Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > British Isles/Western Europe

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

British Isles/Western Europe Amsterdam, Brugge, Dublin, Edinburgh, London (Dover, Harwich, Southampton)

Old May 17th, 2005, 09:01 PM
10,000+ Club

Default Question about train tickets in the UK

This didn't get any responses on the "Britain" board, so I'll try here! The special cruise trains from London Liverpool Street Station to Harwich International are now shown at www.thetrainline.com - and I am thinking of ordering tickets for our July 2nd cruise. But I have a few questions to ask first. I am surprised that the "standard open return" fare is less expensive than the "saver return." Am I missing something, or are we just lucky? If I understand this correctly, I am choosing to take a specific train each way, but could actually take an earlier or later train with the "standard open return" ticket, right?

Old May 19th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Nancy

Yes you can take any train (on the same day or the next day for the outward journey) and any train within a month for the return

You don't need to select any specific time but you may want to reserve a seat to ensure you get one but it doesn't matter if you then don't use that seat because you say miss the train and end up getting the next one

Don't know why the Saver fare is more expensive on this particular route but prices can change the nearer you get to travel dates depending on availability

Cheers
Nyree
Nottingham, UK