Viking shorts at dinner?

Redtravel

I have sailed on Viking in cooler weather. Most people dressed in casual attire.....kakis, jeans, etc. This time, I am sailing when it is hot. Most of the cruise (Budapest to Amsterdam) will be warm. Can I wear shorts to dinner?

Of course you can. You're on vacation. Why shouldn't you wear shorts to dinner?

I appreciate the info. This summer has been extremely hot in the US and in Europe. In July, I did a Baltic cruise. Most of the time, the weather was hot and dry. It was not what I expected. I packed lots of long pants and 2 pairs of shorts. I wore shorts on most days. I have been watching the weather for my cruise ports. Most have been in the 70-80 range. Only Amsterdam is cooler. 60s. I sail in a few days.

I appreciate the info. This summer has been extremely hot in the US and in Europe.

Clearly we have been in different parts of the US and Europe as this year has mostly been cooler than usual everywhere I've been.

70-80 is at best warn, 60 is virtually winter :)

The good news though is that Viking has no dress code so if you feel comfortable and suitably dressed for diner in shorts then go right ahead and enjoy...

From FAQs on Viking's web page.

FuelScience

Dress during the day is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), trousers or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. There are no “formal nights” and recommended evening dress is “elegant casual” such as a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for ladies; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. Ties and jackets are optional. We suggest you pack comfortable walking shoes, dressier shoes, a collapsible umbrella/lightweight rain gear; items you can layer like lightweight jackets/sweaters; sunglasses, a sun hat/visor, sunscreen; and toiletries including a travel-sized hand sanitizer. Depending on the season and destination, you may also want to add a warm coat, gloves and water-resistant footwear.

I appreciate the info. This summer has been extremely hot in the US and in Europe. In July, I did a Baltic cruise. Most of the time, the weather was hot and dry.

Your body thermostat must be different from mine. I was in the Baltic in July with my family. All our photos show us with fleece jackets early in the morning and in the evenings; t-shirts only in the afternoon. None of us ever wore shorts - we are all Floridians. :cool:

Even tho it may be hot outside, the interior public spaces are VERY well air conditioned. In 21 river cruises have only seen a gentleman in shorts in the dining room at dinner once. It was 103 degrees F on the Rhone in 1006. They had just arrived back on the boat in time for dinner. It can be chilly in the dining room and lounge. It is your vacation, but also all of your traveling companions.

We have been known for bringing the heat. July in Stockholm is usually cold. I have been there in July years ago when it snowed. This year, it was in the 80s when we were there. Copenhagen and Oslo were also warm this year. In Warmerunde, we went to the beach. It was crowded. I have been watching the weather for my cruise. With the exception of Amsterdam, most places have been hot and dry. I have been to Amsterdam many times. It is usually cool and wet. Packing a mixture of clothing. I plan to use the ship laundry.

We're on Viking Kara right now, Amsterdam to Basel. I have not seen anyone wear shorts to dinner. Most people change from their daytime clothes to dressy casual. My husband had shorts and t-shirt for daytime and changed to nice golf Polo and linen pants for dinner. I had on dark cotton pants and Polo Shirt for day and upgraded the top for dinner and put on heels instead of walking shoes. Most--like 90% most--were dressed in similar fashion.

Five river cruises and I have not seen people ware shorts for dinner.

Would you people ware shorts to church and to a nice restaurant on a date?

Well, some would.

I'm just glad my husband shares my taste in what's proper to wear in various venues.

I didn't see any shorts for dinner our our Vantage cruise last year, but maybe Viking is different.

Five river cruises and I have not seen people ware shorts for dinner.

Would you people ware shorts to church and to a nice restaurant on a date?

In south Florida they do (although I'm not taking a personal stance one way or the other :D).

In south Florida they do (although I'm not taking a personal stance one way or the other :D).

In Texas, jeans, boots and a good shirt will get you in anywhere, but it doesn't mean I do that when I'm in New York :)

Seriously though, there isn't an enforced dress code on Viking, but if you want to know what others will be wearing, 'smart casual' pretty much covers it for 99.9% of the time.

The A/C also tends to discourage shorts at dinner.

The issue of Viking dress and shorts at dinner has been addressed ad nausea. Yes, it occurs during the warm weather months and much more that just 0.01% as suggested above, far more!

Viking does not enforce any dress code on its ships. Uniworld, on its European cruises, has a strict no shorts policy at dinner and it is enforced. Different lines with different policies and procedures.

Yes, it occurs during the warm weather months and much more that just 0.01% as suggested above, far more!

Then we need to subdivide a little, on Viking cruises outside Europe the 0.01% would cover it in my experience.

I ... put on heels instead of walking shoes. Most--like 90% most--were dressed in similar fashion.

I've been debating about whether to bring dressier shoes - heels - for dinners. (Viking, Bucharest to Budapest in September.) I like to wear heels when I dress nicer, but was under the impression no one really did that on a river cruise.

Interesting to hear that wasn't the case on your cruise. Would be interested in others' observations.

The OP has probably realised by now that when you ask about river cruise attire the "CC fashion police" always will direct you to the way they expect you to dress whilst on-board. Now if they've paid for your holiday then of course you should dress the way they tell you BUT if you've paid for the cruise yourself then I would counsel that you can dress as you desire. It is your holiday and your wardrobe.

We're on Viking Kara right now, Amsterdam to Basel. I have not seen anyone wear shorts to dinner. Most people change from their daytime clothes to dressy casual. My husband had shorts and t-shirt for daytime and changed to nice golf Polo and linen pants for dinner. I had on dark cotton pants and Polo Shirt for day and upgraded the top for dinner and put on heels instead of walking shoes. Most--like 90% most--were dressed in similar fashion.
..Would be interested in others' observations.
I have been on a dozen river cruises in Europe (and more elsewhere), including several on Viking. I have requoted in its entirity the msg that you partially quoted. I can believe that 90% of passengers (at least on a number of cruises) are some semblance of dressy casual. I would be astounded if 90% of the women on any river cruise anywhere wore heels (which is how I read your partial quote). Feel free to wear heels; they will be perfectly acceptable, but don't expect that to be the norm.

I wholeheartedly agree with ozjohnno. I will go on to say that I didnt care what anyone else was wearing at dinner on any of the three river cruises I have been on, thus far. It's not my business, it has no impact on my enjoyment of a cruise.

I was on Uniworld's Venice and the Po River cruise a couple of years ago. The restaurant manager told my husband and me, "Be comfortable, wear what you want. It's your vacation and you've paid a lot of money." There was a gentleman who wore shorts a couple of nights, and wasn't turned away, nor did anyone glare at him.

Enjoy your trip!

Robin