasonable.

Last time I was re boarding a ship in Mahogany Bay, I noticed numerous male crew members ogling young women who were re boarding the ship wearing only their tiny bikinis. The women looked lovely...BUT...as a woman, the amount and type of attention made me very concerned for these young women, so much so, I wished I had a few towels to wrap around them. It was not what the young women were doing that was making me uncomfortable - they were only standing in line to pass through security - it was the stares of the male crew members at these women. It appeared to me that some of the crew in the area were those who don't normally interface with guests and they had found a "reason" to be in that area of the ship at that time to see attractive and scantily clad women.

This is pretty universal. I tend to assume that someone who wears that type of bikini is doing it for the attention. If you are reasonably attractive and your bum is hanging out; people are going to stare... whether you are at the local pool, beach, or on a cruise. I'm uncomfortable in these situations so I wear moved covered up suits and only take off my cover up when I'm lounging at the pool/beach. But I really don't think the crew in this situation were displaying behavior that those girls didn't get everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Really? Pigs?

Pigs ... dogs ... whatever .... really. Most men cannot help but being men. It is part of their inner being.

Some women strut around in scanty or revealing clothes then are offended if someone looks at them. Jeez.

Too bad for them.

The thing about buffets is that regular buffets freak me out, a buffet with 3000 hands in it every day is even more frightening to me LOL. I'm sure I'll do fine.

!

Lots of people handling your meal in any restaurant on land as well and that's behind closed doors. LOL

Buffets on ships are usually watched carefully from the other side and are kept pretty clean compared to many all you can eat places on the outside. Many Items are actually plated for you by staff. USE THE DINING ROOM IF YOU MUST..

Wash hands frequently and keep them out of your mouth AMD HAVE A GREAT CRUISE.

bosco

I sense a storm brewing on this thread. Please, let's try to keep this civilized and friendly, folks. One of the main things I love about CC is that people are willing to give their advice and be friendly. Considering what goes on in other forums, it is such a relief coming here.

That all being said, I applaud the original poster for being willing to come and ask his questions. For all we know, his fiancee asked him to ask the question, so no, I don't think he is being overly paternalistic or creepy. He is looking out for his partner; I'm sure she would do the same for him.

As a straight woman who hasn't worn a bikini since she was in pigtails, I say let her wear what she wants. Will there be people who are offended? Of course, but these are the same folks that probably look for an offense in every little thing. Life is too short to be bothered by them. With regard to safety, she's not wearing this bikini while walking alone in a dangerous part of a city; she will be wearing it in a place where many other woman as good or better looking will also be wearing them. No point in scaring the original poster with the idea that some man is going to be laying in wait to attack his wife just because she wore a bikini in public. The male crew members see thousands of scantily-clad women in a year; yes, they look, as do most other men. Men are visual creatures--time to get over it and let them look without making them feel like criminals. Guess what--many women, gay and straight, look too because they appreciate beauty and the older ones remember a time when they could wear a bikini.

Okay, I'll step off my soapbox now. Sorry to derail the thread. I didn't like where this was heading.

CruiseSkeptic85--your wife can wear whatever she wants. I've been on a number of cruises and, as others have mentioned, have seen it all. Don't worry about safety concerns. As long as she practices the same care onboard as she does in everyday life, she'll be fine. A ship is like a small friendly city in many regards, and is a whole lot safer than a city.

As to the petri dish concern, as others have mentioned, you don't have to go through the buffet. I don't like buffets, so I mostly use the main dining room or order room service, which you can do at no charge (one of the wonderful benefits of cruising).

As to the hot tubs, I think they are cleaner than any other public hot tub you'll find elsewhere. The hot tubs are drained and cleaned nightly, which is something that doesn't happen elsewhere. However, if the thought grosses you out, most cruises have a hydrotherapy pool, which is really nice. Kids are not allowed in them. You have to pay to use them, though.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage. You are going into it with the right attitude. :)