Spirit outdoor and indoor seating areas?

T&C Fulham

We are about to book for a Caribbean cruise on the Spirit.

It is hard to find photos or information about where one can sit on deck. We are sure there are areas. Where are they please and is there usually enough seating to accomodate those wanting it? Presumably also it accomodates those who want to be in the sun or the shade?

And one of the cruiser reviews implied there were not many places to sit after dinner. Did anyone else think this?

Thanks for any help forthcoming.

T&C

Starting from the top - you can get outside on Deck 8 from the Observation Lounge but no seating. Lots of seating (tables and chairs + one sofa and armchairs onthe starboard side) near the Sky Bar - a favourite sitting position for many cruisers, especially for sailaway. Some tables in sun and some in shade. Loungers all round the sun deck on Deck 8 (overlooking the pool area). But no shade at all.

On Deck 7, plenty of seating on the main deck - some in sun and some in shade. A small lounger/seating area by the little pool on the starboard side (often in shade). Deck 5 - loungers around the whirlpool. In the sun.

I have never seen all the seating taken - but you can have some issues if you want to be in the shade. Also the starboard side of the Sky Bar is a smoking area - all depends on your fellow cruisers whether that nice spot is useable.

I haven't ever cruised in the Caribbean, but the only thing that I would be concerned about is whether there would be enough shade.

Thanks TSA,

I'll start another thread if you have gone. If you are around can you give me recommendations about 'reserving' tables for dinner.

Does one need to plan/reserve in advance or can one decide on the evening? I have not yet fully read up the dining options but I did spot a post when one person felt they had been slow off the mark - and regretted it.

T&C

These are from the Pride, Spirit should be near identical. Lets see...

This is part of the seating area by the Skybar

CA_08141211243614-XL.jpg

This is looking from the Skybar towards the aft, for the deck BBK the whole upper area was filled with tables & chairs.

CA_08141211252368-XL.jpg

The seating at the Skybar itself

DSC_0117-XL.jpg

The super secret;) Jacuzzi

DSC_0123-XL.jpg

The area around the pool

DSC_0131-XL.jpg

The only place you reserve a table for is the R2 restaurant -- no reservations needed in the main restaurant. In fact, unless you have a party of six or more you cannot reserve a table there so if you want a particular table it is best to arrive shortly after the restaurant opens for dinner.

Thanks TSA,

I'll start another thread if you have gone. If you are around can you give me recommendations about 'reserving' tables for dinner.

Does one need to plan/reserve in advance or can one decide on the evening? I have not yet fully read up the dining options but I did spot a post when one person felt they had been slow off the mark - and regretted it.

T&C

For the restaurant, just show up. For R2 (dinner only) you need to make a reservation (book early, book often:cool:). What I noticed is that people would always book R2 and then if something caught their eye on the restaurant menu or they got an invite to a hosted table they'd cancel their R2 reservation.

baychilla

Sorry to hi-jack the thread topic but I just had to ask--- the last picture you posted from the wet "surf and turf" was that this past May-June on the Spirit? The reason I ask is the guy with cap and white hair looks identical to our friend that we usually travel with. He and his wife made the cruise from Monte Carlo to Rome. It was a last minute decision and we couldn't get it together that quickly so we missed the cruise. We haven't been able to get together with them yet to hear about the trip. When I saw the picture it made me wonder if it was taken on that cruise. If not, it is his twin and the little bit of blonde hair sticking out behind him looks like the color of his wife's hair ---so it just may be a coincidence but it sure got my attention when I saw it and I had to inquire!!!

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

baychilla

Sorry to hi-jack the thread topic but I just had to ask--- the last picture you posted from the wet "surf and turf" was that this past May-June on the Spirit? The reason I ask is the guy with cap and white hair looks identical to our friend that we usually travel with. He and his wife made the cruise from Monte Carlo to Rome. It was a last minute decision and we couldn't get it together that quickly so we missed the cruise. We haven't been able to get together with them yet to hear about the trip. When I saw the picture it made me wonder if it was taken on that cruise. If not, it is his twin and the little bit of blonde hair sticking out behind him looks like the color of his wife's hair ---so it just may be a coincidence but it sure got my attention when I saw it and I had to inquire!!!

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

These are all from the Pride July/Aug 2012 AMS - AMS Baltics cruise.

I will throw in my 2 cents worth too.:eek: Using an un scientific approach, we arrive at my purely subjective opinion. We sailed on the Spirit in the Med in mid October. The outdoor spaces were adequate for the not so warm changeable weather at that time of year. The indoor spaces, especially the Observation Lounge, were most welcome and enjoyable. The weak spot in the little sisters has always been the pool, sundeck areas. The pool is a total afterthought down between the twin funnels. The droning noise of the diesels at this location plus the lack of sunlight and lack of any view makes the pool area (again, IMHO) completely useless. On sunny, warm days, there was competition for decent outdoor seating. It was nearly a full passenger load so there is only barely adequate outdoor seating for everyone. The beautiful pictures posted show the forward hot tub. Usually private but when you are seated or in the tub, the only view is the steel bulkheading of the bow area. To have any view at all in this area you must stand. Also, if there is no breeze, it can get very warm in this steel basin.:eek: Now, we had a great cruise. As good food and service as we have had anywhere. If we were doing any area with mixed weather, we would not hesitate to sail on the Spirit again. However, we would not sail Spirit in the Caribbean for all the reasons just expressed. SeaDream is by far the better choice for outside pool, lounging, bar areas. Again, just my humble opinion-not trying to start a war.:D With that said, we would not sail SeaDream in the Med or any other variable to cool weather location because the indoor spaces on SeaDream are very limited compared to the Spirit. So, I am sure this is all clear as mud.:eek: For us it is SeaDream in the Caribbean, Seabourn for Europe.:D

Seadream - been there - done that - never again

Yes, it can be a bit of an acquired taste.:eek: As would be Windstar. The OP was asking about indoor and outdoor spaces. Just trying to answer that. Again, just my humble opinion.:D

Thanks for that info. Most useful.

Before this thread comes to its conclusion can someone wise me up on this please:-

but it certainly made me sad that Seabourn is selling the triplets.

This will be our first ever cruise. Are you saying that having found Seabourn they are about to sell up?

T&C

Thanks for that info. Most useful.

Before this thread comes to its conclusion can someone wise me up on this please:-

but it certainly made me sad that Seabourn is selling the triplets.

This will be our first ever cruise. Are you saying that having found Seabourn they are about to sell up?

T&C

Seaboun currently operates six ships. The three older ones (about 25 years old) - the Pride, Legend and Spirit - all take just over 200 passengers in six-star all-suite luxury. About 4 years ago (maybe 5 - someone will correct me) they launched the first of three larger ships - Odyssey - which was followed by Sojourn and Quest. These each accommodate around 450 passengers again in six-star all-suite luxury.

It was announced earlier this year that Seabourn has sold the three smaller, older ships to Windstar. Pride leaves the fleet in spring 2014, the other two in 2015.

Affectionately referred to by many afficianados of long-standing as the sisters, little sisters or triplets the departure of these three ships will sadden many.

But Seabourn still has the three larger ships, the same promise of quality service and rumours of a new ship to be built "soon".

Archived