First cruise in 11 years. Any advice?

benjaminhuf

Ben, what a coincidence! I didn't pay attention to the cruise you and your daughter were taking when I posted on your thread...but I just booked this cruise for DH and me to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. So I'll be looking for the professor and the well behaved teenage daughter aboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi Helen,

Very nice! Hope to meet at some point on the cruise.++

And congratulations on your 30th anniversary. My wife and I are planning an anniversary cruise next year for our 25th.

Best, Ben

It is recommended that you have photocopies of your passports to carry with you and leave the originals in your safe.

If you are going to San Juan, you will need your actual passports to get on the pier when you return to the ship.

Thanks!

Food will probably not be near as good as you remember. What's in the specialty rest. is what the MDR used to be like. Your daughter will have no issue at all going to the specialty rest. Though there were few children on the trips we've been on, all were welcome with their parents pretty much anywhere on board. Discounts for the rest. are frequent. Don't feel pressured to buy on the spot when you see the staff promoting the rest. For excursions, just check the website. Don't feel obligated to "prebuy" before you board. When you check on line you'll get a little more informed as to the ones you might want to book. Once on board seek out the excursion desk & DO ask questions.

Good tips! Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally checked in online, and printed on regular paper the luggage tags. Haven't cut them out yet, but what's a good way to keep them attached to the luggage? Tape? Is there a clear tag holder you can buy for this?

Another question. I'm traveling with my teenage daughter, since my wife can't get off of work. For sea days sometimes she might like to pay a video game, and then we could also use that console to play movies in our room if we want. I assume the TVs in Equinox are regular ones where it's possible to do this? Thanks in advance.

I finally checked in online, and printed on regular paper the luggage tags. Haven't cut them out yet, but what's a good way to keep them attached to the luggage? Tape? Is there a clear tag holder you can buy for this?

Another question. I'm traveling with my teenage daughter, since my wife can't get off of work. For sea days sometimes she might like to pay a video game, and then we could also use that console to play movies in our room if we want. I assume the TVs in Equinox are regular ones where it's possible to do this? Thanks in advance.

I don't know where you are, but if you're in the US, you can call Captains Club and they will mail you the self-adhesive tags (similar to airline tags). You can also arrive at the port and they will apply tags there, or you can purchase tags from a variety of sources, one of which is cruise critic. Have a wonderful trip.

I use tape. If you fold out the printed tags as indicated, they're almost exactly the width of clear packing tape. Take a roll and dispenser with you, along with a bunch of printed out tags. Fold tags, cover with a strip of tape, and use more tape to attach the ends together after you loop them through your luggage handles.

It's easy, and works well. And you've got tape in case of any emergencies on the trip (great for minor hem repairs, etc.) ;)

As for the TV, not sure if you can connect anything to it. I suspect not.

Pleased to report I'll be on your cruise along with my wife, 18 y/o daughter & 15 y/o Zelda addicted son so your daughter won't be the only teenager. In fact in July we'll be attending a Zelda concert with a symphony orchestra.

Can't speak for Equinox, but the TV's on the Silhouette have an HDMI connection and can be used for X Box, etc. I would think the TV's on Equinox are similar. If not my kids are going to be very disappointed!

Pleased to report I'll be on your cruise along with my wife, 18 y/o daughter & 15 y/o Zelda addicted son so your daughter won't be the only teenager. In fact in July we'll be attending a Zelda concert with a symphony orchestra.

Can't speak for Equinox, but the TV's on the Silhouette have an HDMI connection and can be used for X Box, etc. I would think the TV's on Equinox are similar. If not my kids are going to be very disappointed!

Thanks! And cool about your son being a Zelda fan. As you probably read, my 15-year old daughter is too. We went to the Zelda concert last year and it was great. Who knows, maybe we can meet and see if they want to play Zelda...? She has Nintendo switch, which your son might have too.

Thanks! And cool about your son being a Zelda fan. As you probably read, my 15-year old daughter is too. We went to the Zelda concert last year and it was great. Who knows, maybe we can meet and see if they want to play Zelda...? She has Nintendo switch, which your son might have too.

The switch is new for us this week so it will definitely be packed into a suitcase.

I thought about that too, but my son will most definitely revolt if he even sniffs of some kind of set up, so I think the only way it could happen is if it's organic

Regardless, I'm sure you & your daughter will have a wonderful time. The "S" class Celebrity ships are wonderful and, to me, the perfect relaxing escape from life.

BTW, I'm sure you'll find the MDR just fine for your dining needs. We'll only be having dinner in a specialty restaurant one night....have our eye on the Asian restaurant....I just can't justify putting out the extra fee when an acceptable meal...one that at a minimum is considerably better than any of the chain restaurants we go to as a family....is included elsewhere.

Enjoy!

I can't emphasize enough how useful the roll calls are. If your roll call is not very active, visit other rolls calls for your same cruise but different dates. You'll still pick up a lot of useful information about excursions, about the ship, secrets shared, etc. Then if your roll call picks up, you'll have a bunch of stuff to share with your fellow cruisers. If not, you'll save a bunch on shore excursions. (We only use ship excursions if the timeframe window is short and getting back to the ship on time could be an issue). Be late from an excursion booked on the ship and they will wait for you. Be late from a private excursion, and the ship won't wait. (probably)

Enjoy your cruise - 11 years is too long.

Melissa