Good Island Music Referral, pls

MickCruiser

Hi there. Just back from the Glory yesterday (Sun, Mar 25).

Now going through post-cruise vacation blues. :(

Anyone have any suggestions on an Islands Music-like CD/album.

Was looking on iTunes but didn't see much too offer.

Not looking for a steel drum compilation.

I could be corny...but looking for something that would be akin to the band that plays on the Lido during the afternoon.

I may not be able to pound margaritas while back in the office, but would at least like to think about it with the right music playing in the background. :)

Thanks!

Some of my favorite roots-era reggae artists are:

The Wailers

Peter Tosh

Toots & The Maytals

Burning Spear

Althea & Donna (esp Uptown Top Ranking)

Junior Murvin (esp Police & Thieves)

Jacob Miller

John Holt

Trojan Records puts out some awesome, super cheap 3-cd box sets that have some really great, obscure tunes.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_sq_top?ie=UTF8&keywords=trojan%20box%20sets&index=blended&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00006BXIF&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0VW5Y75W8EYQNMC6QC2Z

If you're looking for more contemporary stuff, you can't go wrong with any of the Strictly the Best compilations. They are a pretty good place to sample some of the newer stuff coming out.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_sq_top?ie=UTF8&keywords=trojan%20box%20sets&index=blended&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00006BXIF&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0VW5Y75W8EYQNMC6QC2Z#/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=strictly+the+best&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Astrictly+the+best

There's a great (IMHO) steel drum band out of Seattle called The Toucans - you can google it but their music is available on Amazon. I usually play it when I'm stressed at work or need a vacation moment:)

How about some Jimmy Buffet? His album "License to Chill" may not be island music, but it has some great cuts on it, especially "Boats to Build", with Alan Jackson, and "Sea of Heartbreak" with George Strait. If you're a Jimmy Buffet fan, you're sure to like this album. Also, Kenny Chesney has a few albums that will put you in the mood for a cruise, especially "Lucky Old Sun".

Hi there. Many thanks for taking the time to snap and post those!!!! :D

of course marley and the others are must haves, but for some non-rasta stuff we like Buffet and Barefoot Man. Barefoot Man does a permanent stint on Cayman island at one of the resorts, we found him in the Abacos on Guana Cay...plays at Nippers every spring! If you go to the Nippers website I think you can hear a sample of his music.

Archived