Boarding in Vancouver - Canada Place

Unless they have drastically improved the process, the boarding at Canada Place was chaotic and not well organized. All the cruise lines use one main waiting line, luggage drop off was in the same area for all lines (had grreat concern that my luggage would get put into the wrong cruise ship). There are no workers to help organize the crowds, people don't know where to go, then realize they'v waited an hour in the wrong line and have to start over. Last time I came thru there the RCL and HAL ships sailed hours late because folks were still trying to get on. Same thing on debark, absolute chaos, waited 2 hours to get to taxi stand.

Hopefully someone who has gone thru there last fall will give you their experience. I allow an extra 2 hours going on and coming off in Vancouver.

Being there extra early for embarkation would be the best. Found that to work well. We did not experience disembarkation woes because we opted to take an RCL transfer to the airport since we had a fairly early flight. Best move from the stories we heard about getting a taxi.

In Vancouver, try your best to get their early. No matter which dock, it can be a slow process. There is US customs to deal with, always fun. Canada is not so bad most of the time. The buses arrive from Seattle transfers around 1 and you can imagine how that packs the house. Good luck.

We were there and in line by 11 and on board only about 45 minutes later. I don't remember it being any worse than other ports. Then again I was out of my mind excited, so I could have blocked out any annoyances!

Because the cruise season is just starting here you will be dealing with a lot of new part time staff that are still learning the job.

In June and beyond things will be smoother, especially if there is only one ship in port, but the advice to get there early for the 11th is smart.

You are in a very busy part of the city with lots of restaurants, views and shopping so if there is chaos you could go for a walk and wait for things to settle down.

CPP_cruiseship.gif.9713b605be6c87a25e1139d7a958c9fa.gif

My husband and I are taking the West Coast Express in from Mission on the 11th so will probably be in town around 9ish. There are THREE ships docked at Canada Place that day so we're definately wanting to be there early.

This is my first cruise so I'm pretty nervous.

Port of Vancouver Cruise Schedule

You have nothing to be nervous about!! What are you nervous for, if you don't mind me asking. :)

We are boarding onto Rhapsody next week Friday (5/11) - I've heard some stories about boarding in Vancouver (vs Fort Lauderdale and Miami ports)...what exactly should I be expecting?

It will be busy with 3 ships just get there early (11ish) and should be fine

We will be getting on the Radiance the same day:D

My husband and I are taking the West Coast Express in from Mission on the 11th so will probably be in town around 9ish. There are THREE ships docked at Canada Place that day so we're definately wanting to be there early.

You live near there so you will be fine. No reason to be nervous with 3 ships in port. They have done this before:p

BTW congrats on your first cruise....

Port of Vancouver Cruise Schedule

According to this 2012 Vancouver Cruise Ship Schedule Radiance and Rhapsody are the only ships in port on May 11th.

According to this 2012 Vancouver Cruise Ship Schedule Radiance and Rhapsody are the only ships in port on May 11th.

Hey Patti, the Westerdam is suppose to be in port the 11th as well. It does its 1 day cruise to SEA

Maybe its over @ Ballantyne:confused:

http://cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=729&date=45

That could be because it doesn't appear on the link to the calendar that I provided.

And cruisett doesnt show the Radiance or Rhapsody:confused:

Either way, it doesnt affect you, as you will be able to sit on your balcony and watch us all board on the 11th:p

We will get to experience Canada Place chaos or calm :confused:twice in the same day. We arrive on the Westerdam May 11 at 10 am and are sailing on the Rhapsody that afternoon. At least we won't have far to go:rolleyes: It will be interesting

We will get to experience Canada Place chaos or calm :confused:twice in the same day. We arrive on the Westerdam May 11 at 10 am and are sailing on the Rhapsody that afternoon. At least we won't have far to go:rolleyes: It will be interesting

Weve done the 2 ship B2B turnaround day there before..... It wasnt too bad

And perfect timing for you just disembark and go out and get back in line

Hi,

That day, and a few others at the start of the season, is always abnormally '' zoo-ish''

*you have three ships in port, two arriving from their previous market sailing area; this is a 95% guarantee that disembarkation is slower than normal ( customs, immigration, coast guard....all with stringent clearing of crew and inbound guests )

*as other posters correctly pointed out, staff is hardly '' broken in'' and not in full complement yet. Also, two of the three ships (Radiance & Rhapsody ) have their turnaround serviced by the same shoreside company (Gateway) whose operation protocol is geared towards one ship/day turn around== extra pressure...and at the wrong time...

*Even US C&BP folks have to ''reset'' their habits as this will only be their 6th day clearing inbound passengers at the pier.

*Same applies to the security folks....

This scene replays itself every ''start'' and ''end'' of season.

I suggest folks arrive ~~10;00am, be ready for a yet ongoing disembarkation scene, get in line for the 1st step: security clearance, arm yourself with patience, and you'll be near the front of the line when they open security ( which means C&BP are now ''ready for duty'' as this is where you head after security ); thus, you will always near the front of the line, wherever stage it's at ;Once C&BP have dealt with you, you're then directed to your respective ship line-up and the ''line '' splits in three....

Once checked in at RCL, it's a matter of minutes. All three ships technically will be ready to accept guests by noon latest ( on a normal turnaround day, this is ~~ 11;15am).

I've experienced these scenarios both as a guest ....and a worker.

Patience is key. Knowing that even a turtle pace line-up moves ...ultimately...and will get you there.

Happy sailing.

Cheers

You have nothing to be nervous about!! What are you nervous for, if you don't mind me asking. :)

Nervous about little things... like where do we go when we get to Canada Place. Being from the Fraser Valley I'm no stranger to Vancouver but i'm not sure where the cruise terminal entrance is. I've been scouring the internet for a map of the bulding but no such luck (I LOVE maps btw). I'm betting there will be a giant sign saying 'cruise ships this way!' when we get there.

I'm sure the cruise will be awesome and I've learned a lot on these forums from other members so I hope to not be a total newb. I've been pretty stressed out this last month as my husband and I just bought are first home and between now and the 11th we have to get some renos done (new floors and narrower cabinets to make room for a fridge) and packing. Really looking forward to a week of relaxation!!

Yes, there is a huge sign. Plus there will be lots of cars, taxi's and people coming in. Plus you'll SEE the ship parked! All will be good!

I thought I read somewhere that Rhapsody is going to be in the far berth, furthest from the shore and partially blocked from view. Can't find where I found that out though! :P

I thought I read somewhere that Rhapsody is going to be in the far berth, furthest from the shore and partially blocked from view. Can't find where I found that out though! :P

There is no building there that can block a 1000 foot long ship!

Here's a google image of Rhapsody at Canada Place.

124421352.UTCuzPoq.SC_TS1_1000449.jpg

Here's an overhead view I also found...

news_canada_place.jpg

Finding the ship will be the least of your worries...trust me! Have fun, relax. and enjoy Alaska! It's spectacular! We've been twice and can't wait till we can go again. Plus there were large signs with the RCI logo pointing us in the correct direction. You can always stay the night before at the hotel that's at Canada Place. It's expensive, but supposed to be quite beautiful! Then all you have to do is ride the elevator down to the pier.

It's been a couple of years since I was there, but the traffic was horrible, just getting to drop off your luggage. But once inside the terminal it was more organized and moved as fast as any other terminal.

All you need to do is get to the cruise terminal the ships will be seen

Here is the sat view of the area http://mapq.st/ImUbX6

Also if you have a Garmin or GPS you can just put the address in

Archived