State Department issues travel alert for Europe

MixerDave

Nope, my plans are still on. There's no place on Earth that's 100% safe, and I'm not going to let a very minor alert stop me from living my life.

I actually get more nervous traveling into the U.S. than traveling into Europe. (Possibly because I once accidentally walked into the scene of an armed robbery when traveling in the U.S. and I also had a friend who was traveling through Fort Lauderdale when the airport shooting happened earlier this year.)

We travel to Europe 3-4 times a year. Already been there twice this year (back 2 days ago), will be there later in the year.

Wouldn't not alter our plans a lick due to a silly travel alert.

Terror attacks?

How about San Bernadino? Orlando? Charleston? Sandy Hook? Columbine? All slaughtered innocents.

Those who live in the shadow of their fear will never be able to find sunlight. Go out. Live. Experience.

The alert uses such language as "U.S. citizens should always be alert to the possibility that terrorist sympathizers or self-radicalized extremists may conduct attacks with little or no warning" and "U.S. citizens should exercise additional vigilance", but nowhere does it suggest that anyone reconsider travelling to Europe.

To answer the OP's question, no, I see no need to reconsider my cruise plans.

This is actually reiteration of a travel alert that's been in place for more than a year. It didn't stop us from traveling in Europe for more than a month last year, and won't stop us from taking our Med cruise this autumn.

Yeh travelling to Europe is really dangerous these days, as a result we booked a cruise around the Middle East and India. Bring your own body armour..

Anyone fancy joining us

Yeh travelling to Europe is really dangerous these days, as a result we booked a cruise around the Middle East and India. Bring your own body armour..

Anyone fancy joining us

We'll be there before you. That's after we've sailed The Med during the summer ;).

I live in NYC. I will apply the same level of vigilance as I do at home, which EVERYONE should do.

I just had to modify my trip because my land tour was cancelled due to low numbers-- was that due to an advisory? Who knows... but that wasn't my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No plans to change my planned travel to Europe next spring. I'll probably be safer there than I am with the crazy drivers here in Florida.

Actually, the crazy drivers head north at the beginning of may!:D

Never! One of the best cruises we every took was a Black Sea 17 day cruise that occurred several months after Russia annexed the Crimea. One of those days in Sochi, Russia (no problems whatsoever), and 3 days in Odessa Ukraine which we absolutely loved. At no time did any of us feel the least bit uneasy, and everywhere we were welcomed warmly as tourism had taken such a hit in the area.

No plans to change my planned travel to Europe next spring. I'll probably be safer there than I am with the crazy drivers here in Florida.

On another board (photography related, not that it matters) there was a link posted to a Travel Risk assessment for the countries of the world. I'll try to post the link below, but in brief, both the U.S. and most of Europe are shown as Moderate Risk, Canada is lower, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Finland, and New Zealand are the places to go if you want to feel safe, and by all means avoid Sudan, South Sudan, Somalia, etc.

http://images.comms.aon.com/Web/AON/%7B7b5853cc-35ba-4f85-a85b-3bced098e508%7D_Aon_-_Mapa_riesgo_terrorismo_2017.pdf

Clearly some places in the World are more risky due to terrorist. Places like Turkey and Egypt would be in that category. In my opinion, Europe as a whole is safer. Also, I would think places like Portugal, Ireland, Poland and Iceland are safer than big European cities like Paris or London. Still, I think the risks are low. It won't keep me away.