Why Can't CruiseCritic put together a relief fund together for Costa Maya?

flvol77

It would be nice to see CruiseCritic.com put together a relief fund together for Costa Maya - considering the port is really only a "cruise port"

Its just a thought but the thousands of members of CruiseCritic could stand together in showing support for the people of Costa Maya.

I think a lot of people are looking for ways to help but don't know who to trust and where to donate money to.

Thoughts?

Several CC members have been working with CC to try and find an official trustworthy relief effort... hopefully something will be coming soon. Otherwise, there is information to be found out there about organizations that have relief efforts, but I can't post it here...

Have you read the other threads? That might help... good luck!

Several CC members have been working with CC to try and find an official trustworthy relief effort... hopefully something will be coming soon. Otherwise, there is information to be found out there about organizations that have relief efforts, but I can't post it here...

Have you read the other threads? That might help... good luck!

I have but honestly I want to make sure that the money that I donate goes to the right people.

I have been through three hurricanes and saw the "fake" relief efforts that popped up everywhere after the storms and it ended up that little or none of that money went to where it was needed other than someones pocket.

With CC I know I can trust the site will do the right thing and get the money to the right people. We have close to 300k members, just think if we can avg $1 per member - 300k I am sure would help those people out tremendously and we could all be proud we were apart of something very good.

I am sure that if CC set up a reliable method to directly fund this area of Costa Maya, I would trust that. I have never felt so impacted by a storm. We had Charley 20 miles away, but we had so much to rely on. I realize that the folks in New Orleans did not and that will never be forgotten.

This is different somehow. These people have nothing and there is not an electric company on the way, ice and water from the National Guard etc. The isolation is incredible. Will the cruise lines help out as they did in Cozumel? I would volunteer in a minute.

How can CC members help in a real sense and know our efforts reach those who need it. We were there to enjoy their world and now it is gone. How can we help to restore their lives and their beautiful unspoiled haven?

Although I feel in some aspects similiar to others thoughts on this topic of Costa Maya, I have to say that our donations should be focused on our needs here in the USA and not abroad at this point and time. I have always been taught that "Charity starts at home" and am a firm believer in this. And before you start to flame for my opinion, I do donate a significant amount of money to the MDA foundation, Childrens Miracle Network and ALS foundation all of which are geared towards assistance in our country.

If CC elects to come up with some type of foundation to raise funds for ports of call that are indeed damaged from hurricanes, I just don't feel that I would be willing to donate additionally to areas that are vacation spots that I support when visiting already.

I for one would support any cruise critic charity for Costa Maya. I think we all have to decide as individuals who to support in any donations. Yes, there are charities here in the US that can always use assistance. I for one feel a huge pull to help the people of Costa Maya because they have NOTHING. As other posters have pointed out, Mexico does not compare to the US with having services available to help it's citizens. The majority of people in Mexico do not have money to help their own people. Count me in to help.

I remember the "additional" tour with Ivan and David. The homes were mostly sticks without walls. This is an area that will not be heard in the great voices of those in need. Too far away, not very important. We who have been blessed to receive their warm hospitality, who have, at least briefly, shared " their place" have the ability to offer help specifically to them.

Think of Katrina ( I am still involved with disaster related tasks.) everybody rushed aid to New Orleans, but the devastation in the bayous, the hidden fishing camps, the tiny coastal hamlets. etc. was hardly noticed except for federal programs. Yes, Charity begins at home, but who is my neighbor?... Help for Katrina came from many countries, just as so many helped in the tsunami in Indonesia. Works for me. Blessings, Gail

• Administrators
I have but honestly I want to make sure that the money that I donate goes to the right people.

I have been through three hurricanes and saw the "fake" relief efforts that popped up everywhere after the storms and it ended up that little or none of that money went to where it was needed other than someones pocket.

With CC I know I can trust the site will do the right thing and get the money to the right people. We have close to 300k members, just think if we can avg $1 per member - 300k I am sure would help those people out tremendously and we could all be proud we were apart of something very good.

We want to see the money get where it is supposed to as well. However, we're a small company and we simply aren't in a position to 'conduct a relief effort'. We have no means to get the goods/money there, anymore than any other person at this time. It has even been reported that Continental Airlines cannot get supplies through Mexican customs, free of fear of items becoming lost.

Please make a donation through the Red Cross. It is the best we can offer at this time.

I think all of us who are refering to Costa Maya are refering to the area, not the port. The money or donations are for the people who live in that area, not for the people who own the port. I was just there less than a month ago and I can assure you that the vast majority of people living in that area are dirt poor. Their poverty cannot even come close to the poverty in this country. I don't think that any of us want to see our hard earned dollars donated to the wrong source. The suggestion of the Red Cross is an excellent one. I personally did donate to another site which I knew had the possibility of going to the wrong hands. I just feel like karma will catch up to anyone who is wrongfully taking money for their own gain and I wanted to see that the money got to the people quickly. It was worth the risk for me. I will also be making a donation to the Red Cross once I verify that the funds will go to the Hurricane Dean victims as well. These people need our help! I am sad that CC cannot help with this endeavor. Please everyone, find it in your hearts to donate to this cause!

We want to see the money get where it is supposed to as well. However, we're a small company and we simply aren't in a position to 'conduct a relief effort'. We have no means to get the goods/money there, anymore than any other person at this time. It has even been reported that Continental Airlines cannot get supplies through Mexican customs, free of fear of items becoming lost.

Please make a donation through the Red Cross. It is the best we can offer at this time.

I am sure the companies - namely the small hotel in Playa were not set up to conduct relief - but they did.

It is interesting that an industry that profits from the area - including CC can not give anything back.

This is the problem I have with donating to the Red Cross::eek:

American National Red Cross

emergency relief

Washington, DC

Top Person: Marsha Evans

Top Salary:* $651,957

I trust the hotel on Trip Advisor to get the residents what they need.

This is the problem I have with donating to the Red Cross::eek:

American National Red Cross

emergency relief

Washington, DC

Top Person: Marsha Evans

Top Salary:* $651,957

I trust the hotel on Trip Advisor to get the residents what they need.

Marsha Evans resigned under pressure from the ARC back in Dec, 2005. ref = http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/03/AR2006030301734.html

The salary figure that you quote is an unproven urban legend. ref = http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_charities_salaries.htm

Charity Navigator is a website that specifically tracks the efficiency of large charities. They quote the CEO salary to be $416,010 as of 06/2005. They also show the ARC has an efficiency of about 91% (that is, 91c of every dollar donated is spent on the programs they are intended for). ref = http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/bay/search.summary/orgid/3277.htm

They also have an interview with the current CEO, Mark Everson. He is asked about his salary in the interview. ref = http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/bay/content.view/cpid/624

Finally, there's some additional reading about current ARC performance on the Wikipedia page about the ARC. ref = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Red_Cross

" Charity Navigator is a website that specifically tracks the efficiency of large charities. They quote the CEO salary to be $416,010 as of 06/2005. They also show the ARC has an efficiency of about 91% (that is, 91c of every dollar donated is spent on the programs they are intended for). ref = http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/bay/search.summary/orgid/3277.htm"

Thank you, I still say that the $416,010 is coming from donations. :rolleyes:

Archived