7A Obstructed View Balcony - Carnival Spirit

LEtue

I remember reading some posts about these cabins before but forgot the details. Is the view only obstructed looking down? There is big price difference when cruising solo and I would like to have a balcony in Alaska :D

We had a Cat 7A on the Spirit in February and it was great! for the best views make sure you select a cabin rear of first three life boats and make sure it is one that is in between two life boats. The first three life boats at the front of the ship are taller and cause more of an obstruction than any of the other life boats. If you select a cabin in front of one of the gaps in between life boats, you even get to see down to the water. There is no obstruction directly outward as the lifeboats come to about two feet above the deck in front of your balcony.

Hope this helps!

Be careful you book a 7a and not the 5A. 5A has a french door that opens and not a balcony. 5As are located on the main deck (4) the 7 A's are located on the upper deck (5) the life boats are at your balcony floor. WHen you look down that is what you will see. But you can still look out and see. The best cabin that has a balcony with hardly any life boat is 5190-5191 but these cabins hold 4 people and dont know if Carnival will let you have it for single or double.

deck 5

http://www.carnival.com/Deck_Plan.aspx?shipCode=SP&deckCode=U

deck 4

http://www.carnival.com/Deck_Plan.aspx?shipCode=SP&deckCode=M

It was the absolute perfect cabin. Directly Midship, 6 cabins from the main elevators and stairways, with a great view. Get it if you can! I tried to dig up some photos from the balcony that show the obstruction, but I couldn't find any... I guess I shot over any obstruction...

Good Luck!

• 5 years later...

Hello , first time poster here & first time cruiser ...:) Have just booked Carnival Miracle today, for 8th june, from New York to East Carribean.My query is all I know about cabin (Stateroom) is that its category 7A with resticted view, have not yet been given room number... as this is my first Ever cruise, Im worried about obstruction ... will I still have nice view, we like to have some chill time & love the idea of sitting on balcony watching the world go by ...IF we can see it LOL

So should I be asking for a particular room, Any help really appreciated, we are from UK & also have to add cost of flights to New York & of course sightseeing NY as his is another first time ,,, also accomadation in NY... so don`t want to spend all money on cabin ... so should I be happy with 7A ???

:rolleyes:

Hello , first time poster here & first time cruiser ...:) Have just booked Carnival Miracle today, for 8th june, from New York to East Carribean.My query is all I know about cabin (Stateroom) is that its category 7A with resticted view, have not yet been given room number... as this is my first Ever cruise, Im worried about obstruction ... will I still have nice view, we like to have some chill time & love the idea of sitting on balcony watching the world go by ...IF we can see it LOL

So should I be asking for a particular room, Any help really appreciated, we are from UK & also have to add cost of flights to New York & of course sightseeing NY as his is another first time ,,, also accomadation in NY... so don`t want to spend all money on cabin ... so should I be happy with 7A ???

:rolleyes:

Sounds like you booked a balcony guarantee-- your room COULD be anywhere on the ship...

booking a guarantee rate--you dont get to pick your cabin.

Your cabin will be assigned when it gets closer to sailing.

I agree it sounds like you were sold a guarantee, I would not do that for a first cruise. Now with a guarantee you are guaranteed a cabin of the category you booked OR BETTER, but you don't necessarily get better and you might get the least desireable cabin in your chosen category. You also MIGHT get an upgrade that might or might not be a "Good" upgrade. you might get moved up a notch but still be obstructed etc.

If I were you and If it matters to have a nice view I would go online and Look at the deck plans and which cabins are the Category you can afford, then call your TA back and tell them you don't want the guarantee you want to select a cabin, It will likely cost you a bit more than the guaranteee rate did.

Then while they are on the phone and you are looking at the deck plans, have them tell you what cabins are available in your category or ask them about specific ones if you saw any you like.

By the way Midship about halfway up and down vertically is the most stable place if you don't know if you are prone to sea sickness or not.

I would not do that for a first cruise. t.

the first cruise is the best time to book a guarantee- you have nothing to compare it to. Have no idea whats above/below- heck- i didnt even know to look for such things.

the more cruises you go on the more pickier you get.

Hello again, Thanks to all who replied ...I`m thinking maybe I should call TA & find out how much more it would cost me to pick a specific cabin, I feel slightly annoyed that as I was going through the booking process I did not get the option to do that, it was not until I had booked that I found out I had been given category 7A which comes under obstructed view ... as far as I knew I had booked A BALCONY STATEROOM, & the cost is £1400 do u think I would have to pay much more to pick desired room ? by the way that is the cost for us both for our 8 day cruise. from NY to E.CARRIBEAN.

Hello again, Thanks to all who replied ...I`m thinking maybe I should call TA & find out how much more it would cost me to pick a specific cabin, I feel slightly annoyed that as I was going through the booking process I did not get the option to do that, it was not until I had booked that I found out I had been given category 7A which comes under obstructed view ... as far as I knew I had booked A BALCONY STATEROOM, & the cost is £1400 do u think I would have to pay much more to pick desired room ? by the way that is the cost for us both for our 8 day cruise. from NY to E.CARRIBEAN.

a 7a is obstructed- you cant look down into the water. SItting on your balcony your view will be fine. a 7A IS a balcony cabin.

Booking a guarantee is cheaper then booking a set cabin.

For us the price was 100.pp more to pick a cabin.

You have to ask the agent how much more is it to pick a cabin.

what is 1400 in american dollars?

we paid 1250 for two for a balcony on the Freedom for March.

No two prices will be the same. Depends on how far you booked, when you booked etc.

You are a first time cruiser- take the balcony guarantee- you have nothing to compare it to. You will be out and about most of the times and use the cabin for sleeping, showering etc.

• 1 year later...
It was the absolute perfect cabin. Directly Midship, 6 cabins from the main elevators and stairways, with a great view. Get it if you can! I tried to dig up some photos from the balcony that show the obstruction, but I couldn't find any... I guess I shot over any obstruction...

Good Luck!

Booked this cabin - specifically requested it after reading your review. Thanks a lot - can't wait to go, and we were very excited to save some hard earned cash over paying for a regular balcony!

Booked this cabin - specifically requested it after reading your review. Thanks a lot - can't wait to go, and we were very excited to save some hard earned cash over paying for a regular balcony!

whew- the poster posted it in 2004.

I think they are still around- the are sailing on the freedom

• 4 weeks later...

I realized that I "upgraded" from balcony guarantee to pay an extra $100+ to the obstructed view balcony category. Shiesty travel agent at PRICELINE.com did not bother to tell me the lowest category of a balcony IS the obstructed view!! So, of course, they wouldn't change my reservation after I booked it :mad:

So, I would say, from personal experience that if you want to save money, book a balcony guarantee; if you do an upgrade, go 2 categories up for unobstructed guaranteed. Don't be a chump like me, and PAY extra for a obstructed balcony.....

And don't book thru priceline!!

Archived