Activities for Couples without kids?

ShatteredReality

Hi All,

My wife and I are planning our first cruise and it's coming down to DCL or RCI.

I'm a huge Disney fanatic so DCL seems like kind of a no brainier but given the additional cost we want to make sure it's a good fit for us.

We are looking at either a 8-night RCI cruise or a 7-night DCL cruise to the Caribbean and I'm curious about on-board activities.

I know that Disney is going to be tops for entertainment (movies, shows, etc) but RCI has a lot of activities that lend themselves more to adults (rock climbing, surf simulator, wine tastings, zip lines, etc).

DCL's website doesn't go into as much deatail about on-board activities other than the fairly obvious ones (shows, movies, character meet and greets, kids clubs, pools, the Aqua-Duck, etc).

Given that there will be at least 3 days at sea how are the activities for younger couples who don't have kids.

For reference I'm 27 and my wife is 28, this trip will hopefully serve as kind of our last getaway before we begin to start a family.

We will either sail on the Fantasy or the RCI Oasis of the Seas so I'd love input for what things are available to adults that may not be widely advertised on the DCL website. I'd also love to know which of these kinds of activities have an extra charge (I'd expect things like wine tasting to cost extra but I'm new to all this so I don't know what is included and what is not).

Thanks!

We've only sailed on Disney so I don't have anything to compare it to. We don't have kids, have done three Disney cruises (first was with family and we had a better time than they did).

We like the movies, but we like Disney movies. I've never been to a Disney park, and aside from the movies wouldn't say I'm a big fan.

Disney does a good job of keeping the kids occupied and out of the adult areas. So while of course they are all around, they aren't in the adult pool and all.

We used the spa, the adult pool, the adult restaurant, sat at dinner with a few other couples, went to late night shows for adults, went to the pub (adult only after a certain time, kids allowed early in the day). We had enough to do to have a good time.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hi All,

My wife and I are planning our first cruise and it's coming down to DCL or RCI.

I'm a huge Disney fanatic so DCL seems like kind of a no brainier but given the additional cost we want to make sure it's a good fit for us.

We are looking at either a 8-night RCI cruise or a 7-night DCL cruise to the Caribbean and I'm curious about on-board activities.

I know that Disney is going to be tops for entertainment (movies, shows, etc) but RCI has a lot of activities that lend themselves more to adults (rock climbing, surf simulator, wine tastings, zip lines, etc).

DCL's website doesn't go into as much deatail about on-board activities other than the fairly obvious ones (shows, movies, character meet and greets, kids clubs, pools, the Aqua-Duck, etc).

Given that there will be at least 3 days at sea how are the activities for younger couples who don't have kids.

For reference I'm 27 and my wife is 28, this trip will hopefully serve as kind of our last getaway before we begin to start a family.

We will either sail on the Fantasy or the RCI Oasis of the Seas so I'd love input for what things are available to adults that may not be widely advertised on the DCL website. I'd also love to know which of these kinds of activities have an extra charge (I'd expect things like wine tasting to cost extra but I'm new to all this so I don't know what is included and what is not).

Thanks!

If you look here: http://disneycruiselineblog.com/personal-navigators/

you'll find past Navigators (the daily activity paper). You can get an idea of what sorts of activities are offered on the cruises.

The only adult physical activities the Fantasy offer are the Aqua Duck, the gym or running.

They offer mixology, beer, wine, I think whiskey tasting, I think tequila tasting.

It also has two adult only restaurants for a fee.

Have you looked thru past Navigators (daily activities schedules?)

Here are some:

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2016/02/personal-navigators-7-night-eastern-caribbean-merrytime-cruise-port-canaveral-december-5-2015/

Disney cruises aren't really geared up for thrill rides or physical activities especially for adults. It's more about relaxing with your family or by yourselves with the kids in the clubs. The ports are good for activities.

There are some great reviews posted on CC from adult only cruisers.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

I love sailing Disney - I sail with my mom or with my husband (separate trips) - and the service is really top-notch. I have done 3 RCCL cruises, and I won't sail them again - just not my cup of tea. Loud, inelegant ships with very little to offer other than a great many bars, extra cost restaurants & the "rock-climbing/ice skating/flow riding" crowd. If the get out & rock climb idea is your thing - then you will love it. We are 30's & 40's, but it just isn't our thing, and it never really was.

The beauty & elegance of the Disney ships far outweighs what RCCL offers, but every cruise line has its fans - and different things appeal to different to people. The food on both lines in the MDR's I found to be mediocre at best, and therefore ate mostly in the adult alternative restaurants, which will add up on a 7 night cruise. We see the most kids only during shows and character greetings, for the most part, and stick to all of the adult areas at other times.

All of this is my opinion, but I have tried both lines, and can sum it up like this: Non-stop action, activity, party in -your- face, RCCL.

