Lurker/Newbie with some questions

Hi all! I've been lurking for a few weeks now in anticipation of my first Carnival cruise. I have some questions that I can't find the answers to in previous posts and was wondering if you guys could help me out:

1. Concerning the soda cards: Can you buy sodas as you need them or do you have to get the card? If so, are you still charged the 15% gratuity or is that only for bar orders?

2. If you bring your own sodas on board, are they allowed in the MDR or can you only drink them in your room?

3. Room Stewards: Are these the same people you tip for room service? I've heard you should tip them well, but I'm assuming they are included in prepaid gratuities? So, how much is "well" if gratuities are prepaid and should you tip daily or at the end of the cruise?

These are probably petty questions, but most of my others have been answered by lurking through other posts. Thanks :)

You can order soda without the soda card and yes there is a gratuity added to it as well.

Not sure about drinks in MDR. (last time I cruised they didn't let you bring drinks on lol)

I'm not sure about the room service but I'm pretty sure they are not your cabin steward.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

You can buy sodas as you want them. You'd purchase them from a bar and I believe the tip is added but can't swear to that.

If you bring soda onboard, you can take it anywhere you want.

Stewards and the people who bring your room service are not the same. Stewards are included in the autotip, room service is not.

I tip the room service person anywhere between $2-5, depending on how large my order is.

Hi all! I've been lurking for a few weeks now in anticipation of my first Carnival cruise. I have some questions that I can't find the answers to in previous posts and was wondering if you guys could help me out:

1. Concerning the soda cards: Can you buy sodas as you need them or do you have to get the card? If so, are you still charged the 15% gratuity or is that only for bar orders? You dont have to buy the soda card, you can just buy them as you need them for $1.75 plus tip at the bar, or from room service for $1.75 each without the 15% tip.

2. If you bring your own sodas on board, are they allowed in the MDR or can you only drink them in your room? Yes, you can bring them to the MDR

3. Room Stewards: Are these the same people you tip for room service? I've heard you should tip them well, but I'm assuming they are included in prepaid gratuities? So, how much is "well" if gratuities are prepaid and should you tip daily or at the end of the cruise? No, your room steward will not be delivering your room service orders. You should tip the room service person $1 per plate of food ordered (my opinion).

These are probably petty questions, but most of my others have been answered by lurking through other posts. Thanks :)

All good questions.

Anything you buy from the bar will have the tip added, if you order a drink at dinner it is from the bar and a tip will be added. I believe if you buy the soda card a tip is added to the price of the card. The one cruise that I bought a soda card for my grandchildren I tipped the MDR bar waiter an extra $5, it was a 5 day cruise.

In addition to the auto tip a lot of cruisers give an additional tip. This is voluntary and not required and depends on the service you get. I usually tip the room steward an extra $20 and his assistant and extra $10, same in the dining room. I do it in the middle of the cruise, some do it on the last day and some do not tip extra. I have also heard people tip the bartender extra if they frequent that bar a lot during the cruise. As another poster said room service is not included in the auto tip, the $2-5 is what most people recommend.

We usually take soda and water onboard. We take it so we can have it for excursions. You can take it anywhere on the ship unless it is in a glass bottle, they don't allow those around the pool. Can't think of any soda that still comes in glass bottles. :)

Hope your first cruise is as much fun as mine was! If you plan to have a good time then you will!

tips on any drinks you buy they add a 15% tip. A bottle of water, a large one for $3.95 .. add 15% to that cost. Same for cans of soda .. anything that is not free.

If a can of soda is $1.75, then add 15% to that price to get the total price that will be on the charge you sign.

tips are not included.

room service is food and a small tip is expected and not included in the $11.50 per day tips

your cabin steward cleans your cabin twice a day, makes your bed, gives you mints, makes towel animals but he does not bring you food.

He does restock the refrigerator if you drink soda from that, but he does not get that tip. soda from your refrigerator in your cabin is charged the same prices as from a bar.

1. Concerning the soda cards: Can you buy sodas as you need them or do you have to get the card? If so, are you still charged the 15% gratuity or is that only for bar orders?

2. If you bring your own sodas on board, are they allowed in the MDR or can you only drink them in your room?

3. Room Stewards: Are these the same people you tip for room service? I've heard you should tip them well, but I'm assuming they are included in prepaid gratuities? So, how much is "well" if gratuities are prepaid and should you tip daily or at the end of the cruise?

I'd like to add an additional answer to question # 2. In addition to being able to take your soda with you into the MDR, you can also take your own glass of water with a flavored drink mix in it, such as one of the Crystal Light mixes. The reason I say take your own, typically the water glasses in the MDR aren't quite big enough.

tips on any drinks you buy they add a 15% tip. A bottle of water, a large one for $3.95 .. add 15% to that cost. Same for cans of soda .. anything that is not free.

If a can of soda is $1.75, then add 15% to that price to get the total price that will be on the charge you sign.

tips are not included.

room service is food and a small tip is expected and not included in the $11.50 per day tips

your cabin steward cleans your cabin twice a day, makes your bed, gives you mints, makes towel animals but he does not bring you food.

He does restock the refrigerator if you drink soda from that, but he does not get that tip. soda from your refrigerator in your cabin is charged the same prices as from a bar.

If you order a soda thru room service, there is no 15% tip added. Tip the delivery guy as you see fit.

Sodas cans (various Coke products), basic bottled water, and glasses of juices can be had from from a drink server, lounge attendant, or bartender, all available @ $2.24 per order. Most times you will be served a can of soda with a glass of ice on the side, some will pour the soda into the glass of ice and give you the remained of the open can.

Available for those that drink a lot of soda or juices (bottled water is not included) is the Bottomless Bubbles sticker at a charge of $6.90 (adult) or $5.18 (17 & younger) per day + possibly the departure port's local tax for the length of the cruise. The BB sticker may be purchased on board the day of embarkation and the first full day of the cruise only. Sodas under the program will be served already in a glass of ice, so depending on the bar tender you may not get a full can's worth of soda in each serving but no need to sign anything each time you order. Just to let you know if you decide on the Bottomless Bubbles sticker it will not apply to room service deliveries of soda or the sodas in the mini-fridge.

You may enjoy any of your carried-on beverages just about any where on board. But don't expect roving drink servers to get you a glass of ice if the beverage is warm, you can try to go directly to a bar tender. Also the crew may chide you if you try to bring anything glass near the Lido pool area.

No, the room service people tend to be kitchen or cleaning staff (the ones from public areas) putting in extra hours and hoping for additional tips. They should be tipped upon delivery of your room service items, generally at $1-$2 per plate or carafe of gratis beverage for a minimum of $2.

Your room steward will be the lead member of a team that cleans your cabin and gets you things for your room such as ice or extra towels. These hard workers will also be the ones preforming any turn down service and delivering the daily schedule to your cabin. It will be your choice if you want to tip above and beyond the auto-gratuities for the services they provide. I will also be your choice if you wish to tip them extra as the service is done or at the end of the cruise.

Hope this clarifies your questions.

Archived