Formal nights on Carnival Liberty

mitsguy2001

My wife and I are booked on the Carnival Liberty 7 Night Exotic Eastern Caribbean cruise begining June 25, 2011. We are curious as to how many formal night there are, and which nights they typically are. Is there 1 or 2 formal nights? Or is there 1 formal night and 1 semi-formal night? How do people typically dress for a formal night, and how do they typically dress for a semi-formal night? Also, is the lobster night in the main dining room the same night as one of the formal nights? Thanks.

my family did this itinerary in April and there were two formal nights: Monday (sea day) & Thursday (Grand Turk). There was a wide variety of clothing for these nights, but most people kicked it up a notch. I believe the lobster was the first formal night, but I may be mistaken.

We had SOOO much fun that cruise. I'm jealous that you still have it ahead of you.

if i can remember i think there are two formal nights and there is also a captain cocktail party. I'm not really sure but you can check with carnival they should be able to tell you exactly. on the formal night some women wear gowns, and some wear nice long dresses and some wore cocktail dresses. its basically what's your type of formal. the same for the men most wore suits and ties and some wore a dress shirt and slacks. i hope this was helpful information. have fun!!!!!

I was on the Liberty in January and there were 2 elegant nights but I don't remember which nights. Most of the people we saw were dressed very nicely. Women were mainly in cocktail dresses and men were in suits.

While we were waiting to get into the dining room there was a man wearing shorts and a t-shirt that was turned away- so they do enforce the dress code.

There are usually two elegant nights on 7 day cruises and I have to admit to thoroughly enjoying them. It's going to be even more fun for me this time as my son's girlfriend is coming along so we can get girly together! :p The boys never like the elegant nights that much - hahahahaha!

We had 2 formal nights on our last 7-day on the Valor. As long as you're not wearing shorts and a t-shirt they'll let you in. I saw men in khakis/chinos and polos that were allowed into the main dining room.

my family did this itinerary in April and there were two formal nights: Monday (sea day) & Thursday (Grand Turk). There was a wide variety of clothing for these nights, but most people kicked it up a notch. I believe the lobster was the first formal night, but I may be mistaken.

We had SOOO much fun that cruise. I'm jealous that you still have it ahead of you.

Correct. It's usually sunday and thursday, but since HMC is on sunday they do it monday and thursday instead.

Carnival eliminated formal nights over two years ago. Now it's elegant night with no jacket and no tie.

No jacket or tie are required but you can still wear them if you desire.

On our last couple of cruises (since the change to elegant night) we have seen a few (very few) men in tuxes, a few more in suits, the majority were in either jackets or tie without jacket (DH's style), and a few with dress shirt and no tie (DS style) or khacki's and collared shirts (polo or tropical). With the women we saw a few (very few) in formal gowns, the majority in cocktail dresses (my and DD's style), and few in sundresses or pant sets.

I'm on the Liberty in March. I wonder what sadistic person decided to serve lobster when everyone is dressed up? Thanks for the info. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all that info. For the people that do dress up: do they typically dress up for the entire night, or do they dress up for dinner, and then put on something more casual for the clubs or other nighttime entertainment activities? Thanks.

Personally..I like to get dressed up..and stay dressed up for the whole evening. I don't dress up much so when I do get to. I like to stay that way for a while.

Although, men's formal attire is very heavy and impractical for the Caribbean, especially when dancing at a club. Which is why I was hoping to be able to remove it after dinner.

Formal night is always in the evening of "at sea" days. Some people stay dressed up the entire evening, others prefer to change into more casual attire.

If you don't pose for photos at the areas Carnival photographers have set up, have a fellow passenger use your camera to take a few shots :D

Formal night is always in the evening of "at sea" days. Some people stay dressed up the entire evening, others prefer to change into more casual attire.

If you don't pose for photos at the areas Carnival photographers have set up, have a fellow passenger use your camera to take a few shots :D

On my cruise (which starts and ends on a Saturday), the sea days are Monday and Friday. Since Friday is the last day of the cruise, I doubt that's a formal night. I'm guessing they are Monday and Thursday. Although, Thursday, we are in port until 5:30 PM, so having formal night on Thursday night would be a pain.

Thanks for all that info. For the people that do dress up: do they typically dress up for the entire night, or do they dress up for dinner, and then put on something more casual for the clubs or other nighttime entertainment activities? Thanks.

I have used both of these options ;)

If I am feeling comfortable and my feet do not hurt from my shoes :rolleyes: I will stay dressed up until the wee hours

Other times I am just so ready to get out of my dressy clothes that I head back to the cabin and change.

You will see a mix throughout the night. Some people stay dressed, some change and some never dressed up at all and opted to eat on the Lido Deck.

One of my favorite photos I took on a cruise was while my BF (at the time) and I sat in our casual coverups eating sushi on the Promenade Deck with our new cruise freinds who were in Tux and gown ready to go to Early Dinner....we were having a snack before getting ready for Late seating......you will see quite a mix all evening on all nights!

Archived