Fun, very service oriented, family friendly, superb entertainment - DCL.

As for ports - Castaway Cay is infinitely better than any other line's "private island" choices. Disney wins on alternative dining, also. I was unimpressed by RCCL's Johnny Rockets & Steakhouses.

We recently did a Princess cruise and were surprised to find A LOT more adult activities than on DCL. No, these were not physical type activities, but were at least something scheduled to do besides gambling (which is bingo only on DCL). We also found the MDR food to be quite a bit superior to DCL...but we've seen DCL's food quality diminish over the years.

Honestly, as a young adult couple, I'd need a very serious reason to pay the price that DCL charges. Yes, they have the most beautiful ships and the cabins are bigger than many other lines....but the prices are double to quadruple what others charge. I can buy into doing it "for the kids," but we've canceled 3 booked DCL cruises because we can do basically the same cruises on other lines for far less cost. Also, other lines have more interesting ports rather than the "same old thing."

For a Disney fan it is hard to beat a Disney cruise. But if your wife is not so big a fan then I think another line is probably a better choice. You'll have far more entertainment options such as karaoke (which can be very funny), comedians with more "adult" humor than on Disney, adult "game shows" such as take offs on The Newlywed Game, much more dancing and "clubbing" type of activities. Disney doesn't have as much to offer adults who like these kinds of things. We were bored on our last Disney cruise during sea days as we didn't see the variety of things we do on our favorite line (NCL, but people feel as strongly about RCL too).

We love Disney but have also sailed other lines. The adult activities are a little lacking but the service and ambiance make up for it. If you want to combine Disney with a more adult oriented cruise consider the turner Classic movie cruise which charters disney ship once a year. We have done all of them, the last three of which were on the Magic. The next one is in November and is for a week on the Fantasy. You have to like old movies and older movie stars but there are lots of movies, interviews, book signings, tastings etc. And hardly a kid or Disney character to be found. You might be the youngest onboard but it's so much fun! Good musicians, dancing, comedians. You can look on the TCM web site for details. They are not selling the next one yet but it usually sells out once they open up. On past TCM cruises we have seen and often met stars like Richard Dreyfuss, Debbie Reynolds, Eva Marie saint, Robert Wagner, Angie dickenson, louis Gossett jr., director richard Corman and many more.

Depends on what you like if you enjoy quiet relaxing nights then Disney. If excitement, fun and drinks is what your looking for then Rci at least there bars are open past 10:00 pm!!!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

This is a bit of an exaggeration. The bars on DCL are typically open till midnight...but DCL does shut down earlier than many lines.

Interesting...I've been on 30+ DCL cruises. The adult show or activity typically starts at 10:30 (Match Your Mate, variety performer, or whatever) with a dance or other activity presented by the cruise staff to follow in the same room. Yes, they are typically over by midnight which is when kid programming usually ends. Late night snacks are typically set out at 11:15, at which time there are usually activities still happening in at least 2 rooms. But then, I typically do long cruises. If you do short ones, I suppose that the schedule may vary.

Edited by moki'smommy

2069432431_ScreenShot2016-03.jpg.72eeb2271912d4d49b8470abb22622ed.jpg

1105207379_ScreenShot2016-04.jpg.d292c95fc8d5ecaf5cbe68d333d6fd80.jpg

841050235_ScreenShot2016-05.jpg.7ad18027860511e831eca5890af65eb0.jpg

1918269104_ScreenShot2016-06.jpg.ccfd69104d524ce308efb11d49d15cfd.jpg

Sorry but have been on many Disney cruises and only bar that's open till midnight is the dance club which is almost always empty by 10 and like I said closes at midnight.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

There are variety acts and games shows listed at starting at 10:15 / 10:30pm until 11:15pm and bands or DJ after that?

Screen shots from disneycruiselineblog

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Techie, that has been my experience. Adult games or variety acts starting at 10:30 with DJ dance parties (themed) following. This is in Fathoms (formerly RBD), with people generally hanging out in whatever the new name of Diversions is. Sorry, my brain will always go to the old names. Food at 11:15 in Diversions.

On Fantasy, activities in the big room of the nightclub area with food placed in the area outside the room.

Yes, most things end near midnight unless there is a movie PremEar.

Oasis will have a Broadway show and a few cast type shows plus a comedian. Disney has a three or so different shows, sometimes better sometimes not. Disney has current run movies in 3D if that is your thing, and of course Star Wars.

I've been on Allure and loved it, but Dream and Fantasy are great boats too.

Adult areas are better on the Disney boats, but the huge cantilever hot tubs on Oasis class are better than the two glass bottom ones on Disney.

On RCI, the flowrider and rockwall, etc... will have TONS of kids....they aren't exclusive "adult" activities by any means!

Who said they were "adult" exclusive?

The OP said lend themselves more to adults.

Keep trying cb at sea!

ex techie