Extra days in Budapest and/or Bucharest?

mushroom

It's too early for me to book my air, so I'm still refining what I want to do before and or after our Eastern European cruise in 2017. We start in Bucharest and end in Budapest. Uniworld gives us a day in each place as part of their itinerary. Should I plan to add a day or two on my own at either end? It will be my first time to either place and I will welcome your suggestions and ideas!

I have not been to Bucharest but last year we added an extra two days to our time in Budapest. We wandered around the market where the prices were less expensive for paprika than the ship, ate authentic food upstairs, went to the zoo (not worth it), strolled around Andrassy Street. We had wanted to go to the baths but it was just too hot outside.

Either side works. There's plenty to see on both sides of the river. We liked the Four Seasons at the chain bridge. Agree that public transportation is extensive and easy to use. Plenty cheap too.

I think I'll do some extra research on Budapest...starting with which side of the river to be on. Any suggestions here?

To me there is so much more to do on the Pest side, so I would rather be there. The Buda Castle is beautiful as is the Parliament building, so you have to limit one of those as your view. So, I would choose more shops and restaurants, so for me Pest which means view of the castle.

I would agree that Bucharest is overall poorer than Budapest. I would, also agree the further east the less sophisticated. That said, we found the food in Bucharest to be good with lots of wonderful street restaurants in the old town. Our experience as we traveled from Romania, to Bulgaria, to Serbia, to Hungary and eventually to Austria to be a gradual increase in wealth and sophistication. However, we enjoyed all and found that all of these places would be comfortable to stay in. We generally had no problem communicating in any of these countries in the former eastern bloc, especially, with younger people.

JC

Edited by xpcdoojk

Your observation that sophistication and wealth increase as you move west is one of the main reasons we chose to cruise in this direction. I've been fortunate in my 74 years of life to experience much of the world outside the US. However, this particular itinerary touches on many places I've never had the opportunity to visit. I purposely chose to tackle the more challenging places at the start of the trip and end up with more familiar surroundings. I sincerely appreciate your comments and insights.

Mushroom- We're taking this trip, Budapest to Bucharest, in less than a month.

We previously ended a cruise in Budapest and spent a day there. Based on how much we enjoyed the city, we are flying in 3 days early. We are staying on the Pest side as we enjoy walking....as long as it is flat for my wife. Buda is the hilly side with the castle and Fishermen's Bastion, which has the great views overlooking Pest. Pest seems more central to the museums, Hero's square and other attractions. Public transportation goes everywhere.

On the end, we're spending an extra 5 nights; one night in Bucharest before we fly home and 4 nights in Brasov and Sibiu. These are old Saxon cities, which are supposed to be pretty nifty. Time will tell. There is regular train service along with scheduled van service between towns in Transylvania, which so far has been easy to research on the web. Private guides are also available. I want to see these areas for the same reason you mention: "the many places I never had the opportunity to visit".

For years these countries were off limits, then I didn't have the money to travel. Now I have a little money and an understanding boss, so extra days on both ends is my answer. :)

If you can, add a few days at both ends. At the beginning you can start to deal with getting your body adjusted to the time difference while exploring on your own at your own pace. The river cruise is going to keep you hopping and jet lag might get the better of you. It also gives you a cushion of time in case of missed connections or lost luggage.

RB